Trying out an energy conservation program at work.

  • evelyn sardina
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 4, 2007
      Does anyone know how much energy would be saved if someone turned off their computers and monitors for approximatly 8 hours average every day at the office?  We have over 200 computers at one location, at least.  If anyone has an idea I would really appreciate.

    • Shafer, Mark B
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 4, 2007

        I run 300 computers.  I run a script to shut them down at night and wake them up in the morning.

        Rom must be set for Wake on lan.

        Does anyone know how much energy would be saved if someone turned off their computers and monitors for approximatly 8 hours average every day at the office?  We have over 200 computers at one location, at least.  If anyone has an idea I would really appreciate.

      • Paul Archer
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 4, 2007

          Typical desktop machine draws between 80-120 watts, with a monitor (active,
          anyway) using about 70 watts. A monitor in standby mode might be only 5-10
          watts, maybe less. These numbers are strictly from my experience, mind you.

          If you assume 85 watts total for computers and monitors in standby mode, and
          $.14/kwh, turning them off for 8 hours a day would save about $500/month.
          I'm guessing it would actually be more if they are currently left on during
          the weekend.

          Paul
        • evelyn sardina
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 4, 2007
            Thanks!  They are on stand by 24/7.  This gives me something to start with.  We also have laptops on our desks.  We have about 3,000 employees in all.  I'm thinking if it goes well I will pass on to the entire company. I appreciate it.

            Paul Archer <tigger@...> wrote:
> [...]

            Never miss an email again!
            Yahoo! Toolbar

          • Bruce Pullig
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 4, 2007

              My 17” monitor uses 59 Watts when being used, and 1 Watt when in standby mode.

              I have a Sun server that uses 155 Watts, so most PCs are going to use significantly less.

              My laptop uses 18 Watts when being used and 7 Watts when turned off.

              Bruce

              Bruce Pullig
              bruce@...

              http://www.pullig.com

              Proverbs 28:20 A faithful man shall abound with blessings; But he that maketh haste to be rich shall not be unpunished.