Re: [hreg] Travel & CO2 offsets

  • evelyn sardina
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 3 3:31 PM
      Might be a good idea to volunteer to plant those trees when non-profits start asking for people to help in their respective areas.  This may have more of an impact.

      Bashir Syed <bsyed@...> wrote:
      Very good suggestion! It is a good gimmick - enticing someone else to buy Carbon Credits for a rich corporation like Continental!

      Bashir A. Syed
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 3 9:56 PM
        We just got back from a trip to Laredo. And I discovered a few things.  First, it's better to travel at night, so you don't have to run the ac, which accelerates the gas consumption.

        Second, we went over to Mexico and rode the cart pulled by the donkey.  It had a canopy and was much cooler than the taxi would have been in the back seat, with or without ac.

        Third, on advise that the return traffic was really backed up, we walked across the border instead of driving.  It was much better than driving, finding parking, sweating like a scoop of ice cream, etc.  It was more fun, better exercise, less tiring, etc.

        Finally, before I go again, I'm going to check out the bus fares.  If they have one of those Mexican buses with an express fare, that's how I'm traveling to Laredo from now on.

        ------------ --------- --------- ------

        > I just returned from Denver flying Continental. Both flights were completely
        > full, even first class. I didn't travel standby, just regular old advance
        > purchase ticket. I had no trouble getting on either flight.
        >
        > I did book my ticket through Expedia, and Expedia gave me the chance to buy
        > CO2 offsets for my flight for an extra $5, which I did. This was done through
        > something called " Terra Pass ", more info at www.terrapass. com.
        >
        > Steve
        >

        > http://toolbar. Care2.com Make your computer carbon-neutral (free).
        >
        > http://www.Care2. com Green Living, Human Rights and more - 7 million members!

        The fish are biting.

      • Kevin Conlin
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 4 10:10 AM

          I question the validity of these CO2 offset purchases, it has been revealed recently that this is a very new scam, many of the companies offering the credits have no way to actually honor them, and are just using the ruse to make money.

          The green credits being purchased globally far exceed those legitimately available.

          Mr. Solar Curmudgeon.

          ________________________

          Kevin Conlin

          Solarcraft, Inc.

          4007 C Greenbriar

          Stafford, TX 77477-4536

          Local (281) 340-1224

          Toll Free (877) 340-1224

          Fax 281 340 1230

          kconlin@...

          www.solarcraft.net

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 4 11:26 AM
            So how would a person be able to verify the companies that are legit?  Are they all a scam? Is there a list like the ones for charities that you can verify the information?

            Kevin Conlin <kconlin@...> wrote:
            I question the validity of these CO2 offset purchases, it has been revealed recently that this is a very new scam, many of the companies offering the credits have no way to actually honor them, and are just using the ruse to make money.
            The green credits being purchased globally far exceed those legitimately available.
            Mr. Solar Curmudgeon.
            ____________ _________ ___
            Kevin Conlin
            Solarcraft, Inc.
            4007 C Greenbriar
            Stafford, TX 77477-4536
            Local (281) 340-1224
            Toll Free (877) 340-1224
            Fax 281 340 1230

            I just returned from Denver flying Continental. Both flights were completely full, even first class. I didn't travel standby, just regular old advance purchase ticket. I had no trouble getting on either flight.

            I did book my ticket through Expedia, and Expedia gave me the chance to buy CO2 offsets for my flight for an extra $5, which I did. This was done through something called "Terra Pass", more info at www.terrapass. com.

            Steve

            http://toolbar. Care2.com Make your computer carbon-neutral (free).

            http://www.Care2. com Green Living, Human Rights and more - 7 million members!

            Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.