RE: [hreg] Travel & CO2 offsets

  • Robert Johnston
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 3, 2007

      Not sure one happens to the money except for one thing:  it leaves your wallet!

      I would think people in this group might have more interest in spending the $5 on RE equipment for their own homes/transportation than sent it to some organization for carbon offsets.

      Robert

      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 3, 2007
        Very good suggestion! It is a good gimmick - enticing someone else to buy Carbon Credits for a rich corporation like Continental!

        Bashir A. Syed

        ------------ --------- --------- ------

        > I just returned from Denver flying Continental. Both flights were completely
        > full, even first class. I didn't travel standby, just regular old advance
        > purchase ticket. I had no trouble getting on either flight.
        >
        > I did book my ticket through Expedia, and Expedia gave me the chance to buy
        > CO2 offsets for my flight for an extra $5, which I did. This was done through
        > something called " Terra Pass ", more info at www.terrapass. com.
        >
        > Steve
        >

        > http://toolbar. Care2.com Make your computer carbon-neutral (free).
        >
        > http://www.Care2. com Green Living, Human Rights and more - 7 million members!

      • evelyn sardina
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 3, 2007
          Might be a good idea to volunteer to plant those trees when non-profits start asking for people to help in their respective areas.  This may have more of an impact.

          Bashir Syed <bsyed@...> wrote:
          Very good suggestion! It is a good gimmick - enticing someone else to buy Carbon Credits for a rich corporation like Continental!

          Bashir A. Syed
          Not sure one happens to the money except for one thing:  it leaves your wallet!
          I would think people in this group might have more interest in spending the $5 on RE equipment for their own homes/transportatio n than sent it to some organization for carbon offsets.
          Robert

          generously credit my Prius the full government-declared mileage, which is higher
          than the overall 44 mpg I used to get (now only 40-42 since ethanol came in).
          At any rate , they tell me that flying commercially HOU <--> LAX uses up +/- the
          same number of gallons of fuel that I would consume by driving.

          Does anyone out there know just what happens to money sent to them (in terms
          that mathematically impaired people like me can understand)?

          Ariel
          generations.
          ------------ --------- --------- ------

          > I just returned from Denver flying Continental. Both flights were completely
          > full, even first class. I didn't travel standby, just regular old advance
          > purchase ticket. I had no trouble getting on either flight.
          >
          > I did book my ticket through Expedia, and Expedia gave me the chance to buy
          > CO2 offsets for my flight for an extra $5, which I did. This was done through
          > something called " Terra Pass ", more info at www.terrapass. com.
          >
          > Steve
          >

          > http://toolbar. Care2.com Make your computer carbon-neutral (free).
          >
          > http://www.Care2. com Green Living, Human Rights and more - 7 million members!

        • Susan Modikoane
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 3, 2007
            We just got back from a trip to Laredo. And I discovered a few things.  First, it's better to travel at night, so you don't have to run the ac, which accelerates the gas consumption.

            Second, we went over to Mexico and rode the cart pulled by the donkey.  It had a canopy and was much cooler than the taxi would have been in the back seat, with or without ac.

            Third, on advise that the return traffic was really backed up, we walked across the border instead of driving.  It was much better than driving, finding parking, sweating like a scoop of ice cream, etc.  It was more fun, better exercise, less tiring, etc.

            Finally, before I go again, I'm going to check out the bus fares.  If they have one of those Mexican buses with an express fare, that's how I'm traveling to Laredo from now on.

            Bashir Syed <bsyed@worldnet. att.net> wrote:
            Very good suggestion! It is a good gimmick - enticing someone else to buy Carbon Credits for a rich corporation like Continental!

            Bashir A. Syed
            Not sure one happens to the money except for one thing:  it leaves your wallet!
            I would think people in this group might have more interest in spending the $5 on RE equipment for their own homes/transportatio n than sent it to some organization for carbon offsets.
            Robert

            generously credit my Prius the full government-declared mileage, which is higher
            than the overall 44 mpg I used to get (now only 40-42 since ethanol came in).
            At any rate , they tell me that flying commercially HOU <--> LAX uses up +/- the
            same number of gallons of fuel that I would consume by driving.

            Does anyone out there know just what happens to money sent to them (in terms
            that mathematically impaired people like me can understand)?

            Ariel
            generations.
            ------------ --------- --------- ------

            > I just returned from Denver flying Continental. Both flights were completely
            > full, even first class. I didn't travel standby, just regular old advance
            > purchase ticket. I had no trouble getting on either flight.
            >
            > I did book my ticket through Expedia, and Expedia gave me the chance to buy
            > CO2 offsets for my flight for an extra $5, which I did. This was done through
            > something called " Terra Pass ", more info at www.terrapass. com.
            >
            > Steve
            >

            > http://toolbar. Care2.com Make your computer carbon-neutral (free).
            >
            > http://www.Care2. com Green Living, Human Rights and more - 7 million members!

            The fish are biting.

          • Kevin Conlin
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 4, 2007

              I question the validity of these CO2 offset purchases, it has been revealed recently that this is a very new scam, many of the companies offering the credits have no way to actually honor them, and are just using the ruse to make money.

              The green credits being purchased globally far exceed those legitimately available.

              Mr. Solar Curmudgeon.

              ________________________

              Kevin Conlin

              Solarcraft, Inc.

              4007 C Greenbriar

              Stafford, TX 77477-4536

              Local (281) 340-1224

              Toll Free (877) 340-1224

              Fax 281 340 1230

              kconlin@...

              www.solarcraft.net

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 4, 2007
                So how would a person be able to verify the companies that are legit?  Are they all a scam? Is there a list like the ones for charities that you can verify the information?

                Kevin Conlin <kconlin@...> wrote:
                I question the validity of these CO2 offset purchases, it has been revealed recently that this is a very new scam, many of the companies offering the credits have no way to actually honor them, and are just using the ruse to make money.
                The green credits being purchased globally far exceed those legitimately available.
                Mr. Solar Curmudgeon.
                ____________ _________ ___
                Kevin Conlin
                Solarcraft, Inc.
                4007 C Greenbriar
                Stafford, TX 77477-4536
                Local (281) 340-1224
                Toll Free (877) 340-1224
                Fax 281 340 1230

                I just returned from Denver flying Continental. Both flights were completely full, even first class. I didn't travel standby, just regular old advance purchase ticket. I had no trouble getting on either flight.

                I did book my ticket through Expedia, and Expedia gave me the chance to buy CO2 offsets for my flight for an extra $5, which I did. This was done through something called "Terra Pass", more info at www.terrapass. com.

                Steve

                http://toolbar. Care2.com Make your computer carbon-neutral (free).

                http://www.Care2. com Green Living, Human Rights and more - 7 million members!

                Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.