Re: [hreg] Continental Airlines offers carbon offsetting program

  • evelyn sardina
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 2, 2007
      Yeap.  I stood at the airport for two days trying to get out to Florida.  I always fly stand by and had never seen it like this.  People that had payed for their tickets had been held up two and three days.  I spoke to different people at the airport.  My trip was to Orlando and people were loosing money on passes they bought for the different theme parks.  There were families with children being put up in hotels.  Lots of very angry people.  I called a source and asked to check the flight situation.  She said they had overbooked every single flight for the entire Memorial Day weekend.  It would not be possible to leave on stand by because they were giving garanteed  seats to paying customers whom gave up their seats for others, on the following flights.  As much as I hated being stuck there, and by the way I lost reservations myself for a dinner show,  I was not angry.  Took my daugther and a couple of pillows and drove to Florida.  If I had known I would have left with them earlier in the week.
      Word to the wise.  When they were deciding who was staying and who was leaving they looked for things like boarding passes.  If you had not printed one when you made reservations online they counted that against you.  They did this to a lady traveling with a two year old.  I also learned that when they send you to a different terminal to catch another flight the first person to sign up at the terminal will get priority no matter how early you buy the ticket.  For those of you planning to travel by plane,  I would suggest to dot all your i's and cross all your t's when making your reservations.  This was happening in all the airlines.  They were using each other to get people to their destinations.  I would have never done this in the past but perhaps this would be a good time to start buying travel insurance.  I don't sell this so if anyone has used it before I would appreciate the information.

      Rohini & Ethan <rohinib@...> wrote:
      The last several Continental flights I've flown have been packed.  Standbys have had trouble getting seats.

      On May 31, 2007, at 8:12 PM, Ariel Thomann wrote:

      I dunno. I think I'll stick with my beloved nutty Southwest -- a full plane is
      much more fuel-efficient than one that's half empty, or so I think. Am I right?

      > Article in today's Chronicle says Continental will offer passengers a chance
      > to counter the environmental effects of their flights by participating in a
      > carbon offsetting program.
      > _http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/business/4849662.html_
      > (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/business/4849662.html)
      > ************************************** See what's free at http://www.aol.com.