Interesting....

  • boylss@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 27, 2001
      Worth Reading!
          We have all been poking fun at the recent debacle we are in.  The nice
      thing about America is we can laugh at ourselves.  It ain't perfect but the
      best mankind has come up with yet.

      TRIBUTE TO THE UNITED STATES
          This, from a Canadian newspaper, is worth sharing.

      America: The Good Neighbor.
          Widespread but only partial news coverage was given recently to a
      remarkable editorial broadcast from Toronto by Gordon Sinclair, a Canadian
      television Commentator. What follows is the full text of his trenchant
      remarks as printed in the Congressional Record:
         "This Canadian thinks it is time to speak up for the Americans as the
      most generous and possibly the least appreciated people on all the earth.
      Germany, Japan and, to a lesser extent, Britain and Italy were lifted out of
      the debris of war by the Americans who poured in billions of dollars and
      forgave other billions in debts.
            None of these countries is today paying even the interest on its
      remaining debts to the United States.  When France was in danger of
      collapsing in 1956, it was the Americans who propped it up, and their reward
      was to be insulted and swindled on the streets of Paris. I was there. I saw
      it.
          When earthquakes hit distant cities, it is the United States that
      hurries in to help.  This spring, 59 American communities were flattened by
       tornadoes. Nobody helped.
      The Marshall Plan and the Truman Policy pumped billions of dollars into
      discouraged countries.  Now newspapers in those countries are writing about
      the decadent, warmongering Americans.  I'd like to see just one of those
      countries that is    gloating over the erosion of the United States dollar
      build its own airplane. Does any    other country in the world have a plane
      to equal the Boeing Jumbo Jet, the Lockheed Tri-Star, or the Douglas DC10?
             If so, why don't they fly them?  Why do all the International lines
      except Russia fly American Planes? Why does no other land on earth even
      consider putting a man or woman on the moon? You talk about Japanese
      technocracy, and you get radios. You talk about German technocracy, and you
       get automobiles. You talk about American technocracy, and you find men on
      the moon -- not once, but several times -- and safely home again.
          You talk about scandals, and the Americans put theirs right in the store
      window for everybody to look at. Even their draft-dodgers are not pursued and
      hounded.  They are here on our streets, and most of them, unless they are
      breaking Canadian laws, are getting American dollars from ma and pa at home
      to spend here.
           When the railways of France, Germany and India were breaking down
      through age, it was the Americans who rebuilt them. When the Pennsylvania
      Railroad and the New York Central went broke, nobody loaned them an old
      caboose. Both are still broke.
            I can name you 5000 times when the Americans raced to the help of
      other people in trouble.  Can you name me even one time when someone else
      raced to the Americans in trouble?  I don't think there was outside help even
      during the San Francisco earthquake.
            Our neighbors have faced it alone, and I'm one Canadian who is damned
      tired of hearing them get kicked around.  They will come out of this thing
      with their flag high.  And when they do, they are entitled to thumb their
      nose at the lands that are gloating over their present troubles.  I hope
      Canada is not one of those."
          Stand proud, America!  Wear it proudly!!
        This is one of the best editorials that I have ever read regarding the
      United States. It is nice that one man realizes it.  I only wish that the
      rest of the world would realize it. We are always blamed for everything, and
      never even get a thank you for the things we do.
           I would hope that each of you would send This to as many people as you
      can and emphasize that they should send it to as many of their friends until
      this letter is sent to every person on the web. I am  just a single American
      that has read this
    • Dan from Texas
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 27, 2001
        Ddid anyone know that Godon Sinclair put these works to music and profduced a song in the late 70's or early 80's  It was very inseperational.

        Dan