Re: [hreg] Senate Energy Bill: Grab Bag Of Industry Wish-List Items

  • James Ferrill
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 26, 2001
      I wouldn't be surprised at all if the solar part kinda disappeared by getting sacrificed for other stuff in the bill. I'll believe it when I see it. On the other hand, hearing the words "national energy strategy bill" is pretty amazing for a country that seems to fight all attempts to create a national energy policy.

      I think the goal of reducing our dependence on foreign oil is a hollow one. We only have 3% of the worlds oil reserves. As long as the oil lasts, we are stuck with dealing with the arab states. MIght as well make the most of it now while we build a better infrastructure. And the  oil-producing states need to consider that they will one day have no oil either and will need the technology we create.

      James

      At 02:35 PM 1/26/2001, you wrote:
      Hoo boy, let me see if I read that right  -  We're funding renewables by plundering one of the last pristine places in the country,  nuclear is now "renewable", as is cogeneration at steel mills and coal plants burning a little biomass?  I have to admit, it's pretty creative.   I applaud the effort to lessen our dependence on foreign oil,  but this seems like a solar scam for the big boys.  Guess we'll have to see what shakes out, but with a former James Watt protege heading for Interior, I do not feel good about this at all.   Kevin