Re: [hreg] How to propel cars - if drive we must

  • Edward Kramer
    Message 1 of 44 , May 11, 2007
      The real problem with fuel cell technology is that you need hydrogen to run the cells. the current hydrogen available is mostly made from methanol or some form of natural gas mix. Again, made from the oil cartels main product-carbon.
      Fuel cells are very expensive, much more than solar panels and only make electricity. Electricity is the most inefficient way to power your life, only good for lighting and small appliances. What I find most amazing, when you look at subsidies to renewable energy (tax credit), there is not one penny allotted for the use of water to produce hydrogen. That might tell you something about the cozy relationship to the governments interest in protecting special interests. Maybe 60 years from now, when most of the oil is used up, then you might see some strong actions.

      Edward Kramer
      www.pistolagrande.net

      Message 44 of 44 , May 21, 2007
        In my opinion, these corporations aren't successful.  They've held foreign investment strategies that have massacred and maimed whole societites in foreign countries, like Iraq.

        In my opinion the major oil corporations have to show growth to keep investors interested.  They have to have something that they can keep selling and the sun and wind won't fit their bill.  So, the former head of Chevron Pipeline is now at Archer Daniels Midland, because at least with corn, they have something that has to be produced, that they can use for "growth."

        Consider that most of the 401K's in America are being sent to corporations.  Corporations such as the major oil corporations that are locating offshore to avoid paying taxes here, hiring governments in places like Indonesia to torture anyone who questions their theiving, polluting ways.  Corporations in search of a field that will sustain their huge infastructure and that assasinate anyone who questions their tactics, like Nigerians.  When the 401K's aren't investing in renewable energy and the gas rationing starts later this summer, what do you think the consequences will be for our nation?  Where is the technology to get us out of this mess, Robert?  Is it gone the way of the solar energy and electric cars that those corporations have sought to eliminate since the 1970's?  Nuclear and coal fired plants aren't new or usable technology in this day and age.  The corporations are fixated on profit and the sun and wind don't promise the kind of profit they're looking for.

        Robert Johnston <junk1@...> wrote:
        Saying these companies are dinosaurs because there are no large reserves left in the continental US misses the point.  These companies are successful because they have technology, know-how, market presence, production assets, financial resources, organization, etc.  They leverage these resources globally, not just in the continental US.  Furthermore, the future of a corporation is not tied to a particular technology.  Even when oil is completely gone globally, these companies can still thrive.  Why does one major corporation advertise itself as “an energy corporation going beyond”?  The mission is not restricted to oil.  They see themselves as energy companies.  In the short term, they seek to maximize profits.  In the long term, they will pursue whatever path is most attractive to consumers (and since most consumers are driven by cost, the probable path will be the most cost-effective solution).  It may be nuclear.  It may be coal, or coal liquefaction/ gasification.  It may be LNG.  Maybe someday methane clathrates.  And, yes, renewable energy will play a part in this as well.  The winning technology will be implemented by the big players, regardless of whether it is oil based or not.  Sure, some companies will die, but I’d be willing to bet that the winners will continue to be large corporations, because that is what it takes to be successful in a technology and resource intensive field.  The history of corporations shows how common it is to morph from one focus to another by strategic acquisitions and sales.  DuPont, for example, is as “dinosaur” as American corporations get, yet do you think of gunpowder when you think of DuPont?  Hardly.  It leveraged what it learned about particle technology and moved on to other fields.  The technological seeds of its powder coatings and paint businesses are in its old gunpowder technology, but the dinosaur recognized that markets and times were changing, and adapted accordingly.  Dinosaurs that don’t adapt become fossils.
        I can’t predict the future.  A disruptive technology may come along and provide a source of energy none of us has imagined.  It could be found by a small group of people.  Could be a university professor in Timbuktu .  But it is highly likely that major corporations will be the eventual owners and developers of the technology.  Is that bad?  I don’t think so.  The university professor doesn’t have the resources to deliver the technology to you and me so we can buy it.  Even if he didn’t sell it to Exxon or Halliburton or one of your other listed companies, he’d have to develop his own large organization to make it available.  Doing so would result in the same kind of structure you are against (remember when Microsoft was a small “cool” company?).  And, worse, it would delay the product availability and probably increase the price, versus if he’d work with an existing corporation to make it available.
        ---
        As for the comment on 401k funds, what is the “dinosaur” that you are concerned about employees being “forced” to invest in?  My 401k funds are invested in a mix of fixed income (bonds) and equity (both foreign and domestic) investments.  These funds make me a part owner in a broad swath of corporate America (and the rest of the world).  The index funds, for example, make me a part owner in the S&P 500 companies.  I don’t agree with the mission of every single one of these companies (I am not a fan of “sin” companies like tobacco or alcoholic beverage companies, for instance).  However, I’m proud to be associated with most of these corporations.  They provide useful products that give us the quality of life we enjoy.  If we didn’t want their products, they would have to change (see above) or become fossils.  So what is wrong with these “dinosaurs”?  Is it that you are opposed to the whole American enterprise?  To all publicly held corporations?  Just what is your concern?
        ---
        I realize this discussion is digressing from the topic of renewable energy, so I’ll not continue the discussion.  But I did want to defend my earlier point:  Renewable Energy will be brought to the masses by major corporations.  The sooner we recognize this and get on board, or at least “live with it”, the better we can educate ourselves about the technology and the science (true science, that is!) behind it.  Corporations are well-positioned to help us reach those goals, as well as to implement the technology in our homes.
        If I may make the analogy to the computer industry, many HREG posters are analogous to the computer hobbyists of the 1970’s.  You are the garage-shop computer builders of today.  There are companies that are making products that you can assemble into various configurations, and you also invent some components yourselves.  You aren’t stupid—you are the leading edge.  It is impressive to see what the Gardner ’s have done, for instance.  Then there are custom builders (many of our vendors are among them) who can work with you to design and build a system for you; they support the whole garage hobbyist culture and also extend the technology to early adopters who can afford to pay for their customized support and installation.  However, I don’t think it will be long before an IBM/Microsoft comes along and makes all you’ve done obsolete.  They’ll introduce an 8088 cpu based “PC” that will blow your expensive custom assembled systems out of the water on a cost-performance basis.  Some of you will whine and moan and grouse against the evil corporations that came in and disrupted your world (“all the systems are now alike”, etc.).  Some of you will see an opportunity, shift gears and start selling/supporting those systems instead of custom systems and make a bundle.  Most of us will simply smile at the rapid drop in cost/performance and start buying and installing the systems like crazy.  Thus are technological revolutions born.  In the end, we all play a role—hobbyists, technicians/ installers, corporations, consumers.  Why not recognize reality and acknowledge the positive contributions that each makes?
        Robert

        From: be alerted to new email wherever you're surfing.

        Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.