Re: [hreg] Green Power Sales

  • James Ferrill
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 24, 2001
      At 09:31 AM 1/24/2001, you wrote:
      > Here's an interesting company that sells Green Power to anyone in
      > the US
      >by "taking your order" and releasing the power onto the grid (they're based
      >in Georgia). They have a calculator to tell you your total bill, but it
      >comes out to 9.6 cents per kWh in Texas (if your bill is normally $100/mo,
      >it'd be $120/mo with 100% renewable). What do you guys think about the
      >idea of releasing the power anywhere and attributing it to your name, even
      >if you don't use that exact current? They claim that power flows freely
      >throughout the country, but isn't the lack of that flow what all of the
      >problems in California are exacerbated by?. More info at:
      >http://www.sterlingplanet.com/
      >
      >Ryan

      I know it won't work in Texas, we're isolated from the rest of the country.

      When California first did this, companies bought power from the other
      sources, repackaged it as "green", and charged more. They lobbied to get a
      rule in place that said that they could label it green if it had at least
      50% renewable content, and that hydro could be included in the "green" mix.
      They also made it where they were not required to disclose the energy
      makeup of the product they were selling. What people ended up with were
      companies that were selling power as "green" for much more, that had 50%
      hydro and 50% regular system power sources. So people got to pay much more
      for what they had already been paying for all along. Talk about a racket.

      California has done some good things with renewable energy with $3/watt
      system rebates, using more wind energy for at least 5 years, and by having
      the largest number of renewable power sources installed on homes in the
      country. But lately, every time they attempt to fix a problem that involves
      the utilities, they've screwed it up. And it's always something political
      that does it. Remember, they already have a large installed base of solar,
      wind, and hydro power sources and it hasn't saved them. Hope they do better.

      James