RE: [hreg] Rwanda Methane Plant

  • Robert Johnston
    Message 1 of 9 , May 6, 2007

      Methane is odorless.

      From: hreg@yahoogroups.com [mailto: hreg@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of evelyn sardina
      Sent: Thursday, May 03, 2007 6:22 PM
      To: hreg@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [hreg] Rwanda Methane Plant

      I think what they mean is that capturing the gas before it creates a problem is what they want to do.  The methane is already there.  Like in the landfills.  The idea is to put it to use so that it is a resource rather that  a hendrence. The problem with it is that it smells horrible so people are reluctant to work with it.

      Susan Modikoane <suemodikoane@ yahoo.com> wrote:

      The piece on the BBC said that this process renders it harmless.

      Nan Hildreth <nanhildreth@ riseup.net> wrote:

      Since methane (natural gas) is a powerful greenhouse gas, 21 times more than carbon dioxide, its release by the melting arctic tundra is bad news.

      At 04:35 PM 5/3/2007, evelyn sardina wrote:

      I was listening to this earlier today.  I think this is such a great idea but you hardly hear of it as a renewable. I also understand that this gas will be released in great volume when he ice melts creating even more green gas.  I wonder if anyone would know how to use this to our advantage.  I get the feeling it will be quite difficult.

      Susan Modikoane <suemodikoane@ yahoo.com>

      wrote:

      http://www.methanet omarkets. org/about/ index.htm

      The BBC had a piece this morning about a delapidated Methane Energy Plant in Rwanda that Eco is negotiating to purchase and operate.  I couldn't find the information on the Internet but I did find the above site.

      Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.

      Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.

      Nan Hildreth, Houston 713-842-6643

      "On playing fields and battlegrounds, challenges that would be daunting and impossible if faced alone are suddenly possible when tackled in a close-knit group.  The people haven't changed, but the way in which the task appears to them has."  Malcolm Gladwell, The Tipping Point