Re: [hreg] Rwanda Methane Plant

  • Nan Hildreth
    Message 1 of 9 , May 3, 2007
      It seems that 251 million years ago and again 55 million years ago, that methane was released by melting resulting in mass extinctions. That means half or more of life on earth died.  Is that our legacy for the children!  http://www.energybulletin.net/3647.html

      At 06:10 PM 5/3/2007, evelyn sardina wrote:

      This is why I say it would be great if we could use it.  At the rate the ice is melting it seems to be inevitable.  Capturing the methane from what we produce in the waste that we produce seems to be a logical answer. In other coutries where there are more advanced in renewable there seems to be very little mention of this as an alternative.  Wind is always at the top followed by all others at a different rate depending on the area. By the way it seems that our politicians are always going to be just that, so might as well do something ourselves. Anything!  I am taking permaculture classes with my daugther.  I was very surprised to hear her say at the end of the first class.  "I could have heard that lady speak a lot longer".  She is 13 years old.  Can you belive that?  This is what I am doing for her before it's time to go to
      college maybe she will choose a line of work accordinly.  Who knows.  Later, Evelyn

      Nan Hildreth <nanhildreth@...> wrote:
      Since methane (natural gas) is a powerful greenhouse gas, 21 times more than carbon dioxide, its release by the melting arctic tundra is bad news.

      At 04:35 PM 5/3/2007, evelyn sardina wrote:

      I was listening to this earlier today.  I think this is such a great idea but you hardly hear of it as a renewable. I also understand that this gas will be released in great volume when he ice melts creating even more green gas.  I wonder if anyone would know how to use this to our advantage.  I get the feeling it will be quite difficult.

      Susan Modikoane <suemodikoane@...>
      wrote:
      http://www.methanetomarkets.org/about/index.htm

      The BBC had a piece this morning about a delapidated Methane Energy Plant in Rwanda that Eco is negotiating to purchase and operate.  I couldn't find the information on the Internet but I did find the above site.
      Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.

      Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.
      Nan Hildreth, Houston 713-842-6643

      "On playing fields and battlegrounds, challenges that would be daunting and impossible if faced alone are suddenly possible when tackled in a close-knit group.  The people haven't changed, but the way in which the task appears to them has."  Malcolm Gladwell, The Tipping Point

      Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.

      Nan Hildreth, Houston 713-842-6643

      "On playing fields and battlegrounds, challenges that would be daunting and impossible if faced alone are suddenly possible when tackled in a close-knit group.  The people haven't changed, but the way in which the task appears to them has."  Malcolm Gladwell, The Tipping Point

    • Ed Sarlls
      Message 2 of 9 , May 3, 2007

        Ed
        I think what they mean is that capturing the gas before it creates a problem is what they want to do.  The methane is already there.  Like in the landfills.  The idea is to put it to use so that it is a resource rather that  a hendrence. The problem with it is that it smells horrible so people are reluctant to work with it.

        Susan Modikoane <suemodikoane@ yahoo.com> wrote:

        The piece on the BBC said that this process renders it harmless.

        wrote:
        http://www.methanet omarkets. org/about/ index.ht fields and battlegrounds, challenges that would be daunting and impossible if faced alone are suddenly possible when tackled in a close-knit group.  The people haven't changed, but the way in which the task appears to them has."  Malcolm Gladwell, The Tipping Point

        Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.

        Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.

      • Robert Johnston
        Message 3 of 9 , May 6, 2007