At the hreg investing meeting .............

  • evelyn sardina
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1 10:06 AM
      The questions of weather ethanol will eventually be a smart investment came up.  There is concern that it will not be smart because of the water consupmtion needed to grow the crops and the fact that it competes with our food supply.  The argument is that the people behind the money are buying the grain land to insure they can use it to produce fuel even when water is an issue.  Apparantly lack of water and food is not a concern to these investors.  I would like to add that recently I read a report that stated that there are finding poisons in the organic crops.  This happens because they are using hard chemicals to fumigate the crops for fuel since it is not for human consumption, but the problem is that they are next to organic farms and with pollinization the crops that are supposed to be organic are being poisoned also. I asked about Whole Foods as an investment and the argument is that when people's discretionary income is reduced they will just buy the cheapest food they can buy.  As the price of food continues to increase because of competition with fuel and and oil being the way we get to the supermarkets maybe the price will end up same as people are paying now for quality food.  It remains to be seen.  Buy the way the meetng was very interesting,  Thank you for having it. Evelyn

      Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.
    • William
      Message 2 of 2 , May 2 5:54 AM
        Perhaps I'm being idealistic but maybe the investments should be
        made into the infrastructure and not the fuel. We know that the
        highest return of plant material turned into ethanol is grass
        clippings (university research). To use what we already throw away
        would be more logical than using our raw materials at this
        point..Then after exhausting what we throw into landfills that may
        give us more time to identify more inexpensive sources. The people I
        have talked to (unleaded fuel users)think that ethanol stinks right
        now pertaining to performance and MPG's, except for diesel engines.
        The food growing loop is experiencing its own troubles right now.
        My personal belief is that ethanol will have its place along with
        other biofuels for the present. The undying truth that combustion
        engines only provide less than 15% of their energy to propel our
        vehilces while electric motors can provide close to 90% of that same
        propulsion. If we can build batteries that run on bacteria then we
        should be able to work on solutions that will take us far into the
        future. Perhaps the greed so prevalent today will be stabilized by
        education and research. Yeah, I know idealistic isn't it. Bill
        --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, evelyn sardina <evelynsardina@...>