Pickens: Oil-smart ($80 oil this year) but Water-nasty.

  • Ariel Thomann
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 30, 2007
      Thank you for the post. On this issue, it appears to reflect realism (Pickens)
      versus cornucopian utopianism (Forbes).

      This seems like a good time to remind everyone that Humans can live without
      petroleum, but not without water. The "Peak-Water" crisis is upon us already.
      For that reason, I'm expanding this string and disseminating its distribution.

      The same T. Boone Pickens (no business dummy, he) is one of the most negative
      forces regarding intelligent water use in Texas. We should be striving to
      conserve water, and Pickens instead plans to get richer by perpetuating
      profligacy. See http://www.newdream.org/newsletter/blueplanet.php for a recent
      update.

      I am often told "stop preaching generalities unless you tell me what can I do
      concretely at home". Check the following, start by buying a shower switch
      http://www.niagaraconservation.com/Showerhead%20Accessories.htm [800-831-8383
      ext. 184 for Texas area: Wayne Dagelman], or go from there:
      http://www.h2ouse.org/ and
      http://www.h2ouse.org/tour/details/element_action_contents.cfm?elementID=D4D1D449-3191-4C6A-91001A97C2FC4A2E&actionID=78FA9A8B-2756-4B2E-88D58A48310FAA76&roomID=8183044A-3219-48E2-A965ACB77A568AC4

      (By the way: I am NOT in this business, will pay full price for mine!)

      Ariel
      generations.
      ------------------------------------

      > FYI:
      >
      > From the All_Aboard passenger rail advocacy list..
      >
      > Howard Bingham
      >
      > --
      >>To: all_aboard@yahoogroups.com
      >>From: Ed D'Amato <ejdamato@...>
      >>Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2007 19:25:15 -0500
      >>Subject: [A_A] Pickens: $80 oil this year.
      >>

      >><http://money.cnn.com/2007/04/24/news/economy/bc.energy.boone.oil.reut/index.htm?postversion=2007042418>
      >>
      >>Pickens: $80 a barrel this year
      >>Legendary oilman, investor predicts high price will begin to kill demand.
      >> April 24 2007: 6:00 PM EDT
      >>
      >>BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. (Reuters) -- Legendary oilman T. Boone Pickens said
      >> Tuesday that global demand will outstrip supply in the fourth quarter of this
      year, leading U.S. oil prices to rise to $80 or more a barrel.

      >>Pickens would not predict how high beyond $80 oil would go this year or in
      >> 2008 but said he was interested to see how long $80 oil will need to be
      sustained to lessen demand.

      >>"This year we'll go back at the $78," Pickens told Reuters on the sidelines
      >> of The Milken Institute Global Conference at the Beverly Hills Hilton. "And
      you'll see $80. When you're at $78, you're right at $80. How high will it go
      beyond $80? I don't know.

      >>"I don't know where it has to go to kill demand. If it just pops up to $78
      >> and beyond for a short time, demand may or may not be affected."
      >>
      >>Pickens, 79, began his career in the oil industry in 1951 as a geologist and
      >> now heads BP Capital, a $4 billion hedge fund that made $1 billion last year.
      >>
      >>He picks $78 because oil hit a record high just over that level last July
      >> when tensions began between Hezbollah and Israel in Lebanon.
      >>
      >>"At some point prices will begin to kill demand," said Pickens. "The only way
      >> to kill demand is price."
      >>
      >>Reminded that $78 oil did not significantly lower demand last summer, Pickens
      >> said that was because it did not stay there long enough to test if that was a
      demand-killing price.

      >>Pickens also would not be pressed to say how long plus-$78 oil needs to be
      >> sustained before demand is lowered.
      >>
      >>"What's going to happen is the supply will get very critical in the fourth
      >> quarter this year," Pickens said. "Demand will be above supply and we'll see
      what happens."

      >>Pickens said he has predicted $100-a-barrel oil and he still thinks oil will
      >> reach that level, but he would not say when.
      >>
      >>"We'll all see $100 in the future," Pickens said. "Everybody says that.
      >> You're going to have to conserve at some point. At what price will that
      conservation really kick in? Again, I don't know."

      >>Crude oil for June delivery on Tuesday settled at $64.58 a barrel.
      >>
      >>Pickens at the Milken conference debated Forbes publisher and former U.S.
      >> presidential candidate Steve Forbes on energy policies and the future of oil.
      >>
      >>Pickens said the "true price" for oil is the price that is determined by the
      >> market.
      >>
      >>Companies that benefit from the higher cost of oil include BP (Charts), Exxon
      >> Mobil (Charts, Fortune 500), ConocoPhillips (Charts, Fortune 500) and Chevron
      (Charts, Fortune 500).

      >>Forbes blamed money supply growth for near-record high oil prices, citing
      >> policies by central banks, led by the U.S. Federal Reserve.
      >>
      >>The true price of oil is between $40-$45 per barrel, Forbes said.
      >>
      >>###
      > --
    • Garth & Kim Travis
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 30, 2007
        If you are using or planning on using a gas powered tankless water
        heater, do not use a water miser shower. The flow rate will be too low
        for the system and you will have cold showers. I have never used the
        electric ones so I haven't got a clue about them. This is another
        little piece of data that is not publicized about tankless systems.

        Most of the water in Texas is high in salt. If you garden, do your
        plants and our planet a favor, put in a water catchment system. Another
        really good option is to change you lawn to a low water lawn like
        buffalo grass, if you can't turn it into a garden. Buffalo grass also
        grows slowly so not as much cutting to do.

        Bright Blessings,
        Kim

        Ariel Thomann wrote:
        > > I am often told "stop preaching generalities unless you tell me what can I do
        > concretely at home". Check the following, start by buying a shower switch
        > http://www.niagaraconservation.com/Showerhead%20Accessories.htm [800-831-8383
        > ext. 184 for Texas area: Wayne Dagelman], or go from there:
        > http://www.h2ouse.org/ and
        > http://www.h2ouse.org/tour/details/element_action_contents.cfm?elementID=D4D1D449-3191-4C6A-91001A97C2FC4A2E&actionID=78FA9A8B-2756-4B2E-88D58A48310FAA76&roomID=8183044A-3219-48E2-A965ACB77A568AC4
        >
        > (By the way: I am NOT in this business, will pay full price for mine!)

      • evelyn sardina
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 30, 2007
          What is a water miser and is this the same as an oxigenics shower head?  I plan to do more water conservation and I bought and installed these in my bathroom and love them.I bought the handhelds they were not cheap!  It all adds up so I am going bit by bit.  I want to buy a water circulator so that I don't have to wait for the water to get hot thus wasting money. I currently have a gas water heater.
          Thank You,
          Evelyn

          Greetings,

          Ariel Thomann wrote:
          > > I am often told "stop preaching generalities unless you tell me what can I do
          > concretely at home". Check the following, start by buying a shower switch
          > http://www.niagarac onservation. com/Showerhead% 20Accessories. htm [800-831-8383
          > ext. 184 for Texas area: Wayne Dagelman], or go from there:
          > http://www.h2ouse. org/ and
          > http://www.h2ouse. org/tour/ details/element_ action_contents. cfm?elementID= D4D1D449- 3191-4C6A- 91001A97C2FC4A2E &actionID= 78FA9A8B- 2756-4B2E- 88D58A48310FAA76 &roomID=8183044A -3219-48E2- A965ACB77A568AC4
          >
          > (By the way: I am NOT in this business, will pay full price for mine!)

          Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.

        • Ariel Thomann
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 30, 2007
            Evelyn: I don't know what "oxigenics" is but it sounds gimmicky (to put it
            mildly). I was pushing y'all to shut off the shower except to get wet, then
            turn the water off while lathering up, then turn it back on to rinse.

            The "circulator" sounds like a gross overshoot for what you are trying to do.
            It probably has an always-on pump so it would consume even MORE energy - I think
            what you want is a tank-less, in-line water heater. It will give you hot water
            within seconds, and will not heat any water you are not actually using right
            then and there. Why store expensive-to-heat water, whether in a tank or in your
            home pipes, if you don't have to?

            The following is from one of the websites I sent.

            Table 1: Shower water use rates, national average*
            National Average*
            Shower Volume.............. 17.2 gallons
            Shower Duration............ 8.2 minutes
            Shower Flow Rate........... 2.2 gallons per minute
            Daily Per Capita Use....... 11.6 gallons
            Showers Per Capita Per Day. 0.67 showers per day

            If you use water for (say) one minute to get wet and one minute to rinse, that's
            one fourth of a "full length" 8-minute shower -- thus using 4.4 gallons rather
            than 17.2 per shower.

            Kim: Do you know the lowest gallons-per-minute rate required for those heaters
            to "fire-up"?

            Ariel
            generations.
            ------------------------------------

            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 30, 2007
              A water miser is a little piece of plastic added inside shower heads to
              restrict the water flow. By law, all new shower heads have to have them
              now. The trick, is to find one that it can be removed from. That is,
              if you already own a tankless water heater.
              Bright Blessings,
              Kim

              evelyn sardina wrote:
              > What is a water miser and is this the same as an oxigenics shower head?
              > I plan to do more water conservation and I bought and installed these in
              > my bathroom and love them.I bought the handhelds they were not cheap!
              > It all adds up so I am going bit by bit. I want to buy a water
              > circulator so that I don't have to wait for the water to get hot thus
              > wasting money. I currently have a gas water heater.
              > Thank You,
              > Evelyn

            • Garth & Kim Travis
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 30, 2007
                > Kim: Do you know the lowest gallons-per-minute rate required for those heaters
                > to "fire-up"?
                >
                > Ariel

                Greetings,
                Not off the top of my head. I do know that it is higher than the
                company says it is. What happens is your shower temp goes up and down
                as the water heater comes on and off if the supply is to low. We use
                our water in the gardens and in the pasture so it does double use.
                After a day of hard labor, I am not shutting my shower off, that is what
                takes the knots out of my shoulders so I can relax. I make all our
                soaps and shampoos so I don't have to worry about poisoning the garden.

                Bright Blessings,
                Kim
              • evelyn sardina
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 30, 2007
                  The oxigenics is a shower head that presurizes the water to make it feel like there is more water comming out of it.  It only lets 2 gallons of water per minute flow.  I had other low flow shower heads but I did not like them at all. They felt like you were not getting wet!  I do like these ones that I have now. They also have a knob that you twist, to stop the water so it dosen't flow while you soap up, and keeps the water at the right temperture. When I find the product info for the circulator I will send for you to look at.  Thank you, Evelyn

                  Ariel Thomann <ajthomann@...> wrote:
[...]

                  ............ ........

                  ------------ --------- --------- ------

                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 30, 2007
                    What are the soaps that you use made of?
                    Evelyn

                    Garth & Kim Travis <gartht@...> wrote:
                    > ............ ........
                    > Kim: Do you know the lowest gallons-per- minute rate required for those heaters
                    > to "fire-up"?
                    >
                    > Ariel

                    Greetings,
                    Not off the top of my head. I do know that it is higher than the
                    company says it is. What happens is your shower temp goes up and down
                    as the water heater comes on and off if the supply is to low. We use
                    our water in the gardens and in the pasture so it does double use.
                    After a day of hard labor, I am not shutting my shower off, that is what
                    takes the knots out of my shoulders so I can relax. I make all our
                    soaps and shampoos so I don't have to worry about poisoning the garden.

                    Bright Blessings,
                    Kim

                    Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.

                  • Kevin Conlin
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 30, 2007

                      Evelyn,  If you are going to use a water circulator, you should do two things:  Insulate every last inch of hot water piping throughout the house, and put a timer on it so it only runs during the time of day the showers or your heavy hot water loads are used or run.  Otherwise you will be wasting a lot more money than you are now.

                      With regard to low flow shower heads, I have been using one for 15 years, they take a little getting used to, but the one I have works just fine.  Please don’t ask the brand, it has been way too long, but it is basically an aerator which mixes air into the stream of water.  I did notice that with the aerator type you have to increase the hot water flow a little because the air introduced from aeration does cool the water slightly.

                      ________________________

                      Kevin Conlin

                      Solarcraft, Inc.

                      4007 C Greenbriar

                      Stafford, TX 77477-4536

                      Local (281) 340-1224

                      Toll Free (877) 340-1224

                      Fax 281 340 1230

                      kconlin@...

                      www.solarcraft.net

                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 30, 2007
                        evelyn sardina wrote:
                        > What are the soaps that you use made of?
                        > Evelyn

                        Greetings,
                        Depends on what I am using them for. Mostly the rendered fat of animals
                        we have eaten. I do use coconut oil and olive oil as well as animal
                        fats. I use KOH not NaOH, so I make liquid soaps. I use additives such
                        as washing soda and borax with the laundry, but no scents, perfumes,
                        essential oils or other additives.
                        Bright Blessings,
                        Kim
                      • evelyn sardina
                        Message 11 of 11 , May 1, 2007
                          I like the oxigenics that I purchased.  You are right, it does take getting used to, if you ever do.  I had bought a low flow with a filter before, I won't say the brand, but it was $200 dollars. I never did get used to it so I would end up using my regular hand held.  I payed $50 dollars a piece for the ones I have now and i am very happy with them.  Thank you for your advice on the water circulator. Buy the way there are oxigenics that are cheaper if you don't care to have the handheld.  I don't sell this product but the malls sell them and you can buy on internet also.  Evelyn

                          Kevin Conlin <kconlin@...> wrote:
                          Evelyn,  If you are going to use a water circulator, you should do two things:  Insulate every last inch of hot water piping throughout the house, and put a timer on it so it only runs during the time of day the showers or your heavy hot water loads are used or run.  Otherwise you will be wasting a lot more money than you are now.
                          With regard to low flow shower heads, I have been using one for 15 years, they take a little getting used to, but the one I have works just fine.  Please don¬ít ask the brand, it has been way too long, but it is basically an aerator which mixes air into the stream of water.  I did notice that with the aerator type you have to increase the hot water flow a little because the air introduced from aeration does cool the water slightly.
                          Kevin Conlin
                          Solarcraft, Inc.
                          4007 C Greenbriar
                          Stafford, TX 77477-4536