Renewable energy ACTION ALERT - ASAP

  • Nan Hildreth
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 27, 2007
      Today, Friday, hopefully before 2pm, please contact your Texas state representative in support of renewable energy amendments to SB 483 by Coleman, Strama and Christian and for SB 483 itself.   To lookup your state representative, www.capitol.state.tx.us

      From: "Donna Hoffman" <donna.hoffman@...>
      To: <texasgwecommitteeprivate@...>
      Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 17:43:44 -0500
      Subject: [TexasGWEcommitteePrivate] Add Renewable tmw Fri April 27
      The House passed Bonnen's Energy Plan Bill last night with two amendments
      supported by the Sierra Club and other environmental groups. Yay!  HB2713
      The good amendments added: 1. Involving 3 public participants for the
      Energy Plan Interim Committee; and 2. Requiring the Plan to Consider Energy
      Efficiency. This is good! Thanks to those who were able to respond on such
      short notice.
      Fraser's SB 483 did not come up on the floor last night.
      Fraser's SB 483, on power market regulation is scheduled to go to the House
      floor tomorrow, Friday, April 27. This bill could have the effect of
      blocking TXU's enormous polluter planned in Robertson County - the Oak Grove
      double boiler coal plant! Plus, there are renewable energy amendments being
      offered.
      ACTION REQUEST ACTION REQUEST ACTION REQUEST
      TONIGHT, Thursday April 26 or TOMORROW, Friday April 27 , Please send a FAX,
      PHONE, or EMAIL to your Texas State Representative and ask them to Stop the
      Coal Rush - PASS Fraser's SB 483 for Energy Efficiency with three amendments
      for Renewable Energy.
      See Sample Letter below.
      Find out who your Representative is, if you don't already know, and get
      his/her FAX or PHONE number at 'Who Represents Me' on Texas Legislature On
      line: http://www.fyi.legis.state.tx.us/
      Then, send your fax or email today. For those without fax machines handy,
      there is a voice script for phone calling below.
      SAMPLE LETTER FOLLOWS SAMPLE LETTER FOLLOWS SAMPLE LETTER FOLLOWS
      Highlight, Copy, Paste, and Edit the following text into your document to
      send.
      Dear Honorable Representative [YOUR REPRESENTATIVE'S LAST NAME]:
      Thanks in part to support from the Legislature, Texas has become the
      nation's wind energy leader. We've only scratched the surface of our
      renewable energy potential. In order to reduce pollution, continue to grow
      the renewable energy industry, and reduce our dependence on fossil fuels,
      Texas needs to take further steps for clean energy.
      Please support the following amendments to SB 483 to protect the voluntary
      renewable energy market and to support the development of non-wind renewable
      technologies like solar power.
      Vote Yes! in support of SB 483 by Fraser with three amendments --
      1. Christian Amendment. Adds goal for non-wind renewable energy.
      2. Strama Amendment. Remove Section M to add renewable energy.
      3. Coleman Amendment. Solar Energy rebate.
      I greatly appreciate your leadership and hope you will vote for these three
      amendments.
      Thank you.
      Sincerely,
      [YOUR NAME]
      PHONE SCRIPT FOLLOWS PHONE SCRIPT FOLLOWS PHONE SCRIPT FOLLOWS
      Hello. I'm [NAME] from [CITY/TOWN]. May I speak with the Legislative staff
      person handling energy bills, specifically Bonnen's Energy Plan bill?
      [If that Staff person isn't available give your message to whomever answers
      the phone.]
      OK. I am calling to ask Representative [YOUR REP'S LAST NAME] to please
      support the Christian, Strama, and Coleman amendments to SB 483 expected on
      this House floor. This bill will respond to the voluntary renewable energy
      market and will support the development of non-wind renewable technologies
      like solar power.
      Vote ask your Representative to vote for SB 483 by Fraser with three
      amendments --
      1. The Christian Amendment which Adds goal for non-wind renewable energy.
      2. The Strama Amendment to Remove Section M and add renewable energy.
      3. The Coleman Amendment for a Solar Energy rebate.
      Would you please give the Representative my message?
      Thank you very much. Good bye.

      Nan Hildreth, Houston 713-842-6643

      "On playing fields and battlegrounds, challenges that would be daunting and impossible if faced alone are suddenly possible when tackled in a close-knit group.  The people haven't changed, but the way in which the task appears to them has."  Malcolm Gladwell, The Tipping Point