Re: [hreg] Our solar install story and a proposed solar bill...

  • Henry H Haynes
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 2, 2007
      Amen to both points.

      HHH

      Paul Archer <tigger@...> wrote:
      I know it's a low priority (compared to other RE incentives), but I'd love
      to see a law passed that stripped HOA's rights to limit or interfere with RE
      installations. (But then, I'm not big on deed restrictions in general.)

      Paul

      8:03am, Jessica Drummond wrote:

      > Just FYI I came across this today on solarbuzz.
      > http://www.solarbuz z.com/news/ NewsNAGO325. htm.
      >
      > And, last week I was asked to give my blow-by-blow solar install story.
      > Well, here it is. It's actually not complicated at all. In fact, we've
      > done it all while doing some contract work up in Michigan. The house we
      > added the PV system to is in Austin. So, there were some obvious
      > financial incentives. But, the whole process was very easy for us. We
      > worked with Meridian Energy Systems (http://www.meridian solar.com/) who
      > I would recommend very, very highly to anyone interested in installing a
      > system. Their professional project managers, Ryan and Thomas, did all
      > of the work to convince the HOA of the system's ability to fit in with
      > the strict codes re: "look of the house from the street." And, the PV
      > system was installed within a week. We had only 1 minor hold-up... it
      > took a couple of months to get the panels (due to the worldwide silicon
      > shortage that I'm sure all on this list are informed of.) Now, we are
      > just waiting for Austin Energy to inspect and turn on the system. And,
      > we are still talking with the HOA about planting 1 or 2 trees to hide
      > the view of the solar panels from the street (though in my opinion they
      > are just beautiful!) It was very easy; Meridian did all of the work.
      > Now, I just have to sit down and calculate the payback time because all
      > of our neighbors are so interested that I'd love it if all on the block
      > had one! :-)
      >
      > Jessica
      > http://www.thegreen adventure. blogspot. com
      > <http://www.thegreen adventure. blogspot. com/>
      > Join the adventure!

      echo '[q]sa[ln0=aln256% Pln256/snlbx] sb31350717901017 68542287578439sn lbxq'|dc
      (It's safe)

    • Jim & Janet
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 2, 2007
        ... I'd love to see a law passed that stripped HOA's rights to limit or interfere with RE
        installations

        Paul,
        that is one of a number of pieces of legislation listed below. Check out the capitol.state.tx www sites below to track and follow these bills and numerous others that deserve widespread support
        Jim Duncan

        HB3693
         Relating to energy demand, energy load, energy efficiency incentives, energy programs, and energy performance measures.

        SB358
         Relating to the regulation of solar energy panels by a property owners' association.
        HB1651
        Relating to the regulation of solar energy panels by a property owners' association.

        HB3243
        Relating to requiring the installation of solar power generation panels in the construction of public schools.
        The trustees of an independent school district shall ensure that any new public school built in the district is designed for and constructed with solar electric generation panels on the rooftops of the school.
                (b-1)  A state agency or institution of higher education that occupies a building or facility located in an air quality nonattainment area or affected county, as those terms are defined in Section 386.001, Health and Safety Code, shall include in the plan described in Subsection (a)(1) a goal to reduce energy consumption in its buildings and facilities located in those areas by five percent per year for five years beginning January 1, 2008.

        SB1357
        Relating to the creation of a TexSun Solar Energy System Rebate Program.
        HB2226
        Relating to the creation of a TexSun Solar Energy System Rebate Program.

        HB1415
        Relating to crediting public schools for the value of electricity generated by solar panels on public school building rooftops.
         An electric utility, retail electric provider, municipally owned utility, or electric cooperative shall provide for net metering and contract with an independent school district so that:

        HB2905
        Relating to an exemption from electrician licensing requirements for certain work involving a solar photovoltaic system.
        ...electrical work required for the installation, maintenance, alteration, or repair of a solar photovoltaic system, other than electrical work required to connect the system to the alternating current utility grid

        SB504
        Relating to the exemption from ad valorem taxation for certain solar or wind-powered energy devices.

        HB3895
        HB1958
        Relating to the interconnection of a customer's renewable energy system to a utility's electric transmission and distribution system.
        An electric utility shall supply and install, at no cost to the customer-generator, a net energy meter that is capable of registering the flow of electricity in two directions.

        HB3897
        Relating to establishing a goal of reducing carbon dioxide emissions from electric generation in this state to 1990 levels not later than 2020.

        HB3643
        Relating to a franchise tax credit for the production of carbon-free hydrogen.

        SB1608
        Relating to certain tax exemptions to promote sales and use of hydrogen-powered motor vehicles in this state.

        *HB3693
        Relating to energy demand, energy load, energy efficiency incentives, energy programs, and energy performance measures.

      • Mike Correale
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 2, 2007
          Working with the HOA has always been a challenge -> passing this legislation is great, BUT then the next challenge is getting the City's P&Z to permit the RE system.  There needs to be a state standard for all cities.

          Mike

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 2, 2007
            Here is a good bill to support that does just his thing on a national scale.

            powered by RenewableEnergyAcce ss.com
            Solar Energy Industries Association
            A RenewableEnergyAcce ss.com Marketing Partner
            March 28, 2007
            Menendez, Cardoza-Ferguson "SOLAR Act" would ensure fair treatment of solar energy system owners
            Press Release from Solar Energy Industries Association
            (WASHINGTON, DC) -
            As more US consumers turn to solar power during the current energy crisis, US Senator Robert Menendez (D-NJ) and Reps. Dennis Cardoza (D-CA) and Michael Ferguson (R-NJ) today introduced legislation that would affirm the right of American consumers to install solar systems on their roofs and receive fair treatment as energy producers.

            "We must remove obstacles standing in the way of Americans who wish to become good stewards of the environment by utilizing solar power." - Rep. Dennis Cardoza (D-CA)

            The "Solar Opportunity and Local Access Rights Act" (SOLAR) would establish national standards for the interconnection and net metering of solar energy systems, based on the most progressive state standards to date. The legislation would require utilities to credit their customers at retail electric rates for supplying excess solar power to the grid. The bill would also establish that ownership of renewable energy credits (RECs) resides with the solar system owner for purposes of selling or trading to meet a state or federal renewable portfolio standard.

            The SOLAR Act would protect solar consumers from restrictive covenants that block the siting of solar systems on a roof - similar to the current legislative treatment of satellite dishes. The bill would also help shield prospective system buyers from exorbitant permitting and licensing fees.

            "Tackling our nation's energy challenges in a clean and efficient way should be our top priority," said Senator Menendez. "Rather than putting up roadblocks to those who want to use alternative energy sources, we should be incentivizing such consumer initiative. This Act would ease restrictions on those who want to harvest alternative energy, enhance the security of our energy grid, and relieve the load on often overwhelmed power sources."

            "I installed solar panels on my own home because I believe alternative energy sources such as solar are critical for the future of our environment, economy and national security," said Rep. Cardoza. "We must remove obstacles standing in the way of Americans who wish to become good stewards of the environment by utilizing solar power. This bill will benefit consumers and spur needed investment in the solar energy industry, which promises to play a big role in America's drive to energy independence. "

            "New Jersey is the nation's leader in solar power with deployment of more than 2,000 solar-powered homes and businesses," said Rep. Ferguson. "This important legislation takes all the good things we're doing in New Jersey to increase the use of solar energy and makes them available to the rest of the nation. New Jersey leads the way in making solar energy simple and easy to use. Solar power benefits our environment and Congress must do more to make solar power more accessible and affordable to consumers."

            The Solar Energy Industries Association praised Senator Menendez and Representatives Cardoza and Ferguson for their leadership in introducing the bill.

            "Every American should have the right to own a solar energy system," said Rhone Resch, SEIA President. "Consumers who take a personal step to increase our energy independence and reduce pollution should have the strength of the law behind them. This bill would truly empower more Americans to make the switch to clean, renewable solar energy."

            ****

            The SOLAR Act contains the following provisions:

            Net Metering: Requires utilities, within 1 year of the date of enactment, to provide net metering for customer-owned solar power systems up to 2 MW in size at retail electric rates. Ownership of renewable energy credits (RECs) resides with the solar system owner for purposes of selling or trading to meet a state or federal renewable portfolio standard (RPS)

            Interconnection: Requires the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, within 1 year of the date of enactment, to publish model standards for physical connection between the electric grid and customer-owned solar systems up to 20 MW in size. The model standards shall have separate expedited procedures for systems under 15 kW and for systems between 15 kW and 2 MW.

            Solar Siting Rights: Instructs the Secretary of Housing and Urban Development to issue regulations within 180 days of the law's enactment that 1) prohibit any private covenant, contract provision, lease provision, homeowners' association rule or bylaw, or similar restriction that impairs homeowners' ability to install and use a solar energy system and 2) expedite the approval, where such approval is required, of applications to install systems.

            Cap on Permitting and Licensing Fees: Requires that permitting and licensing fee costs are $500 or less for residential installations, and $10,000 or less for commercial installations.

            Renewable Energy Contracts for Federal Agencies: Allows federal agencies to enter into power purchase agreements with renewable energy providers for up to 30 years.

            John Miggins
            Harvest Solar Energy LLC
            "renewable solutions to everyday needs"
            1571 East 22 place, Tulsa OK 74114