Bush - Man of Oil

  • Steven Deterling
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 28 8:42 PM
      Interesting article today posted on the Smirking Chimp:

      http://www.smirkingchimp.com/thread/6403

      The excerpt is:

      "'I once made the mistake of suggesting to Bush that he use the phrase cheap energy to describe the aims of his energy policy. He gave me a sharp, squinting look, as if he were trying to decide whether I was the stupidest person he’d heard from all day or only one of the top five. Cheap energy, he answered, was how we had got into this mess. Every year from the early 1970s to the mid 1990s, American cars burned less and less oil per mile travelled. Then in about 1995 that progress stopped. Why? He answered his own question: because of the gas-guzzling SUV. And what had made the SUV possible? This time I answered. ‘Um, cheap energy?’ He nodded at me. Dismissed.'

      "More or less the only conclusion one can draw from that under-reported passage is that W. is well aware of the realities but has been knowingly acting as a stooge for the oil industry."

      Lancaster's conclusion is apt. Bush, ... is well aware of the damage wrought by the SUV culture, and well aware of the benefits of cleaner-burning, fuel-efficient automobiles. Yet, as we know, he has continually expanded the tax breaks that encourage the purchase of SUVs. His energy policies are almost exclusively pointed toward expanding the use of automobiles, while discouraging any restrictions on automakers or energy companies that might curtail the nation's never-ending oil binge. He knows that these policies cause more pollution and exacerbate "this mess" we have made of the environment. But, as Lancaster notes, because the profits of the oil industry are a higher priority for him, he moves forward with these policies anyway. "

      The link has all the detail of this exchange.

      Steve

      Stop the Forest Service from killing more wolves, bears, cougars, and other animals in the wild:
      http://go.care2.com/99055

      http://www.Care2.com Free e-mail. 100MB storage. Helps nonprofits.
    • Steven Deterling

              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 29 9:09 AM

                I have to protest this message.  I don’t believe it has anything to do with the HREG’s mission and it doesn’t provide any useful information (like some “off-topic” postings do).  I would have ignored the message had it been sent just once – or maybe even twice – but sending it five times...  I look to HREG for renewable energy information not internet political banter.

                Tom Ritter

                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 29 9:21 AM
                  11:09am, Tom Ritter wrote:

                  > I have to protest this message. I don't believe it has anything to do with
                  > the HREG's mission and it doesn't provide any useful information (like some
                  > "off-topic" postings do). I would have ignored the message had it been sent
                  > just once - or maybe even twice - but sending it five times... I look to
                  > HREG for renewable energy information not internet political banter.

                  Tom, I have to agree with you that this is a bit too off-topic and blatantly
                  political for this group (although it was interesting).
                  But I don't think the sender sent it more than once. I'm a member of several
                  Yahoo-hosted mailing lists, and I saw multiple copies of messages on each
                  list this morning. I think that was just a technical problem on Yahoo's
                  part.

                  Paul
                • Sam Lindsey
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 29 12:14 PM
                    I agree.
                    100%

                    Tom Ritter <tom@...> wrote:
[...]

                    Sam Lindsey
                    "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well- preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "......holy shit ...... what a ride!"

                    Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.

                  • Susan Modikoane
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 29 6:39 PM
                      How was that statement political?  Because he said that Bush knew about the oil shortage while pretending not to?  I find that article totally on topic.  You pay the salary of the people making the decisions on how to spend your tax money.  Will it be business as usual or renewable energy?  That posting provided valuable information for anyone who wants to send a letter to the white house regarding renewable energy.

                      Frankly, I get tired of people censuring the postings of other people.  If the posting had been about the video of Bush, Sr. on his date with the actress from Desperate Housewives featured on www.youtube.com, then it would be off topic.  But his post was totally on topic.

                      Just my opinion.

                      Tom Ritter <tom@...> wrote:
[...]

                      in 45,000 destinations on Yahoo! Travel
                      to find your fit.

                    • Susan Modikoane
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 29 7:46 PM
                        Actually, it was right on target.

                        If it had been more directly about the war profiteers in our government, it may have been considered off topic.  However, even this deck of cards http://www.ruckus.org/warprofiteers/ you can buy, is relevant to the reason that our government is spending more on the war than on renewable energy.  The officials are all on the boards of the oil and arms corporations that are making a killing.  Perhaps if some of the manufacturers of solar panels would appoint a defense minister to their board, we might start seeing some real progress in the area of renewable energy.

                        Steven Deterling <rocketman1@...> wrote:
                        All

                        I did only send the email once. I was abhorred to find five copies of it myself. I did not do that intentionally.

                        Also, I actually agree that it is off topic. I thought of that myself about an hour after I had sent it. My apologies for that. It was late and I was in a hurry.

                        Steve

                        Stop the Forest Service from killing more wolves, bears, cougars, and other animals in the wild:
                        http://go.care2. com/99055

                        http://www.Care2. com Free e-mail. 100MB storage. Helps nonprofits.

                        Get your own web address.

                      • Steven Deterling

[...]

                            Need Mail bonding?

                          • jmiggins
                            Message 13 of 13 , Apr 2, 2007
                              we can give you an estimate, give me a call on my cell, we are in Houston today.

                              thanks

                              John Miggins
                              Harvest Solar Energy LLC
                              "renewable solutions to everyday needs"

[...]