Re: [hreg] solar tractor

  • Ariel Thomann
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 11, 2007
      I haven't explored the website, which I would guess belongs to the publisher of
      the book rather than to Mr. Howe himself.

      The book discusses the tractor, with the following now retyped from pg. 159:

      "Weight: Vehicle, 1400 pounds without batteries or panels, 2500 pounds with
      eighteen 12-volt DC lead-acid batteries and fouir panels. Trailer, 500 pounds
      without batteries, 1000 pounds with batteries and panels. For agricultural
      purposes, weight is beneficial in the tractor.

      "Note: the test vehicle is a 50-year old Farmall Cub, which still has an
      operable internal combustion engine and a great deal of superfluous cast iron.
      It weighs 1800 pounds plus only one 550-pound 550-pound, deep cycle marine
      battery pack. An ideal new design would have an additional 550-pound lead-acid
      battery storage but have nearly the same loaded weight; e.g., 2300 pound gross
      weight including 1100 pounds of lead-acid, deep cycle batteries.

      "The array on the vehicle has four 150-watt Sharp panels with a total area of
      130 by 60 inches or about five square meters. The peak charging current is five
      amperes at 120 volts for each array or ten amperes with the trailer. A total of
      1.2 kilowatts of peak power is equivalent to almost one and one-half horsepower
      coming in when the sun shines.

      Under the picture on the back cover, it's described as a "10 hp solar-powered
      Farmall Cub".

      Ariel
      generations.
      ------------------------------------

      > Greetings,
      > Thanks for the web site. It is a nice small tractor but until it grows to
      > twice the size, very little of our future will look like that. Hay equipment
      > requires a minimum of 80hp on the PTO, and likes 100horses to work
      > efficiently.
      >
      > But, for someone like me, whose tractor is 48 horses, I could very nicely
      > downsize to this and make it work. Now, where would I find that kind of
      > money.hmmmmmm
      >
      > Bright Blessings,
      > Kim
      >
      > William & Cynthia Stange wrote:
      >> http://www.renewables.com/Permaculture/ETractorSpecs.htm
      >>
      >> This mans entire web site is quite cool- hopefully this is what our future
      >> will look like!I wonder if anyone in the group can comment on BIPV -
      >> buliding integrated photo voltaics? Seems to be the next stage in solar for
      >> all of us. Bill
      >>
      >> */Garth & Kim Travis <gartht@...>/* wrote:
      >>
      >> Greetings,
      >> Where exactly on this website is the information on the tractor? Bright
      >> Blessings,
      >> Kim
      >>
      >> Ariel Thomann wrote:
      >> > Interesting. Seems very VERY similar to the tractor developed by
      >> John G. Howe
      >> > (Howe Engineering Co., 298 McIntire Road, Waterford, ME 04088),
      >> author of "The
      >> > End of Fossil Energy", 2003, McIntire Publishing -
      >> www.mcintirepublishing.com
      >> >
      >> > Ariel

    • William & Cynthia Stange
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 11, 2007
        To all HREG in Houston and Austin areas, look to your radar pictures for local areas. It looks as though we will get some weather tonight bordering on severe. With all the recent tornadoes in the South, please be watchful.
        Bill                  Sorry this is not RE related, but our climate is important