RE: [hreg] Chronicle lead editorial - Texas may phase out incandescent bulbs?

  • Nan Hildreth
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 5, 2007
      CF bulbs don't like being rapidly switched on and off.  If given a half hour to warm up, they last longer.  So in my bathroom I use a motion sensor incandescent nightlight that I got from Home Depot for $7 and only turn on the CF lights in the bath when I need a really bright light.

      At 11:27 AM 3/5/2007, Kevin Conlin wrote:

      Hi Robert,  I use them also and am questioning the longevity as well.  Now whenever I replace one I write the date on the base with a Sharpie, so I’m hoping to quantify this issue, like you, I have some that are failing too soon.  In other fixtures they have already lasted for years, so it’s been a mixed bag so far.

      Regards,  Kevin

      ________________________

      Kevin Conlin

      Solarcraft, Inc.

      4007 C Greenbriar

      Stafford, TX 77477-4536

      Local (281) 340-1224

      Toll Free (877) 340-1224

      Fax 281 340 1230

      kconlin@...

      www.solarcraft.net

      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 5, 2007
        Several of you have stated that power-cycling CFL's shortens their
        life. My experience seems to support a corollary to that theory:
        CFLs that operate 24x7 seem to last a LONG time. Of the two CFL's I
        have operating 24x7, one has logged about 10000 hrs, the other over
        26000! The latter has rarely if ever been power cycled since being
        deployed.

        With regard to taxing incandescents... I guess that can be a
        solution, though I think that current marketing efforts are
        succeeding. I see CFLs or other efficient lighting systems installed
        everywhere I look. I would rather see more effort put towards
        recycling the expired lamps.

        On another note, has anyone seen any research done on the energy
        *embodied* in a CFLs vs. incandescent? One always sees quoted the
        fact that these lamps "use 1/4 the energy", "last 10x longer", etc.
        But what about the energy that goes into making the CFL, which is
        much more complex and uses materials that might be more rare than
        those of an incandescent lamp.

        Just my thoughts...

        -Chris
      • Ariel Thomann
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 5, 2007
          Good idea re. dating first use. I recently had to replace my first one -- used
          on a floor lamp w/ timer, runs whether I'm here or away traveling. Turns on for
          about 2 hours every morning, about 4 every evening. I lasted over 4 years.
          Another with similar setup in another lamp is still running strong.

          Ariel
          generations.
          ------------------------------------

          > Hi Robert, I use them also and am questioning the longevity as well. Now
          > whenever I replace one I write the date on the base with a Sharpie, so I'm
          > hoping to quantify this issue, like you, I have some that are failing too
          > soon. In other fixtures they have already lasted for years, so it's been a
          > mixed bag so far.
          >
          > Regards, Kevin
        • Robert Johnston
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 12, 2007

            That would work for lamps, I suppose, but I don’t use lamps for any significant length of time, so it would take forever to run the test.  To condition power to overhead lighting, I’d need a whole house conditioner, I suppose.

            But more to the point, I suspect that CFLs may be more susceptible to dirty power than incandescents are, and probably vary brand by brand.  Any idea of how to measure that, and if stats exist comparing different brands?  I didn’t find anything of use on the energystar website.

            (btw, you may recall that the 1st Autocell CFL I got only lasted 1 or 2 weeks.  This one lasted 2 years.  I really liked the performance of the 2nd one in terms of light quality and speed of startup, but 2 years is a lot different than the advertised 12,000 hours.  With my usage, I estimate I had about 4000 hours on that bulb).

            Robert

            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 12, 2007

              That’s exactly what I do—I write the date on the base with a Sharpie.  And it is revealing disturbing trends.  The economics arguments are probably still in favor of the CFL, but not nearly as favorable.

              Hi Robert,  I use them also and am questioning the longevity as well.  Now whenever I replace one I write the date on the base with a Sharpie, so I’m hoping to quantify this issue, like you, I have some that are failing too soon.  In other fixtures they have already lasted for years, so it’s been a mixed bag so far.

              Regards,  Kevin

              ____________ _________ ___

              Kevin Conlin

              Solarcraft, Inc.

              4007 C Greenbriar

              Stafford, TX 77477-4536

              Local (281) 340-1224

              Toll Free (877) 340-1224

              Fax 281 340 1230

              kconlin@solarcraft. net

              David Power wrote:

              > How about a sin tax of $1.00 per incandescent bulb? More revenue for the
              > state and gets the costs more inline with cfls.
              >
              > Either that or attach the 120lb bag of coal to the bulb that you have
              > to burn to light it.
              >

              > David

            • Robert Johnston
              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 12, 2007

                A couple comments...

                1)       on the “energy embodied” comment, I note that when CFL’s first came out, a lot of them were those quad shaped things that plugged into the ballast, so that you only replaced the bulb part and not the ballast when they burned out.  Those don’t seem to have become very popular with consumers, and I don’t see them in the stores now.  I suspect that is because of varying brands/incompatibilities making it confusing/hassle for consumers, and/or the form factor vs. spiral.  Maybe someone has insight into this.  But I think that if the ballasts were made more robust, and the plug-in design were used, maybe it would address my concerns about premature burnout (if that is the ballast—I don’t even know that, though), and it would also perhaps reduce total “energy embodied”.

                2)       Leaving CFL’s “on” might be a good idea for longevity, but if one needs a bulb in an intermittent use area, then clearly leaving it on 24x7 will negate the energy savings.  If some CFLs are sensitive to on/off switching as you and some others have commented, then we need a way to determine which brands are tolerant of that behavior.

                Robert

                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 14, 2007

                  I have had very good luck with several brands after noticing some of the lamps were only lasting a few months. It seems that the ballasts are heat sensitive on some brands so they don’t like being inverted or enclosed (recessed lighting) some don’t last long at all if vibrated (ceiling fan or next to a door that is opened and closed a lot. I have on that is installed in my laundry room that is hard to replace, I installed it in the summer of 1990 and it still works fine, gets short cycled (flipped on and off) almost every day (to bad I don’t remember the brand, I have to remove the washing machine from the room to change it).

                  It also seems to vary by lot. I have been using FEIT CFL’s for 3 or 4 years and have only had a couple fail, then I bought a case of the A style bulbs and 4 out of the 12 failed in 4 months, all were installed in enclosed inverted fixtures, replaced them with their mini twist and they have been fine for over 1 ½ years.  All are 2650k spectrum and energy star certified. They did replace the bulbs under warranty. Maybe we can start keeping a list of the brands that fail early and how they are installed.

                  David

                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 14, 2007

                    That’s interesting, until I read your e-mail I had forgotten about a PL lamp that I installed twenty years ago, back when the transformer and electronics were external.  It has worked far better and longer than any of the new models, and does get short cycled.  Apparently the quality has suffered in mass production.