RE: [hreg] Chronicle lead editorial - Texas may phase out incandescent bulbs?

  • Michael Ewert
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 4, 2007

      I’ve had trouble with short life on some too, but so far the ones I got from John Miggins and from Lighting Unlimited are going strong.  Does anyone know what Consumer Reports says about CFLs?

      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 4, 2007
        I have several areas of the house where I use CFLs.  When they burn out (which is frequent) I just call the manufacturer and then send me a new one.  So far most of the failures have been from overheating of some material inside the ballast that ends up oozing out.  I have not had any fires (thank goodness), but it looks like the potential is there.

        Rob Rowland

        David Power wrote:

        > How about a sin tax of $1.00 per incandescent bulb? More revenue for the
        > state and gets the costs more inline with cfls.
        >
        > Either that or attach the 120lb bag of coal to the bulb that you have
        > to burn to light it.
        >

        > David

      • Kevin Conlin
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 5, 2007

          Hi Robert,  I use them also and am questioning the longevity as well.  Now whenever I replace one I write the date on the base with a Sharpie, so I’m hoping to quantify this issue, like you, I have some that are failing too soon.  In other fixtures they have already lasted for years, so it’s been a mixed bag so far.

          Regards,  Kevin

          ________________________

          Kevin Conlin

          Solarcraft, Inc.

          4007 C Greenbriar

          Stafford, TX 77477-4536

          Local (281) 340-1224

          Toll Free (877) 340-1224

          Fax 281 340 1230

          kconlin@...

          www.solarcraft.net

          David Power wrote:

          > How about a sin tax of $1.00 per incandescent bulb? More revenue for the
          > state and gets the costs more inline with cfls.
          >
          > Either that or attach the 120lb bag of coal to the bulb that you have
          > to burn to light it.
          >

          > David

        • Nan Hildreth

            David Power wrote:

            > How about a sin tax of $1.00 per incandescent bulb? More revenue for the
            > state and gets the costs more inline with cfls.
            >
            > Either that or attach the 120lb bag of coal to the bulb that you have
            > to burn to light it.
            >

            > David

            Nan Hildreth, Houston 713-842-6643

            "On playing fields and battlegrounds, challenges that would be daunting and impossible if faced alone are suddenly possible when tackled in a close-knit group.  The people haven't changed, but the way in which the task appears to them has."  Malcolm Gladwell, The Tipping Point

          • cgalvan21
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 5, 2007
              Several of you have stated that power-cycling CFL's shortens their
              life. My experience seems to support a corollary to that theory:
              CFLs that operate 24x7 seem to last a LONG time. Of the two CFL's I
              have operating 24x7, one has logged about 10000 hrs, the other over
              26000! The latter has rarely if ever been power cycled since being
              deployed.

              With regard to taxing incandescents... I guess that can be a
              solution, though I think that current marketing efforts are
              succeeding. I see CFLs or other efficient lighting systems installed
              everywhere I look. I would rather see more effort put towards
              recycling the expired lamps.

              On another note, has anyone seen any research done on the energy
              *embodied* in a CFLs vs. incandescent? One always sees quoted the
              fact that these lamps "use 1/4 the energy", "last 10x longer", etc.
              But what about the energy that goes into making the CFL, which is
              much more complex and uses materials that might be more rare than
              those of an incandescent lamp.

              Just my thoughts...

              -Chris
            • Ariel Thomann
              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 5, 2007
                Good idea re. dating first use. I recently had to replace my first one -- used
                on a floor lamp w/ timer, runs whether I'm here or away traveling. Turns on for
                about 2 hours every morning, about 4 every evening. I lasted over 4 years.
                Another with similar setup in another lamp is still running strong.

                Ariel
                generations.
                ------------------------------------

                > Hi Robert, I use them also and am questioning the longevity as well. Now
                > whenever I replace one I write the date on the base with a Sharpie, so I'm
                > hoping to quantify this issue, like you, I have some that are failing too
                > soon. In other fixtures they have already lasted for years, so it's been a
                > mixed bag so far.
                >
                > Regards, Kevin
              • Robert Johnston
                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 12, 2007

                  That would work for lamps, I suppose, but I don’t use lamps for any significant length of time, so it would take forever to run the test.  To condition power to overhead lighting, I’d need a whole house conditioner, I suppose.

                  But more to the point, I suspect that CFLs may be more susceptible to dirty power than incandescents are, and probably vary brand by brand.  Any idea of how to measure that, and if stats exist comparing different brands?  I didn’t find anything of use on the energystar website.

                  (btw, you may recall that the 1st Autocell CFL I got only lasted 1 or 2 weeks.  This one lasted 2 years.  I really liked the performance of the 2nd one in terms of light quality and speed of startup, but 2 years is a lot different than the advertised 12,000 hours.  With my usage, I estimate I had about 4000 hours on that bulb).

                  Robert

                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 12, 2007

                    That’s exactly what I do—I write the date on the base with a Sharpie.  And it is revealing disturbing trends.  The economics arguments are probably still in favor of the CFL, but not nearly as favorable.

                    Hi Robert,  I use them also and am questioning the longevity as well.  Now whenever I replace one I write the date on the base with a Sharpie, so I’m hoping to quantify this issue, like you, I have some that are failing too soon.  In other fixtures they have already lasted for years, so it’s been a mixed bag so far.

                    Regards,  Kevin

                    ____________ _________ ___

                    Kevin Conlin

                    Solarcraft, Inc.

                    4007 C Greenbriar

                    Stafford, TX 77477-4536

                    Local (281) 340-1224

                    Toll Free (877) 340-1224

                    Fax 281 340 1230

                    kconlin@solarcraft. net

                    www.solarcraft. net

                    David Power wrote:

                    > How about a sin tax of $1.00 per incandescent bulb? More revenue for the
                    > state and gets the costs more inline with cfls.
                    >
                    > Either that or attach the 120lb bag of coal to the bulb that you have
                    > to burn to light it.
                    >

                    > David

                  • Robert Johnston
                    Message 9 of 21 , Mar 12, 2007

                      A couple comments...

                      1)       on the “energy embodied” comment, I note that when CFL’s first came out, a lot of them were those quad shaped things that plugged into the ballast, so that you only replaced the bulb part and not the ballast when they burned out.  Those don’t seem to have become very popular with consumers, and I don’t see them in the stores now.  I suspect that is because of varying brands/incompatibilities making it confusing/hassle for consumers, and/or the form factor vs. spiral.  Maybe someone has insight into this.  But I think that if the ballasts were made more robust, and the plug-in design were used, maybe it would address my concerns about premature burnout (if that is the ballast—I don’t even know that, though), and it would also perhaps reduce total “energy embodied”.

                      2)       Leaving CFL’s “on” might be a good idea for longevity, but if one needs a bulb in an intermittent use area, then clearly leaving it on 24x7 will negate the energy savings.  If some CFLs are sensitive to on/off switching as you and some others have commented, then we need a way to determine which brands are tolerant of that behavior.

                      Robert

                      Message 10 of 21 , Mar 14, 2007

                        I have had very good luck with several brands after noticing some of the lamps were only lasting a few months. It seems that the ballasts are heat sensitive on some brands so they don’t like being inverted or enclosed (recessed lighting) some don’t last long at all if vibrated (ceiling fan or next to a door that is opened and closed a lot. I have on that is installed in my laundry room that is hard to replace, I installed it in the summer of 1990 and it still works fine, gets short cycled (flipped on and off) almost every day (to bad I don’t remember the brand, I have to remove the washing machine from the room to change it).

                        It also seems to vary by lot. I have been using FEIT CFL’s for 3 or 4 years and have only had a couple fail, then I bought a case of the A style bulbs and 4 out of the 12 failed in 4 months, all were installed in enclosed inverted fixtures, replaced them with their mini twist and they have been fine for over 1 ½ years.  All are 2650k spectrum and energy star certified. They did replace the bulbs under warranty. Maybe we can start keeping a list of the brands that fail early and how they are installed.

                        David

                        Message 11 of 21 , Mar 14, 2007

                          That’s interesting, until I read your e-mail I had forgotten about a PL lamp that I installed twenty years ago, back when the transformer and electronics were external.  It has worked far better and longer than any of the new models, and does get short cycled.  Apparently the quality has suffered in mass production.