Re: [hreg] prius vs ?

  • Garth & Kim Travis
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 2, 2007
      My toyota corrolla can, it gets 42 mpg and has a 15 gallon tank. I
      have run it 600 miles before refueling. And small cars can tow
      trailers, I did with my 92 honda. I now have a farm truck so I no
      longer put a hitch on my cars, but yes, they do tow. However, it will
      not carry the teenagers and dogs, just the dogs and 2 adults plus a lot
      of gear. I can pick up 8 bags of feed easily with the car.
      Bright Blessings,
      Kim

      Rob Rowland wrote:
      > Now if only they would make a car that fit six (2 adults, 4 teenagers)
      > comfortably, had 4 TON towing capacity and cargo space for our Lab and
      > Great Dane. Then I would gladly replace my Suburban with that vehicle.
      > Until then, I'm keeping the Suburban and riding the motorcycle to work
      > on the nice days. After what we experienced evacuating for Hurricane
      > Rita I will never be without a single vehicle that can haul all of us +
      > gear. I can go nearly 600 miles on the highway before needing a filling
      > station. How many high gas mileage vehicles can do that?
      >
      > :)
      >
      > Rob Rowland

    • Lindsey Honari
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 7, 2007
        Unless it is time to get a new car, you are better off in terms of energy consumption and emissions if you just use what you have for as long as you can.  Think about the resource use and emissions involved in getting the raw materials out of the ground, to process and ship the components to the manufacturing site, to manufacture the new vehicle (not to mention what the employees use to get to the factory), and the energy and emissions cost to transport that new vehicle to a show room lot.

        On top of that, most Americans change cars every 3-5 years.

        I would think that keeping your car or buying a used one would be equal to or greater than the energy and emissions savings by getting a hybrid or a car with better mileage.  Or, as some readers have offered in terms of upgrading homes for energy efficiency, you still make the greatest impact by changing your consumption habits.

        Best,

        Lindsey

        On 2/24/07, Paul Archer <tigger@...> wrote:

        My wife and I are looking for a more fuel efficient vehicle than our current
        car, a Honda Element (which gets around 20mpg). We have some negative equity
        on the Element, so we're having a hard time finding something we can afford.
        The Prius seems like a great car (and has some really geeky-cool features),
        but it's a little too expensive--not to mention the lack of room compared to
        the Element, or practically anything else.
        Does anyone have a suggestion for a vehicle that gets better-than-average
        gas mileage, won't cost too much ("too much" meaning more than $22-24k), and
        maybe has some room?

        Thanks,

        Paul

        "Somebody did say Swedish porn, there--
        but someone always does..."
        --Clive Anderson, host of "Whose Line Is It, Anyway",
        after asking the audience for movie suggestions

      • cgalvan21
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 7, 2007
          Kudos to you, Lindsey, for a fabulous response!

          A back-of-an-envelope calculation tells me that switching from a
          Suburban (est. 15mpg) to a Prius (est. 40 mpg), driving 15k miles per
          year would save about 625 gallons of gasoline per year. Assuming
          that a person holds onto his or her Suburban for an extra three years
          before buying the Prius, they will consume an extra 1875 gallons of
          gasoline, or the equivalent of an extra 69 megawatthours of energy**.

          Group: does it take more than 69 MWh to build a Prius?

          -Chris

          **Source: http://www.onlineconversion.com

          --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, "Lindsey Honari" <llhonari@...> wrote:

          > Unless it is time to get a new car, you are better off in
          > terms of energy consumption and emissions if you just use
          > what you have for as long as you can. Think about the resource
          > use and emissions involved in getting the raw materials out of
          > the ground, to process and ship the components to the
          > manufacturing site, to manufacture the new vehicle (not to
          > mention what the employees use to get to the factory),
          > and the energy and emissions cost to transport that new
          > vehicle to a show room lot.
          >
          > On top of that, most Americans change cars every 3-5 years.
          >
          > I would think that keeping your car or buying a used one
          > would be equal to or greater than the energy and emissions
          > savings by getting a hybrid or a car with better mileage.
          > Or, as some readers have offered in terms of upgrading homes
          > for energy efficiency, you still make the greatest impact by
          > changing your consumption habits.
          >
          > Best,
          >
          > Lindsey

        • Ariel Thomann
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 8, 2007
            I can't answer your question re building a Prius (or a twice-as-heavy Suburban).
            I do know my 23-1/2 month old Prius, which just had its 40K service, averaged
            an honest 44 mpg all-around, until current increase in ethanol resulted in loss
            of mileage down to about 41-42 mpg.

            Peripherally related to this, the Oshkosh company is coming right along with a
            diesel-electric heavy truck for the US military.

            Ariel
            generations.
            ------------------------------------

            > Kudos to you, Lindsey, for a fabulous response!
            >
            > A back-of-an-envelope calculation tells me that switching from a
            > Suburban (est. 15mpg) to a Prius (est. 40 mpg), driving 15k miles per year
            > would save about 625 gallons of gasoline per year. Assuming that a person
            > holds onto his or her Suburban for an extra three years before buying the
            > Prius, they will consume an extra 1875 gallons of gasoline, or the equivalent
            > of an extra 69 megawatthours of energy**.
            >
            > Group: does it take more than 69 MWh to build a Prius?
            >
            > -Chris
            >
            > **Source: http://www.onlineconversion.com
            >

            > --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, "Lindsey Honari" <llhonari@...> wrote:
            >
            >> Unless it is time to get a new car, you are better off in
            >> terms of energy consumption and emissions if you just use
            >> what you have for as long as you can. Think about the resource
            >> use and emissions involved in getting the raw materials out of
            >> the ground, to process and ship the components to the
            >> manufacturing site, to manufacture the new vehicle (not to
            >> mention what the employees use to get to the factory),
            >> and the energy and emissions cost to transport that new
            >> vehicle to a show room lot.
            >>
            >> On top of that, most Americans change cars every 3-5 years.
            >>
            >> I would think that keeping your car or buying a used one
            >> would be equal to or greater than the energy and emissions
            >> savings by getting a hybrid or a car with better mileage.
            >> Or, as some readers have offered in terms of upgrading homes
            >> for energy efficiency, you still make the greatest impact by
            >> changing your consumption habits.
            >>
            >> Best,
            >>
            >> Lindsey

          • Larry Weber, Sales
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 8, 2007
              Re: [hreg] Re: prius vs ? Why buy new car?  I paid $1800 for 79 mercedes 240D, 4 cyl., four door full size sedan.
              Rebuilt engine, new AC, etc. for $5K.  Getting 35 mpg.

              Biodiesel will probably be one of the best fuels of the future, can be made from many things.
              There are several production plants in Texas.  We are discussing with one producer to become a distributor.

              We are also designing an under water lighting system for a customer that will be growing algae for biodiesel production.

              Larry weber

              Naturallighting.com
              1414 FM 646 RD E
              DICKINSON, TX  77539

              Toll Free  1.888.900.6830
              FAX        281.559.4949

              email:  larry@...
              http://www.naturallighting.com

            • Robert Johnston
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 12, 2007

                Lindsey,

                You are assuming that the car gets scrapped.  But if it is sold to another user, (and so forth, handed down the “car food chain” to teenagers, etc., until it dies), then your calculus would have to be adjusted.

                I agree with your general sentiments on hybrids and fuel efficient cars, though.  A Honda Civic is a great car, and you don’t have to replace batteries or do other expensive maintenance at 100k miles.  It is starting to come out in the press how much these repairs are costing.  That is why I shied away from them myself—the math never added up for me.  (I find it curious that many of those who eschew “corporate welfare” seem to love tax credits for hybrids.  If that isn’t corporate welfare, what is?!).

                Robert