Re: [hreg] Chronicle lead editorial - Texas may phase out incandescent bulbs?

  • Rob Rowland
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 1, 2007
      I don't see that as a viable alternative.  Not really realistic.  There are NO replacements for incandescent bulbs of certain sizes.

      Rob Rowland
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 1, 2007

        I have yet to not find a CFL or Led replacement, did you have any in particular that you were looking for?

        With the $1.00 tax perhaps a change of fixture would then provide the right solution.

        David

        I don't see that as a viable alternative.  Not really realistic.  There are NO replacements for incandescent bulbs of certain sizes.

        Rob Rowland

      • Robert Johnston
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 4, 2007

          I continue to have such bad luck with longevity of CFL’s—typically just 6 mos to 2 years (max)—vs. claimed 5-7 yrs—that I don’t think they should be legislating CFLs until the technology is working as advertised.  I’ve tried half a dozen brands including Autocell Electronics and they just aren’t lasting.  Is it lightning in this region affecting electronic ballasts, or what?  The other issue I have is that stores aren’t carrying 2700 K bulbs for the most part.  If they would, I think it would be easier to get folks to switch, since they have color more similar to incandescents, instead of the garish blue of high color temperature CFLs.

          Robert

          But what about when the incandescent is the proper bulb, that is when
          you need the heat, not just the light? Hardly a sin. Do you like to
          eat? If yes, please don't punish the farmers, we have a hard enough
          time as is.
          Bright Blessings,
          Kim

          David Power wrote:

          > How about a sin tax of $1.00 per incandescent bulb? More revenue for the
          > state and gets the costs more inline with cfls.
          >
          > Either that or attach the 120lb bag of coal to the bulb that you have
          > to burn to light it.
          >

          > David

        • William & Cynthia Stange
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 4, 2007
            A lot of problems with CFLs is the duration of use. CFLs like to be turned on and left on,ie. front porch lights, kitchen lighting that is used for extend periods. They (CFLs) do not like being turned on and less than 5 minutes (or less) turned back off, being that their burn in time has not been reached yet. They are not "instant on" lamps. Also any dimmers and/or timers (photo-cells, motion-sensors are not compatible with CFLs. There is always the likelihood of running into a batch of bad product, esp. from the big box stores. I have found that not only CFLs but incandescents as well are often seconds, or handled roughly when finding their way to store shelves. If you have continued problems have an electrician check all available neutral connections (grounded conductor) both in branch circuits as well as main conductor at your service panel. All fluorescent also like to be solidly grounded (bare or green wires). I currently have 5) 20 watt floodlight shaped (R-40) lamps that each puts out an equivalent of 75-85 watts and have been in place for 4 years. Hopefully I will be able to find a supplier from a more green perspective instead of relying on the big box stores. Your purchasing dollars I believe may be spent in a more positive manner.
              As an electrician of more than 28 years it's more than time to think about conservation and every one of us needs to be our own designer/engineer to the respect of reducing what we use. As with water conservation a leaky faucet, watering and appliance use contributes to the continued loss of our energies/resources. All the best, Bill Stange

            David Power wrote:

            > How about a sin tax of $1.00 per incandescent bulb? More revenue for the
            > state and gets the costs more inline with cfls.
            >
            > Either that or attach the 120lb bag of coal to the bulb that you have
            > to burn to light it.
            >

            > David

          • jmiggins
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 4, 2007
              Robert you might have issues with your voltage or power quality at your dwelling.  It is not unusual to have voltage swings from 117 to 134 volts depending onthe time of day and your space on the power line.  It is unusual for all the brands to have longevity problems, I think the common denominator might be some other issue.  I do agree with your point that they are not for everyone and every application.

              There are small power conditioners that smooth out the power voltage, ;phase etc... and provide clean power, a good experiment would to plug of these in and then runthe bulbs off it to see if there is any difference.

              all the best

              John Miggins
              Harvest Solar Energy LLC
              "renewable solutions to everyday needs"
              1571 East 22 place, Tulsa OK 74114
              918-743-2299 office
              918-521-6223 Cell
              www.harvestsolar.net

              David Power wrote:

              > How about a sin tax of $1.00 per incandescent bulb? More revenue for the
              > state and gets the costs more inline with cfls.
              >
              > Either that or attach the 120lb bag of coal to the bulb that you have
              > to burn to light it.
              >

              > David

              Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.
              Checked by AVG Free Edition.
            • Michael Ewert
              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 4, 2007

                I’ve had trouble with short life on some too, but so far the ones I got from John Miggins and from Lighting Unlimited are going strong.  Does anyone know what Consumer Reports says about CFLs?

                David Power wrote:

                > How about a sin tax of $1.00 per incandescent bulb? More revenue for the
                > state and gets the costs more inline with cfls.
                >
                > Either that or attach the 120lb bag of coal to the bulb that you have
                > to burn to light it.
                >

                > David

              • Rob Rowland
                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 4, 2007
                  I have several areas of the house where I use CFLs.  When they burn out (which is frequent) I just call the manufacturer and then send me a new one.  So far most of the failures have been from overheating of some material inside the ballast that ends up oozing out.  I have not had any fires (thank goodness), but it looks like the potential is there.

                  Rob Rowland

                  David Power wrote:

                  > How about a sin tax of $1.00 per incandescent bulb? More revenue for the
                  > state and gets the costs more inline with cfls.
                  >
                  > Either that or attach the 120lb bag of coal to the bulb that you have
                  > to burn to light it.
                  >

                  > David

                • Kevin Conlin
                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 5, 2007

                    Hi Robert,  I use them also and am questioning the longevity as well.  Now whenever I replace one I write the date on the base with a Sharpie, so I’m hoping to quantify this issue, like you, I have some that are failing too soon.  In other fixtures they have already lasted for years, so it’s been a mixed bag so far.

                    Regards,  Kevin

                    ________________________

                    Kevin Conlin

                    Solarcraft, Inc.

                    4007 C Greenbriar

                    Stafford, TX 77477-4536

                    Local (281) 340-1224

                    Toll Free (877) 340-1224

                    Fax 281 340 1230

                    kconlin@...

                    www.solarcraft.net

                    David Power wrote:

                    > How about a sin tax of $1.00 per incandescent bulb? More revenue for the
                    > state and gets the costs more inline with cfls.
                    >
                    > Either that or attach the 120lb bag of coal to the bulb that you have
                    > to burn to light it.
                    >

                    > David

                  • Nan Hildreth

                      David Power wrote:

                      > How about a sin tax of $1.00 per incandescent bulb? More revenue for the
                      > state and gets the costs more inline with cfls.
                      >
                      > Either that or attach the 120lb bag of coal to the bulb that you have
                      > to burn to light it.
                      >

                      > David

                      Nan Hildreth, Houston 713-842-6643

                      "On playing fields and battlegrounds, challenges that would be daunting and impossible if faced alone are suddenly possible when tackled in a close-knit group.  The people haven't changed, but the way in which the task appears to them has."  Malcolm Gladwell, The Tipping Point

                    • cgalvan21
                      Message 10 of 21 , Mar 5, 2007
                        Several of you have stated that power-cycling CFL's shortens their
                        life. My experience seems to support a corollary to that theory:
                        CFLs that operate 24x7 seem to last a LONG time. Of the two CFL's I
                        have operating 24x7, one has logged about 10000 hrs, the other over
                        26000! The latter has rarely if ever been power cycled since being
                        deployed.

                        With regard to taxing incandescents... I guess that can be a
                        solution, though I think that current marketing efforts are
                        succeeding. I see CFLs or other efficient lighting systems installed
                        everywhere I look. I would rather see more effort put towards
                        recycling the expired lamps.

                        On another note, has anyone seen any research done on the energy
                        *embodied* in a CFLs vs. incandescent? One always sees quoted the
                        fact that these lamps "use 1/4 the energy", "last 10x longer", etc.
                        But what about the energy that goes into making the CFL, which is
                        much more complex and uses materials that might be more rare than
                        those of an incandescent lamp.

                        Just my thoughts...

                        -Chris
                      • Ariel Thomann
                        Message 11 of 21 , Mar 5, 2007
                          Good idea re. dating first use. I recently had to replace my first one -- used
                          on a floor lamp w/ timer, runs whether I'm here or away traveling. Turns on for
                          about 2 hours every morning, about 4 every evening. I lasted over 4 years.
                          Another with similar setup in another lamp is still running strong.

                          Ariel
                          generations.
                          ------------------------------------

                          > Hi Robert, I use them also and am questioning the longevity as well. Now
                          > whenever I replace one I write the date on the base with a Sharpie, so I'm
                          > hoping to quantify this issue, like you, I have some that are failing too
                          > soon. In other fixtures they have already lasted for years, so it's been a
                          > mixed bag so far.
                          >
                          > Regards, Kevin
                        • Robert Johnston
                          Message 12 of 21 , Mar 12, 2007

                            That would work for lamps, I suppose, but I don’t use lamps for any significant length of time, so it would take forever to run the test.  To condition power to overhead lighting, I’d need a whole house conditioner, I suppose.

                            But more to the point, I suspect that CFLs may be more susceptible to dirty power than incandescents are, and probably vary brand by brand.  Any idea of how to measure that, and if stats exist comparing different brands?  I didn’t find anything of use on the energystar website.

                            (btw, you may recall that the 1st Autocell CFL I got only lasted 1 or 2 weeks.  This one lasted 2 years.  I really liked the performance of the 2nd one in terms of light quality and speed of startup, but 2 years is a lot different than the advertised 12,000 hours.  With my usage, I estimate I had about 4000 hours on that bulb).

                            Robert

                            David Power wrote:

                            > How about a sin tax of $1.00 per incandescent bulb? More revenue for the
                            > state and gets the costs more inline with cfls.
                            >
                            > Either that or attach the 120lb bag of coal to the bulb that you have
                            > to burn to light it.
                            >

                            > David

                            size=2 width="100%" align=center>

                            Message 13 of 21 , Mar 12, 2007

                              That’s exactly what I do—I write the date on the base with a Sharpie.  And it is revealing disturbing trends.  The economics arguments are probably still in favor of the CFL, but not nearly as favorable.

                              Hi Robert,  I use them also and am questioning the longevity as well.  Now whenever I replace one I write the date on the base with a Sharpie, so I’m hoping to quantify this issue, like you, I have some that are failing too soon.  In other fixtures they have already lasted for years, so it’s been a mixed bag so far.

                              Regards,  Kevin

                              ____________ _________ ___

                              Kevin Conlin

                              Solarcraft, Inc.

                              4007 C Greenbriar

                              Stafford, TX 77477-4536

                              Local (281) 340-1224

                              Toll Free (877) 340-1224

                              Fax 281 340 1230

                              kconlin@solarcraft. net

                              www.solarcraft. net

                              David Power wrote:

                              > How about a sin tax of $1.00 per incandescent bulb? More revenue for the
                              > state and gets the costs more inline with cfls.
                              >
                              > Either that or attach the 120lb bag of coal to the bulb that you have
                              > to burn to light it.
                              >

                              > David

                            • Robert Johnston
                              Message 14 of 21 , Mar 12, 2007

                                A couple comments...

                                1)       on the “energy embodied” comment, I note that when CFL’s first came out, a lot of them were those quad shaped things that plugged into the ballast, so that you only replaced the bulb part and not the ballast when they burned out.  Those don’t seem to have become very popular with consumers, and I don’t see them in the stores now.  I suspect that is because of varying brands/incompatibilities making it confusing/hassle for consumers, and/or the form factor vs. spiral.  Maybe someone has insight into this.  But I think that if the ballasts were made more robust, and the plug-in design were used, maybe it would address my concerns about premature burnout (if that is the ballast—I don’t even know that, though), and it would also perhaps reduce total “energy embodied”.

                                2)       Leaving CFL’s “on” might be a good idea for longevity, but if one needs a bulb in an intermittent use area, then clearly leaving it on 24x7 will negate the energy savings.  If some CFLs are sensitive to on/off switching as you and some others have commented, then we need a way to determine which brands are tolerant of that behavior.

                                Robert

                                Message 15 of 21 , Mar 14, 2007

                                  I have had very good luck with several brands after noticing some of the lamps were only lasting a few months. It seems that the ballasts are heat sensitive on some brands so they don’t like being inverted or enclosed (recessed lighting) some don’t last long at all if vibrated (ceiling fan or next to a door that is opened and closed a lot. I have on that is installed in my laundry room that is hard to replace, I installed it in the summer of 1990 and it still works fine, gets short cycled (flipped on and off) almost every day (to bad I don’t remember the brand, I have to remove the washing machine from the room to change it).

                                  It also seems to vary by lot. I have been using FEIT CFL’s for 3 or 4 years and have only had a couple fail, then I bought a case of the A style bulbs and 4 out of the 12 failed in 4 months, all were installed in enclosed inverted fixtures, replaced them with their mini twist and they have been fine for over 1 ½ years.  All are 2650k spectrum and energy star certified. They did replace the bulbs under warranty. Maybe we can start keeping a list of the brands that fail early and how they are installed.

                                  David

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Mar 14, 2007

                                    That’s interesting, until I read your e-mail I had forgotten about a PL lamp that I installed twenty years ago, back when the transformer and electronics were external.  It has worked far better and longer than any of the new models, and does get short cycled.  Apparently the quality has suffered in mass production.