Re: [hreg] biogenerator prototype

  • Susan Modikoane
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 7, 2007
      Count me in!  I'll sign any petition or write any letters or go on any go-sees you need me to.

      wrpretired@... wrote:
      A biogenerator operating on lawn waste might be a good research project for a research organization here in the Houston area.  There are tons of leaves and grass clippings buried in landfills every year in our area.  We taxpayers are charged for pickup, hauling and burial of this material.  Why don't we ask our elected officials to set aside a small amount of our garbage fees to fund research for turning lawn waste to power.  The funding could be coordinated through and by the Houston-Galveston Area Council (HGAC) so as to include all the counties and municipalities in the Houston area.

      Two research groups that come to mind are the Texas Energy Center located in Sugar Land and Houston Advanced Research Center (HARC) located in The Woodlands.  Rice University and the University of Houston could also be involved.  A pilot plant could be located at a landfill site so that the cost of pickup and hauling would just about be a wash.

      Can we start the project by getting someone to study (1) the current cost of picking up and disposing of our lawn waste, and (2) the projected cost of separating lawn waste from household waste and getting it delivered to a proposed pilot plant.  This might be a good study for a college student.

      What other municipal areas in the U. S. have already done this study and/or built trash-to-power plants?

      I seem to recall a power plant near the 610 Loop and Hwy. 288 area that tried this back in the 70's.  It was a failure, but used a technology that burned trash in a very old converted generating plant.  So any study would of course be modeled on newer technology, perhaps the technology used to convert biomass into ethanol as is being done to produce gasohol.

      This is just a thought being tossed up in the air to see if it has been tossed up before, whether it has already been shot down, or whether it should be pursued.

      Regards,
      Warren Parker

    • Kevin Conlin
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 7, 2007

        I would think Mayor Bill White might be interested in this technology, he is very progressive when it comes to energy efficiency and policy, and is taking the initiative in making Houston more energy efficient.  I’m of the opinion that it should be illegal to improperly dispose of lawn wastes without trying to recycle this valuable resource.

        ________________________

        Kevin Conlin

        Solarcraft, Inc.

        4007 C Greenbriar

        Stafford, TX 77477-4536

        Local (281) 340-1224

        Toll Free (877) 340-1224

        Fax 281 340 1230

        kconlin@...

        www.solarcraft.net

        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 7, 2007

          I heard 2nd hand that Mayor White is interested in exactly that.  Perhaps we can gather more information and pass it to someone at the City.

          I would think Mayor Bill White might be interested in this technology, he is very progressive when it comes to energy efficiency and policy, and is taking the initiative in making Houston more energy efficient.  I’m of the opinion that it should be illegal to improperly dispose of lawn wastes without trying to recycle this valuable resource.

          ____________ _________ ___

          Kevin Conlin

          Solarcraft, Inc.

          4007 C Greenbriar

          Stafford, TX 77477-4536

          Local (281) 340-1224

          Toll Free (877) 340-1224

          Fax 281 340 1230

          kconlin@solarcraft. net

          www.solarcraft. net

          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 8, 2007

            Having moved from CA to Houston last year I was shocked when the trash delivery service came. This is the only city I've lived in where there isn't seperate trash recepticles for recycling, lawn clippings and garbage. In fact I still have a stack of aluminum cans in my kitchen while I look for a convenient drop off location- pretty regressive as far as I'm concerned.

            Biomass has gotten a lot of hype recently since it has been unjustly lumped together with corn ethanol. A lot of research has been placed in building cellulose ethanol reactors utilizing most any organic feed stock, which could be lawn clippings, to produce ethanol. Another area of biomass research is using a organic feed stock to produce glucose which is then burned in a flash vaporization reactor to produce hydrogen.

            Considering Houston is the energy hub of the US it seems more than viable for it participate is an advanced biomass project.

            Sean

            From: "Michael Ewert" <mewert@...>
            To: <hreg@yahoogroups.com>
            Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 21:56:02 -0600

              From: "Michael Ewert" <mewert@houston. rr.com>
              To: <hreg@yahoogroups. com>
              Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 21:56:02 -0600

              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 8, 2007
                I take my cans to C & D scrap metal for recycling they are located at the corner of Durham and West 25th street.  If that is convient to your house.

                From: "Michael Ewert" <mewert@houston. rr.com>
                To: <hreg@yahoogroups. com>
                Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 21:56:02 -0600

                I heard 2nd hand that Mayor White is interested in exactly that.  Perhaps we can gather more information and pass it to someone at the City.

                I would think Mayor Bill White might be interested in this technology, he is very progressive when it comes to energy efficiency and policy, and is taking the initiative in making Houston more energy efficient.  I知 of the opinion that it should be illegal to improperly dispose of lawn wastes without trying to recycle this valuable resource.

                ____________ _________ ___
                Kevin Conlin
                Solarcraft, Inc.
                4007 C Greenbriar
                Stafford, TX 77477-4536
                Local (281) 340-1224
                Toll Free (877) 340-1224
                Fax 281 340 1230

                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 8, 2007
                  The city has a number of recycling centers; sorry that I don't have time right
                  now to google for them and provide a link.

                  Ariel
                  generations.
                  ------------------------------------

                • Lunce
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 8, 2007
                    Just go ahead and start your own reuse/recycling effort.  The establishment will catch up eventually.

                    Reuse first.  Before you recycle, offer your unwanted treasures to those around you that may be able to use it.

                    City of Bellaire has a great recycling center on Edith and Newcastle (just inside the loop between Beechnut and Evergreen off of Newcastle).  They take newspaper, magazines, junk mail, cardboard, tin, aluminium, Clear glass, plastic 1&2.

                    For Color glass and electronics (plus the previous list) take to Recycle center on Westpark between Fountain View and Chimney Rock (enter on Westpark)

                    Bellaire has stopped recycling their lawn/leaves for the time being (something about contracts), but anyone in the Bellaire area of town who wishes to recycle your lawn clippings/leaves please contact me off this list.  (But everyone here already reuse your lawn clippings - right??)

                    Recently Bellaire started the curb side recycling.  The good - more people who are too busy (lazy) to go to the recycle center will recycle. The Bad - dumping all recycle goods for resorting later by someone else is wasteful and a step backwards for those of us that already sort our recycling materials.  Maybe someone can come up with multiple bin trucks soon.

                    Happy Reusing and Recycling everyone!

                    Lunce

                    From: "Michael Ewert" <mewert@houston. rr.com>
                    To: <hreg@yahoogroups. com>
                    Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 21:56:02 -0600

                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 8, 2007
                      Sorry!!  Forgot to clip in my previous post.

                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 8, 2007
                        I lug all my stuff over to West University recycling.  It's just off 59 (Westpark) and Kirby.

                        Lunce <Lunce@lharchitects. com> wrote:
                        Just go ahead and start your own reuse/recycling effort.  The establishment will catch up eventually.

                        Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.