Re: [hreg] Building Solar Panels at home.

  • Garth & Kim Travis
    Message 1 of 29 , Feb 7, 2007
      Sorry, but it is possible to get the inverter etc for far less than
      $2000. People buy them and don't know what to do with them, hubbies
      loose them in divorces to wifes that have no use for them etc. Search
      ebay and garage sales, you would be amazed at what is out there. I
      bought a slightly used, 2500 watt inverter/battery conditioner for $100.
      It came complete with all the books.

      For many people, a thirty year life span is not a consideration. If you
      are already 70, how long does the thing need to last? How many people
      at that age have the ability to pay for a 'real' system?

      I for one am very glad to see more DIY on this list, we need it. Keep
      up the good work.

      Bright Blessings,
      Kim

      jmiggins wrote:
      > Solar panels are only one part of an energy system, you will need
      > batteries or grid tie electronics. charge controllers, Inverters,
      > fusing, racks etc.. these are minimum of $2000.
      > the cost of $2600 for four panels that reduces the electric bill from
      > $300 to $70 is not realistic. Solar panels are the largest cost so if
      > you can reduce this cost then that is good progress, I commend you for
      > your ingenuity.

    • kayouker
      Message 2 of 29 , Feb 7, 2007
        FYI, my $2600 figure includes all wiring, charge controller,
        inverters, racks, fusing and a few batteries (no grid-tie). Please
        read my other response to understand how 4 panels could have such a
        large impact, because you are correct 400 watts is not much if other
        changes are not made also. Keith --- In
        hreg@yahoogroups.com, "jmiggins" <jmiggins@...> wrote:

        > Solar panels are only one part of an energy system, you will need
        batteries or grid tie electronics. charge controllers, Inverters,
        fusing, racks etc.. these are minimum of $2000.
        > the cost of $2600 for four panels that reduces the electric bill
        from $300 to $70 is not realistic. Solar panels are the largest cost
        so if you can reduce this cost then that is good progress, I commend
        you for your ingenuity.

        > As Kevin states it takes alot of pretty expensive equipment to make
        panels that will last a long time though and be able to brave the
        elements for that period.

        > carry on
        >

        > John Miggins
        > Harvest Solar Energy LLC
        > "renewable solutions to everyday needs"
        > 1571 East 22 place, Tulsa OK 74114
        > 918-743-2299 office
        > 918-521-6223 Cell
        > www.harvestsolar.net

        concept of building your own solar modules (I am assuming you're
        talking about PV), but having built over 125,000 custom solar modules
        in my career, I'm familiar with the technical issues, longevity
        issues, degradation and performance issues, and I can honestly say
        that it is extremely difficult for anyone without the proper
        equipment to build a PV module that will last a minimum of 30 years
        under all kinds of weather conditions.

        > It's also hard for me to believe you can do it cheaper than the
        PV companies, all things considered. I'll be happy to share what I
        know with you and how to overcome the problems if you'd care to share
        your ideas.

        > Best Regards, Kevin
        >

        > ________________________
        >
        > Kevin Conlin
        >
        > Solarcraft, Inc.
        >
        > 4007 C Greenbriar
        >
        > Stafford, TX 77477-4536
        >
        > Local (281) 340-1224
        >
        > Toll Free (877) 340-1224
        >
        > Fax 281 340 1230
        >
        > kconlin@...
        >
        > www.solarcraft.net
        >

        > Please make a note of our new contact information above.

        ----------

        panels. You could probably cover your costs.

        > kayouker <keithyouker@...> wrote:
        >
        > Hello, I'm new to this group and was interested in finding if
        anyone
        > else out there is building their own solar or wind power. I
        started
        > about 4 months ago when our electric bill reached $300 for a
        month and
        > decided we needed to make some changes on that front. I have
        since
        > changed to compact fluorescent (and LED when appropriate) and
        other
        > efficiency changes and have begun building my own solar panels
        of which
        > I now have 4 built and online and this last month my electric
        bill was
        > under $70. So far I'm impressed as I have a family of six so
        there is
        > only so much we can cut back or conserve. I have the materials
        for
        > building another 12 panels and would like to talk with someone
        about
        > design changes that might increase efficiency/output and other
        > technical details. I'm sure there must be others out there with
        > similar approach to becoming self-sufficient on a budget. To
        date I
        > have spent $2600 total on all my improvements and materials.
        Thanks for
        > any input. Keith

        ----------

      • Roy Holder
        Message 3 of 29 , Feb 7, 2007
          At 08:31 AM 2/7/2007 -0600, you wrote:
          > Greetings,
          > Sorry, but it is possible to get the inverter etc for far less than
          > $2000. People buy them and don't know what to do with them, hubbies
          > loose them in divorces to wifes that have no use for them etc. Search
          > ebay and garage sales, you would be amazed at what is out there. I
          > bought a slightly used, 2500 watt inverter/battery conditioner for $100.
          > It came complete with all the books.

          You can also get items that are damaged or have intermittant 'episodes'.
          You of course have to ba careful when buying things off ebay.

          > For many people, a thirty year life span is not a consideration. If you
          > are already 70, how long does the thing need to last? How many people
          > at that age have the ability to pay for a 'real' system?

          The thing needs to last long enough to at least repay the energy and effort
          that went into making it. Even if you are 70 you should not plan to burden
          future generations with wasteful energy practices.
          The embodied energy in the solar panels is nearly identical if they last 30
          years or 5, the difference being the quality and experience of the person
          assembling the panel.
          The 400 watt panels would not likely generate more that $70 a year in
          electricity.
          Simple payback is more than 37 years.
          It is very important to get a long life out of these things. Not to do so
          is a waste of money and energy, even for a DIY situation.
          Never fear, all is not lost, kayouker has the basics of a system that
          should be expandable for fewer $ per watt. This will allow the simple
          payback to be reduced to reasonable levels.

          The $300 electric bill was for summer peak, winter low(last month) would
          naturally be lower(not always - some structures consume more electricity in
          winter than summer). Kayouker should check last years winter bill to
          compare savings, not summer vs. winter, and average several months to
          minimize weather anomalies.

          > I for one am very glad to see more DIY on this list, we need it. Keep
          > up the good work.
          >
          > Bright Blessings,
          > Kim
          >
          > jmiggins wrote:
          >> Solar panels are only one part of an energy system, you will need
          >> batteries or grid tie electronics. charge controllers, Inverters,
          >> fusing, racks etc.. these are minimum of $2000.
          >> the cost of $2600 for four panels that reduces the electric bill from
          >> $300 to $70 is not realistic. Solar panels are the largest cost so if
          >> you can reduce this cost then that is good progress, I commend you for
          >> your ingenuity.

        • Garth & Kim Travis
          Message 4 of 29 , Feb 7, 2007
            Many of the homes that the older people live in are being torn down as
            soon as the elders pass over. Most younger people think they need much
            bigger homes and have no interest in living the way their elders do. I
            don't know a single elderly person that has a $300 electric bill, if
            they did, they wouldn't eat. Most of the seniors and disabled people
            around here [NE Grimes County] live on $600/month or less.

            What many of them have is skill at doing things for themselves.
            Including building their own computers, butchering, and everything in
            between.

            For many of us, the bill rises about $20/month in the summer since we
            run our fans all day and night. My bill can really jump in the winter
            when we are dark and dreary and I need to use artificial lighting, not
            natural.

            The Seniors around here are wasteful of very little, they nothing to waste.

            In the last year my highest bill was 614 KWH, September/06 and my lowest
            was 408 in December/06. A 400 watt system is going to make a bigger
            impact on my usuage than most people.

            Bright Blessings,
            Kim

            Roy Holder wrote:

            > The thing needs to last long enough to at least repay the energy and effort
            > that went into making it. Even if you are 70 you should not plan to burden
            > future generations with wasteful energy practices.
            > The embodied energy in the solar panels is nearly identical if they last 30
            > years or 5, the difference being the quality and experience of the person
            > assembling the panel.
            > The 400 watt panels would not likely generate more that $70 a year in
            > electricity.
            > Simple payback is more than 37 years.
            > It is very important to get a long life out of these things. Not to do so
            > is a waste of money and energy, even for a DIY situation.
            > Never fear, all is not lost, kayouker has the basics of a system that
            > should be expandable for fewer $ per watt. This will allow the simple
            > payback to be reduced to reasonable levels.

          • Steve Shepard
            Message 5 of 29 , Feb 7, 2007
              FYI - I have a used Trace DR3624 inverter for sale.  Thats 24VDC battery voltage in and 120VAC/60 Hz out, 3600 Watts, 70 Amps.  This inverter sells for $1350.00 brand new.  My price on this used inverter is $350.00.  This inverter does have a lot of hours on it because it was in continuous use since 1999 but it still is in working order.  Please let me know if anyone is interested.

              Steven Shepard
              SBT Designs
              25581 IH-10 West
              San Antonio, Texas 78257
              (210) 698-7109
              www.sbtdesigns.com

            • phil6142@aol.com
              Message 6 of 29 , Feb 7, 2007
                Kieth,

                I have a small solar panel array that I have installed at my house.  I did not build the solar panels however, I inhereted them when my grandfather died.  I did build the rack and mount and install them my self though.  The mounting that I used was treated 2x4's and I use a battery for energy storage so my lifespan of this array will definately be much less than 30 years but since my solar panels are already 15 or 20 years old I don't think it is a problem.  My total cost for the inverter (though it is small), battery and wiring was less than $200.  But again I did get the panels and the charge controller for free.  At full sunlight my panels produce about 125 Watts which I use to run my television, entertainment center, and a couple lamps.  I am not sure how much it saves me on electricity bill (I imagine only about 3 to 5 dollars a month) because I installed them at the end of the summer and my bill began to go down consideribly due to using less air conditioner.

                I am also looking into installing a small "wind turbine"  though since I live in town it will have to break all of the conventional wind turbine rules about being above the tubulent boundary layer of the wind and size.  But I think I can build it for farely cheap and since I think it is an interesting project I don't mind spending a little money to test it out.  I am afraid that my experience won't offer much technical benefit to you yet with the question you asked about increasing efficiency but I would be very interested in hearing more about what you have done as I am interested in doing something similar.  Will you be attending the Green Homes 101 thing at UH on monday?

                Phillip Hamilton

                Hello, I'm new to this group and was interested in finding if anyone
                else out there is building their own solar or wind power. I started
                about 4 months ago when our electric bill reached $300 for a month and
                decided we needed to make some changes on that front. I have since
                changed to compact fluorescent (and LED when appropriate) and other
                efficiency changes and have begun building my own solar panels of which
                I now have 4 built and online and this last month my electric bill was
                under $70. So far I'm impressed as I have a family of six so there is
                only so much we can cut back or conserve. I have the materials for
                building another 12 panels and would like to talk with someone about
                design changes that might increase efficiency/output and other
                technical details. I'm sure there must be others out there with a
                similar approach to becoming self-sufficient on a budget. To date I
                have spent $2600 total on all my improvements and materials. Thanks for
                any input. Keith

              • Kevin Conlin
                Message 7 of 29 , Feb 7, 2007

                  Hi Keith,  Don’t worry, I do not take your comments at all negatively, I’m glad there are people passionate enough to take the initiative to try and build their own modules, even though I really think the time and effort could be better spent.  As members of this group we all try and help each other when we have areas of expertise that others may not.  I was merely offering my expertise in the context of maybe helping you or others avoid fatal mistakes that would lead to the modules degrading over a relatively short period of time, even the early module manufacturers made mistakes early on.

                  I’m not sure how much your modules cost, but as someone who builds systems with a minimum 30 year design life, even if you can build a module for half the retail cost, if it only lasts 10 years you are not saving money as a commercial module will last 30.

                  I’m here if you need me.

                  Best Regards,  Kevin

                  ________________________

                  Kevin Conlin

                  Solarcraft, Inc.

                  4007 C Greenbriar

                  Stafford, TX 77477-4536

                  Local (281) 340-1224

                  Toll Free (877) 340-1224

                  Fax 281 340 1230

                  kconlin@...

                  www.solarcraft.net

                  Message 8 of 29 , Feb 7, 2007
                    You are correct in that I was comparing Apples and Oranges with peak
                    summer vs winter electric in my solar project. I don't have years or
                    years or even months of data, however I can say that last December my
                    usage was over 1200 kWh and this year it was under 600 kWh with a one
                    degree difference in average Houston temperature. I still have
                    children at home the same as last year and while they are learning
                    conservation and turning lights out more often, they still watch
                    Cable TV, play on the PlayStation 3 etc. etc. On a personal level,
                    that is a 50% reduction in one home without major remodeling or cost
                    outlay. Did my solar panels "only" account for that drop? No, but
                    the mentality of conservation and realization of energy production vs
                    usage which goes into a solar system did. My guess is that even
                    people who have a solar water heater installed not only save due to
                    decreased cost of heating water, but in the process I'll bet they
                    have turned down the temperature a few degrees and are more
                    conservtive in their usage of that same water. I disagree with the
                    37 year payback because as mentioned I already have the materials to
                    build a total of 16 panels (about a 2 Kwh system) not just the 4 I
                    have completed and installed. Averaged out the materials used in each
                    panel are around $100 as opposed to a $600-$800 commercial panel. The
                    rest of my investment was for the wiring, invertors, compact
                    fluorescent etc. It is likely that down the road I will invest in
                    commercial panels to add to my initial system, but I will be much
                    more knowledgable and effective with those panels.
                    In the whole scheme of things, my few panels have about as much
                    impact as my voting each November. If everyone realized that their
                    ONE vote does count, there would be a landslide effect.

                    --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, Roy Holder <roy@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    > compare savings, not summer vs. winter, and average several months
                    > minimize weather anomalies.
                    >

                    > > I for one am very glad to see more DIY on this list, we need it.
                    Keep
                    > > up the good work.
                    > >
                    > > Bright Blessings,
                    > > Kim
                    > >
                    > > jmiggins wrote:
                    > >> Solar panels are only one part of an energy system, you will
                    need
                    > >> batteries or grid tie electronics. charge controllers,
                    Inverters,
                    > >> fusing, racks etc.. these are minimum of $2000.
                    > >> the cost of $2600 for four panels that reduces the electric bill
                    from
                    > >> $300 to $70 is not realistic. Solar panels are the largest cost
                    so if
                    > >> you can reduce this cost then that is good progress, I commend

                  • Rob Rowland
                    Message 9 of 29 , Feb 7, 2007
                      Please contact me off-line.  I am interested in talking to you about the panels you built.

                      Regards,

                      Rob Rowland

> [...]

                      minimum
                      > of 30 years under all kinds of weather conditions.
                      >

                      > It's also hard for me to believe you can do it cheaper than the PV
                      > companies, all things considered. I'll be happy to share what I
                      know with
                      > you and how to overcome the problems if you'd care to share your
                      ideas.

                      > Best Regards, Kevin
                      >

                      > ____________ _________ ___
                      >
                      > Kevin Conlin
                      >
                      > Solarcraft, Inc.
                      >
                      > 4007 C Greenbriar
                      >
                      > Stafford, TX 77477-4536
                      >
                      > Local (281) 340-1224
                      >
                      > Toll Free (877) 340-1224
                      >
                      > Fax 281 340 1230
                      >
                      > kconlin@...
                      >
                      > www.solarcraft. net <http://www.solarcra ft.net/>
                      >

                      > Please make a note of our new contact information above.

                    • Michael Ewert
                      Message 10 of 29 , Feb 7, 2007

                        Keith,

                        Yours is an awesome story. Thanks for the inspiration.  I think many of us would be interested to know how you sealed your PV cells?  Under glass?  What kind of frame, caulk, etc.

                        Mike

> [...]

                        of
                        > building your own solar modules (I am assuming you're talking about
                        PV), but
                        > having built over 125,000 custom solar modules in my career, I'm
                        familiar
                        > with the technical issues, longevity issues, degradation and
                        performance
                        > issues, and I can honestly say that it is extremely difficult for
                        anyone
                        > without the proper equipment to build a PV module that will last a
                        minimum
                        > of 30 years under all kinds of weather conditions.
                        >

                        > It's also hard for me to believe you can do it cheaper than the PV
                        > companies, all things considered. I'll be happy to share what I
                        know with
                        > you and how to overcome the problems if you'd care to share your

                        w:st="on">TX 77477-4536

                        > Local (281) 340-1224
                        >
                        > Toll Free (877) 340-1224
                        >
                        > Fax 281 340 1230
                        >
                        > kconlin@...
                        >
                        > www.solarcraft. net <http://www.solarcra ft.net/>
                        >

                        > Please make a note of our new contact information above.
                        >

                        > _____

                      • Susan Modikoane
                        Message 11 of 29 , Feb 7, 2007
                          I'd like to have a class at one of the meetings or at least a talk by Keith.  It may be we will get to the point where we cannot wait until we can afford commercial panels.

                          Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.

                        • kayouker
                          Message 12 of 29 , Feb 8, 2007
                            I'm not an expert and am not ready to teach how to make a solar panel
                            as I joined this board to get ideas of how to improve my own panels.
                            In my case I was able to purchase monocrystaline cells for about 50
                            cents per watt. I then solder bus wire between the cells (2 per cell
                            so that all connections are doubled in case of a single connection
                            failure) and lay them out on a piece of glass. Belive it or not, the
                            most expensive part of the panel is the glass. I'm using double-
                            strength glass and lay a sheet of plastic window screen between the
                            cells and the bottom glass so the cells don't actually touch the
                            glass. To space the two pieces of glass so they don't lay directly
                            on the cells I use poker chips. Yes, I said poker chips, as they
                            allowed me to change the spacing easily to obtain the desired final
                            thickness. The chips and the glass are then glued with an epoxy to
                            make a giant wafer/panel. I then seal all the way around generously
                            with caulk (20 year clear silicon). I then stop at my local Home
                            Depot and buy aluminum channel which is then notched and bent to make
                            a frame to protect the edges. This is glued in place and then sealed
                            again with caulk around all edges. It takes one afternoon to build a
                            panel. I've mounted them free-standing in my backyard on homemade
                            steel frames that are attached to a pipe which runs through eye-bolts
                            in 4x4 posts. This allows them to swivel and can be easily taken
                            down should a hurricane etc pop up or when I move. They actually
                            look pretty cool too in my opinion. I embarked on this project as
                            there really is no help out there in Houston even for simple mounting
                            and connections etc. Even if you bought commercial panels unless you
                            spent $$$$$ you can't get them mounted or connected and nobody will
                            even talk to you unless you are purchasing an entire system. This
                            design allows me flexibility, portability and I can always repair
                            them myself if need be. As I told my wife when I built the first
                            one, if it doesn't work, I'm out $100 give or take and missed a
                            couple football games on TV. The truth is, it was worth $100 the
                            first time I put an LED light on the wires and it lit up from the
                            energy emitted from my dining room lights (yes, my panel workshop is
                            the dining room table). It was worth even more when I took it
                            outside in the sun and it powered a small fan. Yes, I do get excited
                            easily. Keith

                            Now for the problems encountered and where advice from others would
                            be helpful. I don't like using glass, as long as I'm careful it
                            doesn't matter but glass may eventually break. I could use an
                            aluminum back plate but that doesn't help the front and the aluminum
                            cost much more. Plate glass or safety glass is too expensive and
                            very heavy, and plexiglass is also very expensive although I may have
                            to change to this anyway. I also had a problem with moisture sealed
                            into one panel (it was a humid day). I drilled a hole in the side
                            and filled it completely with mineral oil which drove out all the air
                            and moisture and did not seem to effect the optical properties. What
                            I am currently exploring is to find a clear plastic polymer or resin
                            which hardens that could be poured inside between the glass to
                            completely seal everything and thereby embed the cells and
                            connections inside. If done properly I may even be able to remove
                            the glass (or maybe re-useable aluminum form) and have a solid panel
                            that would last 30 years, no glass and therfore also reduced cost. If
                            it flowed well, it could even be poured on top without the top glass
                            and allowed to set and harden. Now to find this resin at an
                            affordable price. My oldest panel at the moment is 4 months and it
                            is as good as the day I made it but I still need to refine my
                            process/materials. The point is that it can be done and
                            inexpensively and in my case in one Saturday afternoon per panel.
                            Ok, I'm ready for the emails from manufacturers on how much better
                            their panels are and at only 6-8 times the cost, excluding postage
                            and handling of course. Keith

                            --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, Susan Modikoane <suemodikoane@...> wrote:

                            > I'd like to have a class at one of the meetings or at least a talk
                            by Keith. It may be we will get to the point where we cannot wait
                            until we can afford commercial panels.

                            > Michael Ewert <mewert@...> wrote: Keith,
                            > Yours is an awesome story. Thanks for the inspiration. I think
                            many of us would be interested to know how you sealed your PV cells?
                            Under glass? What kind of frame, caulk, etc.
                            > Mike
                            >

                            > ---------------------------------

                            Behalf Of kayouker
> [...]
                            > minimum
                            > > of 30 years under all kinds of weather conditions.
                            > >

                            > > It's also hard for me to believe you can do it cheaper than the PV
                            > > companies, all things considered. I'll be happy to share what I
                            > know with
                            > > you and how to overcome the problems if you'd care to share your
                            > ideas.
                            > >

                            > > Best Regards, Kevin
                            > >

                            > > ________________________
                            > >
                            > > Kevin Conlin
                            > >
                            > > Solarcraft, Inc.
                            > >
                            > > 4007 C Greenbriar
                            > >
                            > > Stafford, TX 77477-4536
                            > >
                            > > Local (281) 340-1224
                            > >
                            > > Toll Free (877) 340-1224
                            > >
                            > > Fax 281 340 1230
                            > >
                            > > kconlin@
                            > >
                            > > www.solarcraft.net <http://www.solarcraft.net/>
                            > >

                            > > Please make a note of our new contact information above.

                          • Andrew McCalla
                            Message 13 of 29 , Feb 8, 2007

                              Keith,

                              Can you post a picture or two for us of the finished product?

                              Andrew H. McCalla

                              NABCEP Certified Solar PV System Installer (TM)

                              Meridian Energy Systems

                              2300 S. Lamar, Ste. 107

                              Austin, TX   78704

                              Voice: (512) 448-0055

                              Fax:    (512) 448-0045

                              www.meridiansolar.com

> [...]

                              is as good as the day I made it but I still need to refine my
                              process/materials. The point is that it can be done and
                              inexpensively and in my case in one Saturday afternoon per panel.
                              Ok, I'm ready for the emails from manufacturers on how much better
                              their panels are and at only 6-8 times the cost, excluding postage
                              and handling of course. Keith

                              --- In hreg@yahoogroups. com, Susan Modikoane <suemodikoane@ ...> wrote:

                              > I'd like to have a class at one of the meetings or at least a talk
                              by Keith. It may be we will get to the point where we cannot wait
                              until we can afford commercial panels.

                              > Michael Ewert <mewert@...> wrote: Keith,
                              > Yours is an awesome story. Thanks for the inspiration. I think
                              many of us would be interested to know how you sealed your PV cells?
                              Under glass? What kind of frame, caulk, etc.

                              w:st="on">Houston needs more PV

                              "Kevin Conlin" <kconlin@> wrote:

                              > > Hi Folks, Mr. Solar Curmudgeon here, I'm intrigued by the concept
                              > of
                              > > building your own solar modules (I am assuming you're talking
                              about
                              > PV), but
                              > > having built over 125,000 custom solar modules in my career, I'm
                              > familiar
                              > > with the technical issues, longevity issues, degradation and
                              > performance
                              > > issues, and I can honestly say that it is extremely difficult for
                              > anyone
                              > > without the proper equipment to build a PV module that will last
                              > minimum
                              > > of 30 years under all kinds of weather conditions.
                              > >

                              > > It's also hard for me to believe you can do it cheaper than the PV
                              > > companies, all things considered. I'll be happy to share what I
                              > know with
                              > > you and how to overcome the problems if you'd care to share your
                              > ideas.
                              > >

                              > > Best Regards, Kevin
                              > >

                              > > ____________ _________ ___
                              > >
                              > > Kevin Conlin
                              > >
                              > > Solarcraft, Inc.
                              > >
                              > > 4007 C Greenbriar
                              > >
                              > > Stafford ,
                              w:st="on">TX 77477-4536

                              > > Local (281) 340-1224
                              > >
                              > > Toll Free (877) 340-1224
                              > >
                              > > Fax 281 340 1230
                              > >
                              > > kconlin@
                              > >
                              > > www.solarcraft. net <http://www.solarcra ft.net/>
                              > >

                              > > Please make a note of our new contact information above.
                              > >

                              > > _____

                              http://www.eset.com

                            • Bashir Syed
                              Message 14 of 29 , Feb 8, 2007
                                I have been reading these post with great amusement, since our company was had started making Solar PV Modules abroad (early 2005) and I know how they are made, but didn't want to comment. Number one requirement is to have the right connection yto acquire Silicon Solar cells, because the whole process after that depends on this major step in the assembly and lamination process. We had succeeded in the acquisition of Silicon Solar Cells from Europe and started making the Modules. Our main hurdle came because I was located in US and our man incharge was in Asia. The greed overtook this man and things went haywire, resulting in the closure of our work. We have not given up and will be resuming our work as soon as possible.

                                Bashir A. Syed
                                Member: American Solar Energy Society, Senior Member International Solar Energy Society, APS, IEEE, UCS, and New York Academy of Sciences
                                Retired Aerospace Physicist
                                Vice President, R&D
                                Alt-EnergyTech, Inc.
                                (formerly EnerTech Enterprises, Inc.)
                                1120 NASA Parkway, Suite 220W
                                Houston, TX 77058.

                                P.S. I taught the first course (bringing 1980) to Design and Fabricate CMOS-SOS Very Large Scale Integrated Circuits (VLSI) at GE Aerospace Electronic Systems Department, Utica, NY, and later was responsible for changing the Radar Technology from Microwave Vacuum Tubes to Solid State - Monolithic Microwave Integrated Circuits using Gallium Arsenide Technology extending as far as Millimeter Wave Devices, Photonics using Fiber-Optics, and how to protect them from Nuclear and Space Radiation.

> [...]

                                is as good as the day I made it but I still need to refine my
                                process/materials. The point is that it can be done and
                                inexpensively and in my case in one Saturday afternoon per panel.
                                Ok, I'm ready for the emails from manufacturers on how much better
                                their panels are and at only 6-8 times the cost, excluding postage
                                and handling of course. Keith

                                --- In hreg@yahoogroups. com, Susan Modikoane <suemodikoane@ ...> wrote:

                                > I'd like to have a class at one of the meetings or at least a talk
                                by Keith. It may be we will get to the point where we cannot wait
                                until we can afford commercial panels.

                                > Michael Ewert <mewert@...> wrote: Keith,
                                > Yours is an awesome story. Thanks for the inspiration. I think
                                many of us would be interested to know how you sealed your PV cells?
                                Under glass? What kind of frame, caulk, etc.

                                http://www.eset. com

                              • Garth & Kim Travis
                                Message 15 of 29 , Feb 8, 2007
                                  Do you mind sharing your source of materials? Was this a lucky find or
                                  does your supplier have them all the time?

                                  A side note to all our new members: Please trim your posts. About half
                                  of the people on this list get their messages in digest form and really
                                  appreciate trimed messages.

                                  Bright Blessings,
                                  Kim [List Owner]

                                  kayouker wrote:
                                  > I'm not an expert and am not ready to teach how to make a solar panel
                                  > as I joined this board to get ideas of how to improve my own panels.
                                  > In my case I was able to purchase monocrystaline cells for about 50
                                  > cents per watt.
                                • Jack Wagner (HSN)
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Feb 8, 2007

                                    What a great thread – Keith taking action we all admire and Bashir with a wealth of technical knowledge and experience. Maybe we could connect a few of the people dots and have that class after all. It’s amazing how many great companies (Apple, etc) were created in people’s garages.

                                    Can you post a picture or two for us of the finished product?

                                    Andrew H. McCalla

                                    NABCEP Certified Solar PV System Installer (TM)

                                    Meridian Energy Systems

                                    2300 S. Lamar, Ste. 107

                                    Austin , TX   78704

                                    Voice: (512) 448-0055

                                    Fax:    (512) 448-0045

                                    www.meridiansolar. com

                                    size=2 width="100%" align=center tabIndex=-1>

> [...]

                                    is as good as the day I made it but I still need to refine my
                                    process/materials. The point is that it can be done and
                                    inexpensively and in my case in one Saturday afternoon per panel.
                                    Ok, I'm ready for the emails from manufacturers on how much better
                                    their panels are and at only 6-8 times the cost, excluding postage
                                    and handling of course. Keith

                                    --- In hreg@yahoogroups. com, Susan Modikoane <suemodikoane@ ...> wrote:

                                    > I'd like to have a class at one of the meetings or at least a talk
                                    by Keith. It may be we will get to the point where we cannot wait
                                    until we can afford commercial panels.

                                    > Michael Ewert <mewert@...> wrote: Keith,
                                    > Yours is an awesome story. Thanks for the inspiration. I think
                                    many of us would be interested to know how you sealed your PV cells?
                                    Under glass? What kind of frame, caulk, etc.

                                    http://www.eset. com

                                  • Chris Boyer
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Feb 8, 2007
                                      Keith,
                                      It sounds like you have a really neat DIY system.  I think lots of people in the group would be interested in it.  Could you come to our next HREG meeting (April 29th) and tell us more about it - maybe bring some pictures.

                                      It would be great to have a presentation of DIY systems at the next meeting.

                                      I have also heard of people attaching blades to automobile alternators (with a gear reduction) to make an inexpensive DIY wind turbine.  Is there anyone out there with such a system?
                                      -Chris

                                    • kayouker
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Feb 9, 2007
                                        You would be better off finding a permanent magnet motor as you would
                                        not need gears and it would last much longer. The main problem in
                                        Houston is we don't have enough wind for a traditional design as they
                                        need about 10 mph winds to actually make any electricity and out put
                                        goes up exponentially with increasing speed. It is do-able here but
                                        would be very disappointing for most. Keith
                                        --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, Chris Boyer <boyer.chris@...> wrote:

                                        > Keith,
                                        > It sounds like you have a really neat DIY system. I think lots of
                                        people in the group would be interested in it. Could you come to our
                                        next HREG meeting (April 29th) and tell us more about it - maybe bring
                                        some pictures.

                                        > It would be great to have a presentation of DIY systems at the next
                                        meeting.

                                        > I have also heard of people attaching blades to automobile
                                        alternators (with a gear reduction) to make an inexpensive DIY wind
                                        turbine. Is there anyone out there with such a system?
                                        > -Chris

                                      • H.C. Clark
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Feb 9, 2007
                                          We used an old attic fan [big one] as the wind driver.  But, this was on the bay and, as you pointed out, wind consistency is a major factor.
                                          You would be better off finding a permanent magnet motor as you would
                                          not need gears and it would last much longer. The main problem in
                                          Houston is we don't have enough wind for a traditional design as they
                                          need about 10 mph winds to actually make any electricity and out put
                                          goes up exponentially with increasing speed. It is do-able here but
                                          would be very disappointing for most. Keith
                                          --- In hreg@yahoogroups. com, Chris Boyer <boyer.chris@ ...> wrote:

                                          > Keith,
                                          > It sounds like you have a really neat DIY system. I think lots of
                                          people in the group would be interested in it. Could you come to our
                                          next HREG meeting (April 29th) and tell us more about it - maybe bring
                                          some pictures.

                                          > It would be great to have a presentation of DIY systems at the next
                                          meeting.

                                          > I have also heard of people attaching blades to automobile
                                          alternators (with a gear reduction) to make an inexpensive DIY wind
                                          turbine. Is there anyone out there with such a system?
                                          > -Chris

                                          !DSPAM:45cc7921272272457613276!
                                        • Ariel Thomann
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Feb 9, 2007
                                            I seem to recall from some of the vendors at the Fredericksburg 'Roundup' that
                                            wind turbines are now effective at as low as 7-8 mph.

                                            Ariel
                                            generations.
                                            ------------------------------------

                                            > You would be better off finding a permanent magnet motor as you would not
                                            > need gears and it would last much longer. The main problem in Houston is we
                                            > don't have enough wind for a traditional design as they need about 10 mph
                                            > winds to actually make any electricity and out put goes up exponentially with
                                            > increasing speed. It is do-able here but would be very disappointing for
                                            > most. Keith
                                            > --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, Chris Boyer <boyer.chris@...> wrote:
                                            >>
                                            >> Keith,
                                            >> It sounds like you have a really neat DIY system. I think lots of
                                            > people in the group would be interested in it. Could you come to our next
                                            > HREG meeting (April 29th) and tell us more about it - maybe bring some
                                            > pictures.
                                            >>
                                            >> It would be great to have a presentation of DIY systems at the next
                                            > meeting.
                                            >>
                                            >> I have also heard of people attaching blades to automobile
                                            > alternators (with a gear reduction) to make an inexpensive DIY wind turbine.
                                            > Is there anyone out there with such a system?
                                            >> -Chris
                                          • kayouker
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Feb 9, 2007
                                              Yes, in Houston a wind turbine is the way to go since they have lower
                                              start speeds. Not many are made though commercially and they look
                                              kind of funny. The same principal still applies though that double
                                              the speed gives 4 times the power and Houston has an avg wind speed
                                              of 9-10 mph. Keith
                                              --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, "Ariel Thomann" <ajthomann@...> wrote:

                                              > I seem to recall from some of the vendors at the
                                              Fredericksburg 'Roundup' that
                                              > wind turbines are now effective at as low as 7-8 mph.
                                              >
                                              > Ariel
                                              > - We are all Human beings here together. We have to help one
                                              another, since
                                              > otherwise there is NO ONE who will help.
                                              > - All countries need a NO REGRETS strategic energy policy. Think
                                              ahead 7
                                              > generations.
                                              > ------------------------------------
                                              >
                                              > > You would be better off finding a permanent magnet motor as you
                                              would not
                                              > > need gears and it would last much longer. The main problem in
                                              Houston is we
                                              > > don't have enough wind for a traditional design as they need
                                              about 10 mph
                                              > > winds to actually make any electricity and out put goes up
                                              exponentially with
                                              > > increasing speed. It is do-able here but would be very
                                              disappointing for
                                              > > most. Keith
                                              > > --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, Chris Boyer <boyer.chris@> wrote:
                                              > >>
                                              > >> Keith,
                                              > >> It sounds like you have a really neat DIY system. I think
                                              lots of
                                              > > people in the group would be interested in it. Could you come to
                                              our next
                                              > > HREG meeting (April 29th) and tell us more about it - maybe
                                              bring some
                                              > > pictures.
                                              > >>
                                              > >> It would be great to have a presentation of DIY systems at the
                                              next
                                              > > meeting.
                                              > >>
                                              > >> I have also heard of people attaching blades to automobile
                                              > > alternators (with a gear reduction) to make an inexpensive DIY
                                              wind turbine.
                                              > > Is there anyone out there with such a system?
                                              > >> -Chris

                                            • Michael Ewert
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Feb 9, 2007

                                                Keith,

                                                Again I say your efforts are impressive.  I can tell you’re trying to think of everything.  Here are a couple of thoughts.

                                                Early PV attempts looked for non-glass covers, but glass is the winner for crystalline silicon.  There must be a reason, but don’t give up the search.  Recent thin film panels do use various laminates.  You might pursue those if you have another way to keep your fragile cells from breaking.  But I’d bet on the glass.  Did you get low iron glass?  That is supposed to add a few percent to transmissivity.

                                                You’re current design sounds pretty darn good.  I’m interested in pictures, like the others.

                                                Mike

                                                Message 23 of 29 , Feb 9, 2007

                                                  Here's an idea.  Keep building the solar panels and build a solar farm.  In 10 years you'll be a millionaire.

                                                • Kevin Conlin
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Feb 12, 2007

                                                    Glass is used because it has almost the same coefficient of expansion as the silicon.  This keeps the superstrate (cover) from trying to tear the cells and their interconnects apart as the module undergoes daily thermal cycling.

                                                    In the past aliphatic urethane has been used very successfully in glass/silicon, non laminated, modules acting as an encapsulant and pliable bond between the glass and silicon, however, it is almost impossible to use it at home, and the module has to be specifically designed to use it.  It does have a transmissivity that is the lowest of any material used for making modules, even lower than the water white, low iron glass typically used for module covers, and if mixed properly, and will not yellow in twenty years.  The window glass you are using probably absorbs up to 5% of the incoming radiation.

                                                    Kevin Conlin

                                                    Solarcraft, Inc.

                                                    4007 C Greenbriar

                                                    Stafford, TX 77477-4536