RE: [hreg] report from Matthew Simmon to Bloomberg on peak oil

  • Robert Johnston
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 6 8:06 PM

      Ed, I’d rather you sent the $100 to our Burma solar energy project.  At least there it would do some good!

      Seriously, this scheme has fraud so clearly written all over it I am surprised you would choose to associate yourself with it, let alone sell it to others, especially here.  Is this a social research project to prove that P.T. Barnum was right?

      Robert

      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 7 5:43 AM
        Robert,

           That whole reply was a typo, not meant for this group. as far as contributing to Burma or whereever in this global world is not my mission in life. We have a problem here in the US, as the largest "consumer" of carbon fuels, we are directly responsible for the crisis in the environment. With 250 million existing automobiles, we need to find a better way to retrofit those in existence rather relying on new models introduced in the year. I hope we still have the freedom to make a choice in how we want to gamble on our future.. I again aplogize for error in sending this link. I guess Edward Teller knew very little about hydrogen.

        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 7 7:42 AM
          You do make an interesting point in your email.  I am not even sure you meant to make this point but you do mention something that has occurred to me before.  Why are we raising money, soliciting donations to send solar equipment abroad when we have deserving and needy poor here (in our country, in our counties, in our cities) who would benefit from the technology? Especially since it is we (the USA) who are one of the largest green house gas producers in the world.  Sometimes (often actually) our behavior as a nation, as a people and as a group makes no sense to me.

          Steven Shepard
          SBT Designs
          25581 IH-10 West
          San Antonio, Texas 78257
          (210) 698-7109
          www.sbtdesigns.com

          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 7 9:31 AM

            That’s funny, but you’re absolutely right, Robert, that website is scam city!

            $45,000 income from a $100 investment?  Sure!  What he has done is price the investment below the radar screen for scams, very few people will go to the trouble of filing a formal complaint for a $100 investment.

            ________________________

            Kevin Conlin

            Solarcraft, Inc.

            4007 C Greenbriar

            Stafford, TX 77477-4536

            Local (281) 340-1224

            Toll Free (877) 340-1224

            Fax 281 340 1230

            kconlin@...

            www.solarcraft.net

            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 7 10:24 AM

              Interesting point.  I guess we all have our reasons for giving where we do, and I’m certainly not one to challenge local giving.  I do both, in fact, with the majority being local. I brought this to the group’s attention simply because I thought some others might be (and were) interested in joining me on a worthwhile solar project.  The motivation for me wasn’t greenhouse gas reduction, but using solar in an environment where it is truly a cost-effective technology, i.e., in the jungles where a noisy generator would bring the military on a killing spree, and where sunlight is plentiful.  You may want to take a look at the website link sent earlier and see if you agree it is a good fit for solar.  As for the U.S. , I hope we understand that poverty is relative, and it doesn’t hurt to recognize that much of the rest of the world is much more poor than we are.  Sharing a bit of our excess is probably good discipline towards the simpler lifestyle that will bring about the objectives you seek.  My 2 cents, but not trying to impose my philosophy on anyone else.

              Regards,

              Robert

              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 7 2:54 PM
                Robert,
                  I don;t want to be a hard nut knocking anybody's good will-itis admirable quality in a human being. Whatt bothers me most is that if you happen to walk near Kemah or Galveston and  watch the luxury yachts cruise in the waterway, you see beautiful teak decks with the sun glistening off the varnished finish and the "BBC's" sit there and smoke their stogies and run their gas spewing carbon machines which is wealth borne on the backs of the masses. Some of that Teak is Burnese, the finest wood in the world for woodworking. Being a custom woodworker, I am familiar with the  costs of such wood, probably some of the highest price in the world. Being a rain forest wood, it is a curse to its neighbors, as deforestation occurs for the tastes of the "royality". The natural resoruces of the people are stolen from them. as the profits from the traders never reach the necessary investments  in infrastructure, and yes poverty and hardships will occur. When you follow the money trail, you will see US policy involved with the thievery, so I have taken a stand of trying to change the world rather than trying to save it. This so called global empire being that is being shaped by the new world order is damaging more lives than saving