Re: [hreg] Energy policy

  • Edward Kramer
    Message 1 of 26 , Jan 24, 2007
      This message is to Sean and any other expert in the field-
      Do you know of the work of Stanley Meyers or Yul Brown?
      Message 2 of 26 , Jan 24, 2007

        Boy, I’d have to agree with Paul, any company that makes those types of claims is surely suspect, I’m not an advocate of the conspiracy theory that says these types of inventions are bought and suppressed by big oil and big auto.  If this was real you can bet the majors would be using this technology to their advantage, especially the Asian manufacturers.  Sounds totally like snake oil to me.

        ________________________

        Kevin Conlin

        Solarcraft, Inc.

        4007 C Greenbriar

        Stafford, TX 77477-4536

        Local (281) 340-1224

        Toll Free (877) 340-1224

        Fax 281 340 1230

        kconlin@...

        www.solarcraft.net

        Message 3 of 26 , Jan 24, 2007
          Frankly, Edward, it doesn't matter what a catalytic converter is, or what
          they claim to do with one. When a demonstrator supposedly closes off the
          exhaust of an internal combustion engine, *and it keeps running*, or the
          narrator claims that the demonstrator can put his face in the exhaust stream
          *because it's not hot*, that's snake oil, pure and simple.
          There is no way an engine can run with it's exhaust closes off the exhaust.
          That violates the basic principles of an ICE (draw in air and fuel, burn the
          fuel, exhaust the spent mixture). And the only way to get cool exhaust gas
          is to cool it with some large apparatus (and then you still have heat, just
          not in the exhaust gas), or have 100% percent efficient combustion, where
          every last bit of energy is turned into work, and none is wasted as heat.
          Since that's impossible, so is their claim.

          Paul

          12:44pm, Edward Kramer wrote:

          > Paul,
          >
          > A catalytical converter is an electrolysis process that creates the separation of hydrogen and oxygen, allowing the the carbon monoxide molecule to pick up a free oxygen molecule for air emmisions as CO2 in the exhaust. Ever see water dripping out of an exhaust pipe in traffic? I The hydrogen is the energy carrier which is wasted in the exhaust. If you ever saw hydrogen "carry energy, you would see the difference in energy usage as compared to carbon as a carrier. Hydrogen does not fan out like carbon, hence making an engine more efficient. That is what this technology is really all about-making an IC engine more efficient in the use of energy. I have been making hydrogen since the summer and I am still here, not blown up. totally amazed about how safe and efficient the process is.
          > Please, anyone make their own conclusions from the video and lets not get into a verbal war. I am not the inventor and am waiting for the units to be available for sale before go I go further on the sucess and claims by the company.
          > Remember the 3 stages of truth
          > 1) ridiculed
          > 2) violently opposed
          > 3) accepted as self evident
          >
          > Edward

          "I'll say this about Linux: it's the first time I've seen Unix
          on the right platform."--Steve Ballmer, president of Microsoft
          (NB: Microsoft used to own SCO, which did, and still does,
          produce a Unix for the Intel platform.)
        • Edward Kramer
          Message 4 of 26 , Jan 24, 2007
            At one time Rockefeller was a snake oil salesman in Titusville Pa, look what happened.
            Boy, I’d have to agree with Paul, any company that makes those types of claims is surely suspect, I’m not an advocate of the conspiracy theory that says these types of inventions are bought and suppressed by big oil and big auto.  If this was real you can bet the majors would be using this technology to their advantage, especially the Asian manufacturers.  Sounds totally like snake oil to me.

            ____________ _________ ___

            Kevin Conlin

            Solarcraft, Inc.

            4007 C Greenbriar

            Stafford, TX 77477-4536

            Local (281) 340-1224

            Toll Free (877) 340-1224

            Fax 281 340 1230

            kconlin@solarcraft. net

            www.solarcraft. net

            Sent: Wednesday, January 24, 2007 11:53 AM

            9:11am, Edward Kramer wrote:

            > Did anyone see the real soloution to the Presidents new energy proposal in his speech last night. Isn't it convienent that in ten years the country will reduce gasoline usage by 20%, about the same time the Saudi Oilfields will become like spindletop! Was there one mention of making the internal combustion more efficient or is it status quo-let another generation choke on it. Well there is cutting edge technology that reverses the efficiency of an IC engine fronm around 18% to around 80% thus increasing tyupical gas mileage by a factor of 300%-400%. It is a modified catalytic
            > converter that will allow an engine to operate on a 50 05 mixture of gas and water if so desired. Its in the final testing stage and should be ready for market by spring. If your interested, there is a 30 minute video on their website for more info.www.preignitio ncc.com.
            >
            > Edward Kramer

            "Isn't that breaking and entering?"
            "Oh, pish. It can't be a crime if it's catered!"

          • Kevin Conlin
            Message 5 of 26 , Jan 24, 2007

              Yeah, but he had a real product and a real business plan.  He didn’t make his money selling snake oil, it was the other stuff.   Those claims are just too fantastic to be true, and every chat group needs a curmudgeon, which would be me!

              ________________________

              Kevin Conlin

              Solarcraft, Inc.

              4007 C Greenbriar

              Stafford, TX 77477-4536

              Local (281) 340-1224

              Toll Free (877) 340-1224

              Fax 281 340 1230

              kconlin@...

              www.solarcraft.net

              Sent: Wednesday, January 24, 2007 11:53 AM

              Message 6 of 26 , Jan 24, 2007
                4:19pm, Kevin Conlin wrote:

                > Yeah, but he had a real product and a real business plan. He didn't make
                > his money selling snake oil, it was the other stuff. Those claims are just
                > too fantastic to be true, and every chat group needs a curmudgeon, which
                > would be me!

                Hey, now! I thought that was my position. Well, I suppose we can share.

                Paul
              • jmiggins
                Message 7 of 26 , Jan 24, 2007

                  I saw this guy Dennis Lee back in 99 or so and he had a real circus going on with the Free Energy Machine.

                  google Better World Technologies and read about the people he as duped over the years.  I wish it were true but it is a scam.

                  John Miggins
                  Harvest Solar Energy LLC
                  "renewable solutions to everyday needs"
                  918-743-2299 office
                  918-521-6223 Cell
                  www.harvestsolar.net
                  > Yeah, but he had a real product and a real business plan. He didn't make
                  > his money selling snake oil, it was the other stuff. Those claims are just
                  > too fantastic to be true, and every chat group needs a curmudgeon, which
                  > would be me!

                  Hey, now! I thought that was my position. Well, I suppose we can share.

                  Paul

                • Susan Modikoane

                    Sent: Wednesday, January 24, 2007 11:53 AM

                    9:11am, Edward Kramer wrote:

                    > Did anyone see the real soloution to the Presidents new energy proposal in his speech last night. Isn't it convienent that in ten years the country will reduce gasoline usage by 20%, about the same time the Saudi Oilfields will become like spindletop! Was there one mention of making the internal combustion more efficient or is it status quo-let another generation choke on it. Well there is cutting edge technology that reverses the efficiency of an IC engine fronm around 18% to around 80% thus increasing tyupical gas mileage by a factor of 300%-400%. It is a modified catalytic
                    > converter that will allow an engine to operate on a 50 05 mixture of gas and water if so desired. Its in the final testing stage and should be ready for market by spring. If your interested, there is a 30 minute video on their website for more info.www.preignitio ncc.com.
                    >
                    > Edward Kramer

                    "Isn't that breaking and entering?"
                    "Oh, pish. It can't be a crime if it's catered!"

                    Get your own web address.

                  • Ed Sarlls
                    Message 9 of 26 , Jan 24, 2007
                      Water injection in WWII airplane engines wasn't for fuel economy, it let them run fuel rich mixtures to get more power, usually for a short time, without burning exhaust valves.

                      All of the auto manufacturers can increase mileage if we are willing to use smaller engines with the reduced acceleration. Most people don't buy the small engines currently available so there isn't much point in making even smaller ones. As the price of gasoline goes up the sales of small cars with small engines will increase.

                      I can't wait for Myth Busters to try running a car on pickle juice!

                      E. Sarlls

                      There was an airplane engine technology used extensively in WWII that injected water into the air/gas mixture before it reached the combustion chamber. It allowed the engine to run cooler and use less fuel as a bonus. The heat and oil breakdown was the big enemy of the giant old V12 piston engine powered aircraft.
                      The bottom line is simple, any company (GM) which has an estimated trillion dollars of worldwide assets that cannot make an ICE design achieve more than 20+ MPG is doing so deliberately.
                      Jim Duncan

                      From: "Edward Kramer" <onekindr@pdq. net>
                      To: <hreg@yahoogroups. com>
                      Subject: [hreg] Energy policy
                      Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 09:11:23 -0600

[...]

                    • johnjackwagner2
                      Message 10 of 26 , Jan 25, 2007
                        Hi all - just read about this new technology and was wondering what
                        other folks think. No snake oil here - I don't think.

                        http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=usse.pk

                        --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Sarlls" <edsarlls@...> wrote:

                        > Water injection in WWII airplane engines wasn't for fuel economy,
                        it let them run fuel rich mixtures to get more power, usually for a
                        short time, without burning exhaust valves.

                        > All of the auto manufacturers can increase mileage if we are
                        willing to use smaller engines with the reduced acceleration. Most
                        people don't buy the small engines currently available so there
                        isn't much point in making even smaller ones. As the price of
                        gasoline goes up the sales of small cars with small engines will
                        increase.

                        > I can't wait for Myth Busters to try running a car on pickle juice!
                        >
                        > E. Sarlls

                      • Jack Wagner (HSN)
                        Message 11 of 26 , Jan 25, 2007

                          Ops – wrong link.

                          http://biz.yahoo.com/iw/070125/0207466.html

                          From: "Edward Kramer" <onekindr@pdq. net>
                          To: < hreg@yahoogroups. com >
                          Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 09:11:23 -0600

[...]

                        • Shafer, Mark B
                          Message 12 of 26 , Jan 25, 2007
                            Did you mean Edwin Drake?  He is the father of drilling for oil wells.  He is the one who kicked off Titusville oil field.

                            Sent: Wednesday, January 24, 2007 11:53 AM

                            Message 13 of 26 , Jan 25, 2007

                              Sure Paul, I’m an equal opportunity curmudgeon!

                              ________________________

                              Kevin Conlin

                              Solarcraft, Inc.

                              4007 C Greenbriar

                              Stafford, TX 77477-4536

                              Local (281) 340-1224

                              Toll Free (877) 340-1224

                              Fax 281 340 1230

                              kconlin@...

                              www.solarcraft.net

                              > Yeah, but he had a real product and a real business plan. He didn't make
                              > his money selling snake oil, it was the other stuff. Those claims are just
                              > too fantastic to be true, and every chat group needs a curmudgeon, which
                              > would be me!

                              Hey, now! I thought that was my position. Well, I suppose we can share.

                              Paul

                            • Robert Johnston
                              Message 14 of 26 , Jan 25, 2007

                                This whole topic was argued many months ago, and you were warned not to waste money investing in this scheme.  I wish it wouldn’t be promoted here, as anyone who buys it will have been scammed and I hate to see HREG develop a reputation for fraudulent schemes based on pseudoscience or worse.

                                Paul has done an excellent job of arguing against this.  If you go back in the archives, you can also find emails from me that provide links to websites that document the fraud that this in fact is.

                                No offense intended to you, Ed, but even while you experiment, please don’t promote here.  And, for every new idea that is initially ridiculed before being accepted, there are probably a thousand that are ridiculed with justification and are ultimately rejected.  If you don’t believe that, I have a new a perpetual motion machine to sell you.  Offline, of course!

                                Just one quick comment on the technical side.  If I understood you correctly, you believe that hydrogen is the energy carrier in water, and it is wasted when water drips out of an exhaust pipe.  If the hydrogen were in its reduced state, it would have energy available to release upon oxidation (reaction with oxygen).  However, in water, it is in the oxidized state, so it is no longer a (useable) energy carrier.  The energy was released as heat (and light, depending on how it was done) when the oxygen and hydrogen came together to form water.  There’s even a name for this energy:  it is the heat of formation.  You can look up in a standard reference book the heat of formation of water from hydrogen and oxygen.  That’s the quantity of heat released when water is formed.

                                Robert

                                Sent: Wednesday, January 24, 2007 11:53 AM

                                Message 15 of 26 , Jan 25, 2007

                                  Susan, At the risk of being yelled at for being off topic, it is a well known and documented fact that both bees and hummingbirds can fly backwards.  In light of the obvious evidence, why would you say that is impossible?  I’m not sure I understand the context of your comment.

                                  Regards,  Kevin

                                  ________________________

                                  Kevin Conlin

                                  Solarcraft, Inc.

                                  4007 C Greenbriar

                                  Stafford, TX 77477-4536

                                  Local (281) 340-1224

                                  Toll Free (877) 340-1224

                                  Fax 281 340 1230

                                  kconlin@...

                                  www.solarcraft.net

                                  Sent: Wednesday, January 24, 2007 11:53 AM

                                  9:11am, Edward Kramer wrote:

                                  > Did anyone see the real soloution to the Presidents new energy proposal in his speech last night. Isn't it convienent that in ten years the country will reduce gasoline usage by 20%, about the same time the Saudi Oilfields will become like spindletop! Was there one mention of making the internal combustion more efficient or is it status quo-let another generation choke on it. Well there is cutting edge technology that reverses the efficiency of an IC engine fronm around 18% to around 80% thus increasing tyupical gas mileage by a factor of 300%-400%. It is a modified catalytic
                                  > converter that will allow an engine to operate on a 50 05 mixture of gas and water if so desired. Its in the final testing stage and should be ready for market by spring. If your interested, there is a 30 minute video on their website for more info.www.preignitio ncc.com.
                                  >
                                  > Edward Kramer

                                  "Isn't that breaking and entering?"
                                  "Oh, pish. It can't be a crime if it's catered!"

                                  Get your own web address.

                                • Sean Kaylor
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Jan 25, 2007

                                    Robert-

                                    I agree with your description of the catalytic process. I might just add several points: First most automoblies use a two stage cataysis process. The first stage uses a Platnium type material which when hot CO and hydrocarbon gas pass over it the hydrogen bonds are weakened resulting in a large majority of the reactants turning to CO2 and H2O. This is process is oxidation (for the CO only). The second stage catalyist reduces NOX to diatomic nitrogen and oxygen. However, the actual catalysis process is not fully understood, it still is somewhat of a black art.

                                    As for the product posted on the internet, I wish they would provide more technical specs. on their product. I watched most of the video but it was so vague I just skipped through it looking for some meat and potatoes information. How exactly do these guys propose boosting engine efficency? There's all this talk about a catalysis which produces hydrogen (which is presume is fed back into the engine intake). I can't possibly imagine how they are accomplishing this. I've been doing some research on producing hydrogen from fuel sources (mostly bio fuels and waste fuel residuals) through a catalysis reaction for my masters thesis. Every proposal I've read uses a reaction process carried at around 800 - 1,000C and 200+ bar. I seriously doubt these guys are achieving such temps and pressures. Does anyone have specs. (not internet hype) for this product?

                                    Sean

                                    Sent: Wednesday, January 24, 2007 11:53 AM

                                    Message 17 of 26 , Jan 26, 2007
                                      The hype is the con artists secret!

                                      Unfortunately a lot of people get drawn in by enthusiasm and spend a lot of effort on something that doesn't have any substance.

                                      Look at the principals involved, their track record, past successes or failures, their financial backers. This isn't a guarantee but it will weed out a lot of the misguided enthusiasts and con artists.

                                      The video looked to me more like a magic show than a scientific experiment.

                                      I've been an engineer for almost 50 years and I have seen a lot of people who thought that were on the verge of discovering the secrete of unlimited energy, anti-gravity ( actually a government program), commuter airplanes ( there are a couple that were technical successes), or some other great achievement. I worked with an engineer who built a steam car in the 80s - a brilliant technical success but economic failure because it cost too much finances dried up.

                                      I review a lot of the technical concepts that are presented to the Space Alliance Technology Outreach Program for technical assistance. If anyone is interested in that program see http://www.spacetechsolutions.com/.

                                      We have more than one Ed on here so don't get me confused with one of the others.

                                      I can always spare a little time if anyone wants to contact me directly. There are thousands of ideas out there, a few are ready for prime time and some will never make it either because of some minor technical problems or major defects. If you have one that looks good I'll help get it submitted to SATOP.

                                      Ed Sarlls

                                      Sent: Wednesday, January 24, 2007 11:53 AM