Re: [hreg] Hello from the SunCube inventor

  • Greg Watson
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 11, 2006
      Hi Ethan,

      The cells have no silica. Here is a link as to the makeup of the cells and their spectral sensitivity:

      The SunCube has been designed for domestic rooftop applications. It is only CPV system we know of which can be mounted on any roof surface, facing any way and at any slope. This means the SunCube can be mounted on your houses rear roof and thus will not alter the street scape look of your house. Additionally due to the very high power density much less roof space is needed versus flat panels.

      If we take the Australian SunCube price (which includes a inbuilt grid connect AC inverter) of AU$1,500, removed our sales tax (GST) and converted into US, the equivalent installed price would be about US$1,000 before any tax rebates, installation credits, feed-in tariffs or Green Credit (RECs) buyback.

      I should add that GGE has moved away from using peak energy figures with our technology and has instead used annual kWh output. On the GGE site there is an example of the direct beam availability for most of the world. Here is the chart (from NASA) which covers the US:

      Your annual kWhs can be calculated by using SunCube peak power in kWs (0.3 kWp) * solar energy availability * 365. For Houston the data suggests direct beam availability is 4 kWh / m2 / day or for a SunCube (rated under Adelaide skies of 5.4 @ 600 kWhs / year) about 440 kWhs per year for US$1,000. The further west you go the better. Austin is about equal to her sister city of Adelaide (where SunCubes are made) at 5.4.

      Hope this helps,
      Greg