RE: [hreg] Fw: solar Boeing Spectrolab

  • Ariel Thomann
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 8, 2006
      Sorry if I'm repeating myself too much, but it seems to "layman me" that Aussie Greg
      Watson's now 2+ year old SunBall (and SunCube) may indeed be the first "terrestrial
      application" of this technology. Again, look at:
      file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner/My%20Documents/-%20ISSUES%20and%20CAUSES/-%20ENERGY-ENVIRONMENT/Sun/SunBall/Green%20and%20Gold%20Energy.htm
      and then click on PARTNERS, the 12th link from the top on the left. You'll see
      Spectrolab very much in there. I don't know whether Greg Watson dreamed it all up first
      and Boeing is putting its muscle behind it, or perhaps Greg saw the potential in
      something he learned Boeing was working on in "his back yard". Perhaps Greg will care
      to join this "string" and educate us all.

      I'm wishing more than ever I could get my hands on one!

      Ariel
      there is NO ONE who will help.
      ------------------------------------

      > Bashir, Boeing has always concentrated (no pun intended) on space applications, and at
      40% efficient these cells would command a huge premium for space and satellite
      applications. It would seem to me that they could sell everything they can build for
      satellites, which is a much more lucrative market than terrestrial applications. I'll
      be real curious to see if they actually pursue terrestrial applications instead of their
      > traditional markets, just how much capacity does Spectrolab really have for such
      specialized cells? And as we all know, getting a new solar technology from lab to
      production is often a long and expensive path, many of the cells that hold efficiency
      records are not available commercially, they can be hand built in small quantities but
      achieving those efficiencies on a megawatt basis is very difficult.

      > ________________________
      >
      > Kevin Conlin
      > Solarcraft, Inc.
      > 4007 C Greenbriar
      > Stafford, TX 77477-4536
      > Local (281) 340-1224
      > Toll Free (877) 340-1224
      > Fax 281 340 1230
      > kconlin@...
      > www.solarcraft.net <http://www.solarcraft.net/>
      > _____

      in different countries, have known about the Concentrator Cell Technology, in which
      Fraunhofer Institute for Solar Energy Systems Freiburg, Germany. [Reference: Fraunhofer
      Institut Solare Energiesysteme, "Annual Report 2004 - Achievements and Results."
      www.ise.fraunhofer.
      > <http://www.ise.fraunhofer.de> de ] is quite well known.
      >
      > Yes, the technology is there but at higher cost compared to Commercial Silicon
      technology.

      > Bashir A. Syed
      > Vice President, R&D
      > Alt-EnergyTech, Inc.
      > 1120 NASA Parkway, Suite 220W
      > Houston, TX 77058

      owned subsidiary of Boeing, has achieved a new world record in terrestrial concentrator
      solar cell efficiency. Using concentrated sunlight, Spectrolab demonstrated the ability
      of a photovoltaic cell to convert 40.7 percent of received solar energy into electricity.
      The U.S. Department of Energy's National Renewable Energy Laboratory in Golden, Colo.,
      verified the milestone last month.

      > "This solar cell performance is the highest efficiency level any photovoltaic device
      has ever achieved," said Spectrolab President David Lillington. "The terrestrial cell we
      have developed uses the same technology base as our space-based cells. So, once
      qualified, they can be manufactured in very high volumes with minimal impact to
      production flow."

      > Spectrolab officials say that high-efficiency multijunction cells have a significant
      advantage over conventional silicon cells in concentrator systems because fewer solar
      cells are required to achieve the same power output. This technology is expected to
      continue to dramatically reduce the cost of generating electricity from solar energy, as
      well as the cost of materials used in high-power space satellites and terrestrial
      applications.

      > "These results are particularly encouraging since they were achieved using a new class
      of metamorphic semiconductor materials, allowing much greater freedom in multijunction
      cell design for optimal conversion of the solar spectrum," said Spectrolab's Richard
      King, principal investigator of the high-efficiency solar cell research and development
      effort. "The excellent performance of these materials hints at still higher efficiency
      in future solar cells."

      > Spectrolab is reducing the cost of solar cell production through research investments
      and is working with several domestic and international solar concentrator manufacturers
      on clean, renewable solar energy solutions. Currently, Spectrolab's terrestrial
      concentrator cells are generating power in a 33-kilowatt full-scale concentrator system
      in the Australian desert. The company recently signed multimillion dollar contracts for
      its high-efficiency concentrator cells and is anticipating several new contracts in the
      next few months. Development of the high-efficiency concentrator cell technology was
      funded by the NREL's High Performance Photovoltaics program and Spectrolab.

    • Ed Sarlls
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 8, 2006
        Thanks for the additional information. Here are some more things that I found about Boeing Spectro Lab.

        These tidbits are mostly taken from Greg's sites and are necessarly out of context - hope that they are not misleading.  Does anyone in the Galveston area have one of Greg's units yet?
        Ed Sarlls

        Spectro Lab supplied PV cells to Greg Watson for his Sun Ball. Greg has some comments on:

        It looks like Boeing Spectrolab is just a PV cell supplier where Greg provides PV systems. The new cells should increase the efficiency of Greg's systems. The more terresterial PV cells used the lower the cost of Solar arrays for space craft.

        "Speectrolab's test data (available on my web site in the "Partners" section has shown that after several years in the very hot Arizona desert there is no degration in output or expected life span. Cousins of these cells power the two rovers on Mars." Greg Watson

        See earlier poste from Ariel, Bashir and J.P.
      • Bashir Syed
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 8, 2006
          The other known source building an array using concentrator elements is Honeywell in saudi Arabia. I have seen the photographs. Other than that perhaps more data can be obtrained from Honeywell. Spectrolab cell technology is expensive compared to the single junction technology, whose efficiency can be enhanced by using Trackers. The competing technologies of CIS (or Copper-Indium-diSelenide) and Conducting Polymers (Konarka), promise cheaper PV systems (as both technologies are not dependent on Silicon).

          Bashir A. Syed

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 9, 2006
            Dear Greg:

            Thanks for your reply. I am eager to get my hands on one SunCube -- I thought I had put
            myself down for one about 13-15 months ago, when you were taking tentative orders as you
            planned to enter full production in Feb 2006 (as I recall). Last year, at the December
            Solstice (winter for us, summer for you, of course) I spent some time looking at where
            an array of 3-4 SunBalls could be installed on my son's property near Austin, Texas,
            without being shaded by trees, etc.

            Please let me know when I might get a SunCube (and co$t$, etc...) as I hope to be able
            to have it put through its paces by some folks in this area who are infinitely more
            knowledgeable technically than I am (I'm just an old dreamer).

            Thanks!

            Ariel
            there is NO ONE who will help.