Fw: solar Boeing Spectorlab

  • Ed Sarlls
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 7, 2006
      There is some duplicationof the info in J.P. Malone's message but maybe
      there is some additional info.

      Boeing Spectrolab terrestrial solar cell surpasses 40% efficiency
      Spectrolab, a wholly owned subsidiary of Boeing, has achieved a new
      world record in terrestrial concentrator solar cell efficiency. Using
      concentrated sunlight, Spectrolab demonstrated the ability of a
      photovoltaic cell to convert 40.7 percent of received solar energy into
      electricity.
      The U.S. Department of Energy's National Renewable Energy Laboratory in
      Golden, Colo., verified the milestone last month.
      "This solar cell performance is the highest efficiency level any
      photovoltaic device has ever achieved," said Spectrolab President David
      Lillington. "The terrestrial cell we have developed uses the same
      technology base as our space-based cells. So, once qualified, they can
      be manufactured in very high volumes with minimal impact to production
      flow."
      Spectrolab officials say that high-efficiency multijunction cells have a
      significant advantage over conventional silicon cells in concentrator
      systems because fewer solar cells are required to achieve the same power
      output. This technology is expected to continue to dramatically reduce
      the cost of generating electricity from solar energy, as well as the
      cost of materials used in high-power space satellites and terrestrial
      applications.
      "These results are particularly encouraging since they were achieved
      using a new class of metamorphic semiconductor materials, allowing much
      greater freedom in multijunction cell design for optimal conversion of
      the solar spectrum," said Spectrolab's Richard King, principal
      investigator of the high-efficiency solar cell research and development
      effort. "The excellent performance of these materials hints at still
      higher efficiency in future solar cells."
      Spectrolab is reducing the cost of solar cell production through
      research investments and is working with several domestic and
      international solar concentrator manufacturers on clean, renewable solar
      energy solutions. Currently, Spectrolab's terrestrial concentrator cells
      are generating power in a 33-kilowatt full-scale concentrator system in
      the Australian desert. The company recently signed multimillion dollar
      contracts for its high-efficiency concentrator cells and is anticipating
      several new contracts in the next few months.
      Development of the high-efficiency concentrator cell technology was
      funded by the NREL's High Performance Photovoltaics program and
      Spectrolab.
    • Ariel Thomann
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 7, 2006
        Interesting. Some 18-20 months ago I learned about the Australian 'SunBall' developed
        by Greg Watson at Green and Gold Energy, and have been interested in it since then, but
        unable to get much feedback on its availability, etc. I had hoped to get my hands on
        one long before now.

        So now I read about this Boeing approach to use of "thin plastic lenses" and
        "concentrators" as a great novelty. It all sounded so familiar... so I went back to the
        SunBall site and guess what... Check
        file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner/My%20Documents/-%20ISSUES%20and%20CAUSES/-%20ENERGY-ENVIRONMENT/Sun/SunBall/Green%20and%20Gold%20Energy.htm

        Could it be that the 'SunBall', and its offspring the 'SunCube', have really been the
        actual first applications of this technology that now Boeing is putting out for the
        world to see? I hope those of you who are more techno-smart than me would comment on
        this.

        Ariel
        there is NO ONE who will help.
        ------------------------------------

        > There is some duplicationof the info in J.P. Malone's message but maybe there is some
        > additional info.
        >

        > Boeing Spectrolab terrestrial solar cell surpasses 40% efficiency
        > Spectrolab, a wholly owned subsidiary of Boeing, has achieved a new world record in
        > terrestrial concentrator solar cell efficiency. Using concentrated sunlight,
        > Spectrolab demonstrated the ability of a
        > photovoltaic cell to convert 40.7 percent of received solar energy into electricity.
        > The U.S. Department of Energy's National Renewable Energy Laboratory in Golden, Colo.,
        > verified the milestone last month.
        > "This solar cell performance is the highest efficiency level any
        > photovoltaic device has ever achieved," said Spectrolab President David Lillington.
        > "The terrestrial cell we have developed uses the same
        > technology base as our space-based cells. So, once qualified, they can be manufactured
        > in very high volumes with minimal impact to production flow."
        > Spectrolab officials say that high-efficiency multijunction cells have a significant
        > advantage over conventional silicon cells in concentrator systems because fewer solar
        > cells are required to achieve the same power output. This technology is expected to
        > continue to dramatically reduce the cost of generating electricity from solar energy,
        > as well as the cost of materials used in high-power space satellites and terrestrial
        > applications.
        > "These results are particularly encouraging since they were achieved using a new class
        > of metamorphic semiconductor materials, allowing much greater freedom in multijunction
        > cell design for optimal conversion of the solar spectrum," said Spectrolab's Richard
        > King, principal
        > investigator of the high-efficiency solar cell research and development effort. "The
        > excellent performance of these materials hints at still higher efficiency in future
        > solar cells."
        > Spectrolab is reducing the cost of solar cell production through
        > research investments and is working with several domestic and
        > international solar concentrator manufacturers on clean, renewable solar energy
        > solutions. Currently, Spectrolab's terrestrial concentrator cells are generating power
        > in a 33-kilowatt full-scale concentrator system in the Australian desert. The company
        > recently signed multimillion dollar contracts for its high-efficiency concentrator
        > cells and is anticipating several new contracts in the next few months.
        > Development of the high-efficiency concentrator cell technology was funded by the
        > NREL's High Performance Photovoltaics program and
        > Spectrolab.
      • Bashir Syed
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 7, 2006
          Those of us who attend International Meetings and are familiar with who is doing what in different countries, have known about the Concentrator Cell Technology, in which Fraunhofer Institute for Solar Energy Systems Freiburg, Germany. [Reference: Fraunhofer Institut Solare Energiesysteme, "Annual Report 2004 - Achievements and Results."  www.ise.fraunhofer.de ] is quite well known.
          Yes, the technology is there but at higher cost compared to Commercial Silicon technology.

          Bashir A. Syed
          Vice President, R&D
          Alt-EnergyTech, Inc.
          1120 NASA Parkway, Suite 220W
          Houston, TX 77058

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 8, 2006

            Bashir, Boeing has always concentrated (no pun intended) on space applications, and at 40% efficient these cells would command a huge premium for space and satellite applications.  It would seem to me that they could sell everything they can build for satellites, which is a much more lucrative market than terrestrial applications.  I’ll be real curious to see if they actually pursue terrestrial applications instead of their traditional markets, just how much capacity does Spectrolab really have for such specialized cells?  And as we all know, getting a new solar technology from lab to production is often a long and expensive path, many of the cells that hold efficiency records are not available commercially, they can be hand built in small quantities but achieving those efficiencies on a megawatt basis is very difficult.

            Kevin Conlin

            Solarcraft, Inc.

            4007 C Greenbriar

            Stafford, TX 77477-4536