Re: [hreg] Heliotube

  • Bashir Syed
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 30, 2006
      Dear Paul:
      I looked at the product and called them twice and left the message. Also I sent them an e-mail to respond, but didn't hear from them. I had a few questions for them regarding the technolgy used for PV modules and price in $/Watt. From the looks of the module it appeared to be Thin-Film amorphous type, which although is guaranteed for ten years but starts degarding in performance after sixth year. Since they are for grid-tied use, the tracker seems to be motorized from utility power or some other mechanism. I needed an explanation, but haven't heard from them at all.

      Bashir A. Syed
      It's a CPV (Concentrating PhotoVoltaic) solution that mounts like a regular
      flat panel.

      Paul

      ------------ --------- --------- --------- -----
      Never ascribe to malice what can perfectly
      well be explained by stupidity. -Anonymous
      ------------ --------- --------- --------- -----

    • Paul Archer
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 2006
        Yesterday, Bashir Syed wrote:

        > Dear Paul: I looked at the product and called them twice and left the
        > message. Also I sent them an e-mail to respond, but didn't hear from them.
        > I had a few questions for them regarding the technolgy used for PV modules
        > and price in $/Watt. From the looks of the module it appeared to be
        > Thin-Film amorphous type, which although is guaranteed for ten years but
        > starts degarding in performance after sixth year. Since they are for
        > grid-tied use, the tracker seems to be motorized from utility power or
        > some other mechanism. I needed an explanation, but haven't heard from them
        > at all.

        They claim that the tracking mechanism is self-powered, so my guess would be
        that it uses the PV power it generates to move, and some kind of spring
        return mechanism. But I don't know for sure.
        I would give them a week or so to cool down, since there has been a lot of
        press about them lately.

        Paul

        > Bashir A. Syed

        "Other than telling us how to live, think, marry,
        pray, vote, invest, educate our children and, now,
        die, I think the Republicans have done a fine job
        of getting government out of our personal lives."