Heliotube

  • Paul Archer
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 30, 2006
      Has anyone looked into these: http://www.practicalinstruments.com/
      It's a CPV (Concentrating PhotoVoltaic) solution that mounts like a regular
      flat panel.

      Paul

      Never ascribe to malice what can perfectly
      well be explained by stupidity. -Anonymous
    • Bashir Syed
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 30, 2006
        Dear Paul:
        I looked at the product and called them twice and left the message. Also I sent them an e-mail to respond, but didn't hear from them. I had a few questions for them regarding the technolgy used for PV modules and price in $/Watt. From the looks of the module it appeared to be Thin-Film amorphous type, which although is guaranteed for ten years but starts degarding in performance after sixth year. Since they are for grid-tied use, the tracker seems to be motorized from utility power or some other mechanism. I needed an explanation, but haven't heard from them at all.

        Bashir A. Syed

        ------------ --------- --------- --------- -----

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 1, 2006
          Yesterday, Bashir Syed wrote:

          > Dear Paul: I looked at the product and called them twice and left the
          > message. Also I sent them an e-mail to respond, but didn't hear from them.
          > I had a few questions for them regarding the technolgy used for PV modules
          > and price in $/Watt. From the looks of the module it appeared to be
          > Thin-Film amorphous type, which although is guaranteed for ten years but
          > starts degarding in performance after sixth year. Since they are for
          > grid-tied use, the tracker seems to be motorized from utility power or
          > some other mechanism. I needed an explanation, but haven't heard from them
          > at all.

          They claim that the tracking mechanism is self-powered, so my guess would be
          that it uses the PV power it generates to move, and some kind of spring
          return mechanism. But I don't know for sure.
          I would give them a week or so to cool down, since there has been a lot of
          press about them lately.

          Paul

          > Bashir A. Syed

          "Other than telling us how to live, think, marry,
          pray, vote, invest, educate our children and, now,
          die, I think the Republicans have done a fine job
          of getting government out of our personal lives."