100% wind energy available from Reliant

  • chasmauch@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 19, 2006
      According to this article in today's Chronicle http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4344942.html
      Reliant Energy offers power generated 100% by wind but apparently does not advertise it very much, since the plan is only being promoted via Reliant's website. I checked the website (see link below) and it said (among other things) the following:

      The Reliant Energy Renewable Plan provides customers with electricity generated from 100 percent wind power. It is environmentally friendly because it creates no air pollution. The Renewable Plan costs slightly more than Reliant's standard service. For the average household in Houston using 1,500 kilowatt-hours a month, the extra cost would be equivalent to purchasing two movie tickets or about $15 a month.

      This might be a good alternative for those who want to use 100% renewable but for one reason or another do not want to deal with Green Mountain. I think the rates are about comparable (or are they?) Does anyone use this plan or have more info about it? Thanks.  Charlie M

    • rsaskew
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 26, 2006
        I signed up for Reliant's renewable plan last summer and its cheaper
        than GME's all wind plan (though comparable to their renewable mix of
        wind/hydro). What else is there to say, the lights are on and Reliant
        auto bills my credit card every month. Though I'm no fan of Reliant, I
        have to give them credit for slowly getting with the program. My guess
        is the reason they dont advertise it more is they have a limited supply
        and dont want demand to encourage building more. Who would buy all that
        dirty coal and nuclear they have so much of?

        Scott Askew
      • Bashir Syed

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 27, 2006

            Reliant is also adamantly opposed to the state mandate that all utilities are required to utilize some renewables as part of the Portfolio Standards for the State.  They recently testified against these standards with the argument that they opposed “subsidizing” renewables.  Talk about subsidies, have a closer look at the South Texas nuclear plant in Bay City .  Nuclear power plants have been subsidized to the tune of $260 billion dollars to date, can you imagine what impact that type of development subsidy would have on the renewable industry?

            ________________________

            Kevin Conlin

            Solarcraft, Inc.

            4007 C Greenbriar

            Stafford, TX 77477-4536

            Local (281) 340-1224

            Toll Free (877) 340-1224

            Fax 281 340 1230

            kconlin@...

            www.solarcraft.net

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 28, 2006
              TXU is the utility I'm most irritated with for their hardball program to flood the Texas electricity market with so many dirty coal-fired electricity generating plants and increase Texas air pollution so much.

              Another way to support wind electricity is to buy buy "renewable energy credits" to offset your dirty electricity from an online retailer such as www.txipl.org  It's cheaper that way.   If you buy a few more to also offset your driving, then your net impact on the climate is zero.  You become carbon neutral and have thus done your fair share of climate protection.

              Nan Hildreth

              At 12:38 PM 11/27/2006, Kevin Conlin wrote:

              Reliant is also adamantly opposed to the state mandate that all utilities are required to utilize some renewables as part of the Portfolio Standards for the State.  They recently testified against these standards with the argument that they opposed ┬ôsubsidizing┬ö renewables.  Talk about subsidies, have a closer look at the South Texas nuclear plant in Bay City.  Nuclear power plants have been subsidized to the tune of $260 billion dollars to date, can you imagine what impact that type of development subsidy would have on the renewable industry?

              ________________________

              Kevin Conlin

              Solarcraft, Inc.

              4007 C Greenbriar

              Stafford, TX 77477-4536

              Local (281) 340-1224

              Toll Free (877) 340-1224

              Fax 281 340 1230

              kconlin@...

              www.solarcraft.net

[...]

              Nan Hildreth, Houston
              713-842-6643

              "A vision of politics must be articulated that clarifies the essential moral issues at stake in any political discussion."  "The alternative to the passive politics of the status quo is a prophetic politics of personal and social transformation.  However, the movement from one to the other will change our very understanding of politics."

              Jim Wallis, The Soul of Politics: A Practical and Prophetic Vision for Change, 1994 www.sojo.net www.calltorenewal.com