Engineers without Borders (Central Houston) seminars and event

  • jgardiner9
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 16, 2006

      Thank you for having advertised Engineers without Borders (Central
      Houston) seminars regarding Renewable Energy on HREG's site this
      year.  There will be more in the future.

      Meanwhile, on Wednesday November 29 between 6.30 pm and 9.30 pm, EWB-
      Central Houston will be holding a networking/ fundraiser event at the
      St Arnold brewery at 2522 Fairway Park Drive, Houston, TX 77092,
      (www.starnold.com).  Tickets are $20 (in advance) with beer, soft
      drinks and snacks all included.  Contact Shalin Mody
      (shalin.h.mody@...) for tickets and more information.

      Please come along, bring your friends, and eat, drink and mingle for
      as long as you wish.  We're hoping that it will be a good networking
      opportunity and congenial social event for everyone.  It would be
      particularly great if you could come along to spread the R.E Word and
      share your individual experiences.  As you can imagine there's plenty
      of scope for renewable-energy elements in community-development
      projects and EWB-Central Houston would be able to incorporate more if
      we had more R.E. know-how.

      Have a great Thanksgiving in the mean time,
      James

      Description of EWB-Central Houston (www.ewbhouston.org):
      EWB-Central Houston welcomes volunteers from all backgrounds (not
      just engineers!) who are committed to improving the quality of life
      of people in disadvantaged communities around the world. Our members
      include professionals with experience in project management,
      engineering, public health, and community development, who
      participate in multiple activities, both engineering and non-
      engineering related. In southern India, we are working on potable
      water, sanitation and renewable-energy projects with two fishing
      villages that were devastated by the tsunami of December 2004. To
      date, we have drilled 16 wells, built two water-pumping stations, and
      installed solar-powered street lighting. We are currently designing a
      rainwater catchment system and sanitation infrastructure there. In El
      Salvador, we have completed the design of a retaining wall to prevent
      erosion at a community outside San Salvador and are set to begin
      construction this winter. In the same community we are organizing the
      drilling of a 60-meter deep well and undertaking preliminary site
      assessments for a sewer system.