Climate Meeting Sunday

  • Nan Hildreth
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 3, 2006
      This Sunday, November 3rd, is the monthly meeting of Houston Climate Protection Alliance.  Time is 2:30 pm at First Unitarian Universalist Church, 5200 Fannin.

      We'll tell you about our successes in climate protection and what you can do to help.  For example, our statewide coalition against the coal plants, got 17 media hits in the last two weeks for their vigil and hunger strike protesting the coal plants.  They urge us to remember to vote and then visit our Texas legislators asking them to speak up and not leave this important decision that will affect us for generations to Governor Perry.

      Find out how to contact your legislators on http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/

      Please say to them that you and Texas Cool Climate Coalition www.coolclimatecoaliton.org want
      ·         Coal Moratorium, let's take a moment to rethink Texas energy plans.
      ·         Comprehensive Energy Efficiency Legislation,
      ·         Serious renewable energy targets,
      ·         New Technology Standards.
      ·         Carbon emissions cap.

      More details on
      http://texasimpact.org/drupal/stopthecoalrush

      SAMPLE LETTER
      Today’s date

      The Honorable (Full Name)
      Texas House of Representatives/Senate/Governor’s Office
      (Address)
      (City), TX (Zipcode)

      Dear Representative/Senator (last name),

      I am writing to urge you to support a moratorium on the building of new coal plants.  I am a constituent of your district and member/leader of (list your main civic group and other reasons you have political significance).

      The rush to permit 19 new coal-fired electricity generating plants will affect the health and welfare of Texans for generations. It is too important to be made by one man without consulting the Legislature or the people of Texas.  Stop the coal rush!

      There are many reasons why Texas should think twice about building new coal plants:

      • Texas already leads the nation in global warming emissions.  The emissions from just the proposed new coal plants would more than offset all the global warming emissions reductions California recently adopted.
      • Texas air is already so polluted that more than half of Texans live in areas where the air fails to meet federal minimum health-based standards.
      • Coal-fired electricity generating plants are the largest source of environmental mercury.  The Center for Disease Control found that one out of every 10 U.S. women are at risk of having newborns with neurological problems due to mercury exposure in the womb.   Autism rates have zoomed in the last ten years.
      • Texas has more renewable energy potential than any other state in the country.  Texas’ renewable energy sources could provide enough power to meet 40 percent of US demand if they were developed.
      Legislators have several options for action, and they need to pursue all those options in the upcoming legislative session. .

      • Moratorium. Lawmakers could pass a resolution putting all new power plant permitting “on hold” pending a review of the health, environmental and global warming implications of proposed technologies along with a comprehensive analysis of alternative strategies and their comparative costs and benefits.
      • Comprehensive energy efficiency legislation. Efficiency is the cheapest, quickest, cleanest source of new energy. Lawmakers could adopt a package of energy-efficiency standards that would diminish Texas’ expected growth in electricity demand over the next several years enough to eliminate the demand for some or all of the proposed new coal-fired plants.  This would save Texans money through lower usage and lower rates.
      • New technology standards. Lawmakers could pass legislation requiring power plants built after a specific date to meet or beat industry “best practices” that would reduce (but not eliminate) new power plant emissions in Texas.
      • Serious renewable energy targets. Lawmakers could increase significantly Texas’ “renewable portfolio standard” (RPS) the percentage of electricity in the state that is required to come from renewable sources. Under current law, only about 10 percent of Texas’ electricity will have to come from renewable sources like wind and solar by 2015, but most Texans surveyed say they want more.
      • Carbon emission cap. Lawmakers could enact legislation similar to California’s recently enacted Global Warming Solutions Act of 2006 (AB32), which requires the state’s environmental agencies to adopt regulations to reduce statewide greenhouse gas emissions to 1990 emission levels by 2020.
      Will you support legislation for a moratorium on permits for new coal-fired electricity generating plants to give the Legislature time to study how best to protect Texas and Texans' health, environment, and prosperity?

      Sincerely,

      (Your name)
      (Your address)
      (Your phone number)

      Nan Hildreth, Houston
      713-842-6643
      www.HoustonClimateProtection.org

      "Global warming is the greatest moral and spiritual crisis facing Earth's people."  Unitarian Universalist Ministry for the Earth.

    • Nan Hildreth
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 7, 2007
        "How to teach a Low Carbon Diet Course". is on the agenda of the
        Houston Climate Protection Alliance meeting Sunday, 9/9 2:30 pm at
        First Unitarian Universalist Church.

        80 feet of sea level rise this century (plus or minus 30 feet) says
        Hansen. More info on both issues is published on
        www.HoustonClimateProtection.org

        Nan Hildreth NanHildreth@...
        Houston 713-842-6643

        Chaos theory says that change, creation occurs along the borderline
        between rigid order and random chaos. - Bill Ellis
      • Michael Ewert
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 8, 2007

          Nan,

          Please check your source and let us know about the claim of 80 ft sea level rise attributed to James Hansen.  I have not seen predictions that high.  I think it is very important to get our “facts” right and keep our opinions realistic so that people will take us seriously.

          Thanks,

          Mike

          Here’s what I found attributed to Dr. Hansen or his scientific group:

          “The West Antarctic ice sheet in particular is dangerously sensitive, with the potential to add over five metres to global sea levels within two centuries when collapsed.”

          http://beyondzeroemissions.org/media/2007/06/24/23/nasa-earth-peril-several-metre-sea-level-rise-century

          Recent observations of Greenland and the West Antarctic Ice Sheet raise concerns for the future. Satellites detect a thinning of parts of the Greenland Ice Sheet at lower elevations, and glaciers are disgorging ice into the ocean more rapidly, adding 0.23 to 0.57 mm/yr to the sea within the last decade. The West Antarctic Ice Sheet is also showing some signs of thinning. Either ice sheet, if melted completely, contains enough ice to raise sea level by 5-7 m. A global temperature rise of 2-5°C might destabilize Greenland irreversibly. Such a temperature rise lies within the range of several future climate projections for the 21st century. However, any significant meltdown would take many centuries. Furthermore, even with possible future accelerated discharge from the West Antarctic Ice Sheet, it highly unlikely that annual rates of sea level rise would exceed those of the major post-glacial meltwater pulses.

          http://www.giss.nasa.gov/research/briefs/gornitz_09/

          “The last time a large ice sheet melted sea level went up at a rate of five meters per century.”

          http://www.loe.org/shows/segments.htm?programID=07-P13-00005&segmentID=1

          Nan Hildreth NanHildreth@ riseup.net