Re: [hreg] Re: Compact Fluorescent Light bulbs

  • Ariel Thomann
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 31, 2006
      Thanks, but they don't seem to have dimmable small base lamps either. Oh, well...

      Ariel
      there is NO ONE who will help.
      ------------------------------------

    • robert gulick
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 1, 2006
        Does anyone know where you can buy CFLs at a price better than at our local Walmart or Home Depot?  Also with a better selection?

        Bob

> [...]
        > > office and all public areas, and have insulated our setback roofs."
        > > The goal of the campaign, which runs from Oct 4 to Nov 30, is to
        > > convince as many people as possible to make the "Change a Light"
        > > pledge, found at <http://www.energystar.gov>. Consumers pledge to
        > > replace at least one standard light bulb in their house with an
        > > ENERGY STAR qualified compact fluorescent bulb. Compact
        > fluorescent
        > > bulbs use one-third of the electricity that standard incandescent
        > > light bulbs use and last up to ten times longer. ENERGY STAR
        > > qualified bulbs come in sizes and shapes to fit almost any
        > fixture.
        > > Additionally, these energy-saving fluorescents produce only about
        > > 30% of the heat of standard incandescent bulbs, so they are safer
        > > operate and reduce home cooling requirements.

        Stay in touch with old friends and meet new ones with Windows Live Spaces Check it out!
      • beverly hanson
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 1, 2006
          I have heard that they are available at the Big Lots store.

          Beverly
          Does anyone know where you can buy CFLs at a price better than at our local Walmart or Home Depot?  Also with a better selection?

          Bob

          > To: hreg@yahoogroups.com
          > From: jhmatt692003@...
          > Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 19:16:26 +0000
          > Subject: [hreg] Re: Compact Fluorescent Light bulbs
          >
          > I'm not sure if you ever got an answer to this question. However, I
          > found a site that sells compact fluorescent lights.
          >
          > http://www.energyconservinglights.com/
          >
          > I stumbled upon the site while looking for something else. I hope
          > this help.
          >
          > James
          > --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, "edwardwanat" <edward.wanat@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Here is some information our president, Mike Ewert, has shared
          > with
          > > me about the EPA's "Change a Light" program. HREG is also trying
          > > get more Houstonians to use more energy efficient light bulbs. We
          > > offered a free compact fluorescent light bulb for every admission
          > > the solar home tour and hope to continue encouraging everyone to
          > use
          > > efficient light bulbs through public education at events such as
          > our
          > > next group meeting at the farmers market.
          > >

          > > How many light bulbs does it take to change the world? Only one,
          > > but it has to be the right kind, according to the Department of
          > > Energy. The EPA and the DOE kicked off their "Change a Light,
          > Change
          > > the World" campaign last week at a skyscraper famous for its
          > lights -
          > > - the Empire State Building.
          > > By exchanging just one light bulb for an ENERGY STAR qualified
          > > bulb, the DOE claims residents can save more than $30 in
          > electricity
          > > costs over the bulb's lifetime. "If every American household
          > changed
          > > a single light bulb to a high efficiency ENERGY STAR bulb, that
          > > would provide enough power to light more than 2.5 million homes,"
          &g! t; > EPA administrator Stephen Johnson said at the event.
          > > The Empire State Building recently underwent significant
          > upgrades
          > > to save electricity. The building's general manager, James
          > Connors,
          > > said, "We employ a dual energy source air conditioning system
          > using
          > > steam and electricity, we have replaced all 6,500 windows with
          > > double-glazed, paned, thermal efficient windows, reduced from 40
          > > watt to 32 watt lamps, with upgraded electronic ballasts in every
          > > office and all public areas, and have insulated our setback roofs."
          > > The goal of the campaign, which runs from Oct 4 to Nov 30, is to
          > > convince as many people as possible to make the "Change a Light"
          > > pledge, found at <http://www.energystar.gov>. Consumers pledge to
          > > replace at least one standard light bulb in their house with an
          > > ENERGY STAR qualified compact fluorescent bulb. Compact
          > fluorescent
          > > bulbs use one-third of the electricity that standard incandescent
          > > light bulbs use and last up to ten times longer. ENERGY STAR
          > > qualified bulbs come in sizes and shapes to fit almost any
          > fixture.
          > > Additionally, these energy-saving fluorescents produce only about
          > > 30% of the heat of standard incandescent bulbs, so they are safer
          > > operate and reduce home cooling requirements.
          > >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          > <*> Your email settings:
          > Individual Email | Traditional
          >
          > <*> To change settings online go to:
          > (Yahoo! ID required)
          >
          > <*> To change settings via email:
          > mailto:hreg-dig! est@yaho ogroups.com
          > mailto:hreg-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          Stay in touch with old friends and meet new ones with Windows Live Spaces Check it out!
        • H.C. Clark
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 1, 2006
            The free sample cfl's that HREG gave out last weekend at their meeting at the Bayou City Farmers' Market came from Lighting Inc., I think.
> [...]

            > fluorescent
            > > bulbs use one-third of the electricity that standard incandescent
            > > light bulbs use and last up to ten times longer. ENERGY STAR
            > > qualified bulbs come in sizes and shapes to fit almost any
            > fixture.
            > > Additionally, these energy-saving fluorescents produce only about
            > > 30% of the heat of standard incandescent bulbs, so they are safer
            > > operate and reduce home cooling requirements.
            > >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

            > <*> Your email settings:
            > Individual Email | Traditional
            >
            > <*> To change settings online go to:
            > (Yahoo! ID required)
            >
            > <*> To change settings via email:
            > mailto:hreg-dig! est@yaho ogroups.com
            > mailto:hreg-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            Stay in touch with old friends and meet new ones with Windows Live Spaces Check it out!
            !DSPAM:45489d75141652496022364!
          • NinaCorley@satorischool.net
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 1, 2006
              I have gotten some in the discount section of the arlans grocery store in my neighborhood...but I think they tend to get the things like big lots that are overstocked
> [...]

              > > light bulbs use and last up to ten times longer. ENERGY STAR
              > > qualified bulbs come in sizes and shapes to fit almost any
              > fixture.
              > > Additionally, these energy-saving fluorescents produce only about
              > > 30% of the heat of standard incandescent bulbs, so they are safer
              > > operate and reduce home cooling requirements.
              > >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

              > http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/hreg/
              >
              > <*> Your email settings:
              > Individual Email | Traditional
              >
              > <*> To change settings online go to:
              > http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/hreg/ join
              > (Yahoo! ID required)
              >
              > <*> To change settings via email:
              > mailto:hreg- dig! est@yaho ogroups.com
              > mailto:hreg- fullfeatured@ yahoogroups. com

              > http://docs. yahoo.com/ info/terms/

              Stay in touch with old friends and meet new ones with Windows Live Spaces Check it out!

              Checked by AVG Free Edition.
            • John Miggins
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 1, 2006
                I don't think you will get a better price than the big box stores, selection is another matter and your purchasing power makes a statement in what you support.

                Wholesale cost of CFL's is around $2.00 to $5.00 depending on the size and qty and quality. the more you buy the cheaper but you will not find quality at products at less than this.

                given this, the choice to me would be to only buy Energy Star rated bulbs, then I would try and support a local business such as Lighting unlimited or natural lighting, my local hardware store- remember them? you may pay a higher price but the driving and total cost is cheaper.  They still make sense at $5.00 per bulb.

                Buy local the money circulates in the economy and does more good, it also supports your neighbors.  We are all connected.

                How about supportung the company who donated the 750 bulbs to the Solar Home Tour, Lighting Unlimited, they can be reached at  www.lulighing.com
                another source is  www.naturallighting.com
                Larry Weber is a local business, a member of HREG and have a great selection.

                Buy Local

                just my two cents for today-

                John Miggins
                Harvest Solar & Wind Power
                "renewable solutions to everyday needs"
                www.harvest-energy.com
                Phone/Fax 918-743-2299
> [...]

                > > light bulbs use and last up to ten times longer. ENERGY STAR
                > > qualified bulbs come in sizes and shapes to fit almost any
                > fixture.
                > > Additionally, these energy-saving fluorescents produce only about
                > > 30% of the heat of standard incandescent bulbs, so they are safer
                > > operate and reduce home cooling requirements.
                > >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                > http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/hreg/
                >
                > <*> Your email settings:
                > Individual Email | Traditional
                >
                > <*> To change settings online go to:
                > http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/hreg/ join
                > (Yahoo! ID required)
                >
                > <*> To change settings via email:
                > mailto:hreg- digest@yahoogrou ps.com
                > mailto:hreg- fullfeatured@ yahoogroups. com

                > http://docs. yahoo.com/ info/terms/

                Stay in touch with old friends and meet new ones with Windows Live Spaces Check it out!

              • Garth & Kim Travis
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 1, 2006
                  An excellent $.02 worth.
                  Bright Blessings,
                  Kim

                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 2, 2006
                    Amen. I try to avoid 'big box' stores as much as possible, particularly WalMart. Let's
                    keep Mom'n Pop in business.

                    Ariel
                    there is NO ONE who will help.