Grid tie efficiency

  • Kevin Conlin
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 30, 2006
      Hi Folks, I'm afraid that I have to take exception to the statement that
      grid tie systems are 90% efficient. They are not. While it's true that the
      inverters may be 90% efficient or better, they are but one component in the
      system, and their losses must be multiplied by all the other losses in the
      system. For example, the California Energy Commission has done extensive
      research on this topic, and they rate most PV modules at 88% efficient.
      When you factor in other system losses, such as wiring, dirt accumulation,
      etc... the efficiency can drop as low as 67%. While I don't think this
      number is typical, an overall system efficiency of 78-80% is more realistic.
      For more information on how they estimated these losses, go to:

      Shortcut to: http://abcsolar.com/pdf/2001-09-04_500-01-020.pdf