RE: [hreg] Re: grid tied system

  • Sean Kaylor
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 30, 2006

      I noticed that the discussion began with dual wiring schemes. My father is a plans examiner in California and he has told me about the new electrical codes which address such issues. Apparently the DC system requires a plug arrangement that is not of the typical three prong setup so as to avoid confusion of mistakenly plugging DC equipment into AC equipment or vice versa. There are also several requirements regarding breaker capacity, segregation of systems and wire gauge, in short more work that few electricians know how to do.

      From my own experience with stand alone dual voltage arrangements I can testify that it is a pain and potentially very dangerous. I would much rather be shocked by 120 volts at a fraction of the amperage than low voltage DC operating at very high amperage. With modern efficient grid-intertie inverters and the pains associated with two wiring schemes I would have to say that DC is just not practical from a grid intertie perspective.

      Sean

      From: "Gary Beck" <eco@...>
      To: <hreg@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: RE: [hreg] Re: grid tied system
      Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 19:08:26 -0600

      Interesting - 100 watts when everything is �off�.  Times 100,000,000 households is 3000 Megawatts (or did I miss a zero?). If not, this is about 6 merchant power plants operating 24x7.

      If each house turned on just 3 � 60 Watt incandecent (hot) light bulbs, this jumps above 10,000 MW. So now 20 merchant plants each likely burning some type of fossil fuel and we have just 3 lights on.

      Actually, due to transmission and distribution losses, many more plants burning much more fuel. Solar-DC-Battery auxilary wiring for lighting alone sounds even better.