More about Coal Plants

  • Nan Hildreth
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 29, 2006
      Mike asked my comments on what the Governor replied in a letter to him supporting the coal plants.

      I want to thank the Governor for announcing on October 2, a public-private initiative for wind power.   He announced that a variety of companies have promised to invest ten billion dollars or more on new Texas wind power, starting in the spring on the condition that transmission lines are built.   The Public Utilities Commission says it will build the necessary lines. Perry said that the wind power will save `Texans as much as $5 billion over the next ten years. http://cbs11tv.com/local/local_story_275220541.html

      Mike,  I presume that you wrote the Governor about renewables, climate protection, and air pollution, but his response only talks about air pollution.   My guess it was a canned letter to sent to everyone.

      After the elections, Texas Cool Climate Campaign www.CoolClimateCampaign.org will be asking state legislators to pass a moratorium on the coal plants.  We're meeting in conference calls every Tuesday 9am.  HREG is invited to participate.

      Because Houston area State Representative Sylvester Turner is on the Regulated Industries Committee, we will be sure to talk to him.  His district is west of I-45 from 610-North past Beltway 8.  Are you in his district?

      Here is what I would say back to the governor in response to the letter he sent you.
      ·         I wrote you about climate protection, mercury poisoning and air pollution, but your letter only addressed air pollution issues.
      ·         Yes, TXU has promised to reduce emissions of nitrous oxide, sulfur and mercury, but emissions of carbon dioxide would increase enormously. http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/news/15801141.htm
      ·         Futuregen is not a proven technology but IGCC is.  Integrated Gasification Combined Cycle coal plants allow capture of 90% to 95% of mercury, allow capture of other air pollutants, and are sequestration-ready.  Without carbon-sequestration IGCC costs per kilowatt are 7-14% higher than old-style SCPC plants, but with sequestration, they are 9% to 15% lower.   IGCC plants have been operating for decades.  A Houston company has filed a permit request to build an IGCC plant.  Why is TXU saying it can't build IGCC plants?
      ·         Per kilowatt hour, building new power plants costs twice as much as programs to encourage energy efficiency.  The Department of Energy recommends spending from 1% to 3% of utility sales on efficiency, but Texas spends a third of a percent.  California,  on the other hand, has kept electricity demand growth nearly flat by it's focus on efficiency.
      ·         The mayor of Houston has promised to join in a lawsuit to stop these coal plants.   The mayors of Dallas and 15 other cities also oppose the plants.   So why is the Governor supporting them?

      Nan Hildreth, Houston
      713-842-6643
      www.HoustonClimateProtection.org

      "Global warming is the greatest moral and spiritual crisis facing Earth's people."  Unitarian Universalist Ministry for the Earth.