Efficiency Texas needs your help

  • David Power
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 26, 2006
      I've been working on tring to get the Efficiency rebate programs in
      texas properly funded (they run out of money in minutes these days).
      Please consider sending a letter to the puc.

      David Power

      Here's the form letter.

      Dear Friends:

      I'm writing to ask for your help on a policy matter of utmost concern:
      increasing our state's commitment to energy efficiency. We have filed
      a petition with the Public Utilities Commission of Texas, and, the
      commission has asked for public comment. This letter is simply asking
      that you join with us by sending in your letter.

      Please visit our website at www.efficiencytexas.org to download a
      sample letter of support to the PUCT. You will also find directions
      for submitting the letter.

      Energy efficiency programs work – they help curb rising electricity
      demand, save consumers money, offset the need for expensive new power
      plants and improve air quality. With escalating electricity prices due
      to increasing fuel costs, growing concerns about air pollution and a
      stressed electric power grid, energy efficiency has never been more
      important to the Lone Star State. It's time for Texas to significantly
      increase its commitment to energy efficiency.

      Efficiency Texas is a broad based coalition of electricity consumers
      that seeks increased access to and funding for Texas's energy
      efficiency programs. Efficiency Texas includes commercial building
      owners, retailers, restaurants, churches, environmental organizations
      and citizen groups. The Coalition represents over 40,000 retail
      stores, more than four million individuals and nearly one billion
      square feet of building and office space. Efficiency Texas wants to
      ensure that energy efficiency programs are available year-round and
      fully-funded to meet consumer demand.

      To meet its goals, Efficiency Texas filed a rulemaking petition with
      the Public Utility Commission of Texas (PUCT) on September 27. If
      adopted, our proposal will ensure increased customer access to the
      Texas efficiency programs and result in significantly increased
      funding for these programs. The PUCT has 60 days to reply to our
      petition.

      Before the PUCT determines what if any action to take, based upon our
      petition, the Commission seeks public comments on our petition.
      Comments are due by November 3, 2006.

      It is absolutely imperative that letters of support are sent to the
      PUCT ASAP!

      Please support the hard work of Efficiency Texas by sending a letter
      of support. We've made much progress since the late spring and stand
      on the verge of another significant victory if the PUCT moves to
      initiate a rulemaking on energy efficiency.

      Texas leads the nation in total and per capita electricity use, while
      Texas spending on energy efficiency is well below the national
      average. And, Texas demand for electricity continues to grow at one
      of the fastest rates in the U.S.

      With a significant increase in energy efficiency spending (and
      customer access), Texas can save billions of dollars, improve its air
      quality and lower electricity demand. Please write the PUCT to support
      our petition!

      Please visit our website at www.efficiencytexas.org to download a
      sample letter of support to the PUCT. You will also find directions
      for submitting the letter.

      Please act today so Texas can increase its energy efficiency as soon
      as possible. If you have questions, please contact Mark R. Stover,
      Director of Efficiency Texas, at 512-279-0757, or at
      mstover@...