Re: [hreg] Energy action meeting

  • Nan Hildreth
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 17, 2006
      6pm.  Aaron from Environment Texas in Austin called the meeting and will ask folks bird-dog candidates for Congress in District 22, DeLay's old district.

      At 03:44 AM 10/17/2006, you wrote:
      Nan:

      What time does this meeting start?

      Patricia Wickers
      EnviroBuild
      281-847-0044

      From: "Aaron Mercier" <amercier@...>
      Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 13:58:27 -0500

      Fired Up About Energy Prices?
      Worried Where Your Gas Money is Going?
      Stand Up and Do Something About it!!

                America is at an energy crossroads. With our dependence on fossil fuels leaving us vulnerable to volatile oil and gas prices, with war raging in the middle east, and the gathering storm of global warming, it is clear that we need to change our course on energy. The good news is, Texans are ready to put American ingenuity and innovation to work and create real solutions for a sustainable future. The only thing lacking is the political will to make it happen. That’s why Environment Texas is asking residents of the 22nd congressional district to join us in calling on congressional candidates Nick Lampson, Sekula-Gibbs and Smither to commit to making the Promise of a New Energy Future a Reality so we can:

      --Reduce our dependence on foreign oil by using 1/3 less oil than we do today by 2025 (this amount represents 80% of the oil we import)

      --Get 25% of all our energy needs from renewable sources by 2025.

      --Use energy efficiency technology for homes, businesses and appliances to reduce our nation’s total energy usage by 10% from current levels by 2025.

      --Triple our national investment over the next decade for the research and development of new renewable and energy efficiency technologies to help meet these goals.

                  If we as a nation follow through on a commitment to this platform, we can put ourselves on a sound footing to address the mounting challenges associated with our current energy and industrial scheme. We can begin to avert the worst effects of global warming and the ongoing environmental catastrophe of coal, reducing our consumption by 900 million tons of coal per year.

                  On Tuesday, we will offer you the opportunity to learn more about the organization and the background on the platform. We will talk about how you can get involved by engaging the candidates publicly and in person on energy policy issues, and answer any questions you may have about the issue, our group, or the campaign. If you’re too curious to wait, you can learn more, and sign our online petition at www.environmenttexas.org

      Who: Environment Texas

      What: Community Meeting

      When: Tuesday, October 17

      Where: Van Loc Restaurant (3010 Milam, Houston, 77006, 2 blocks west of Main Street and 2 blocks north of Elgin which is also called Westheimer)

      Why: To unite the voices of concerned citizens to call on our leaders to make the right choices on energy policy.

      Aaron Mercier
      Environment Texas Field Associate
      1009 W. 6th St.
      Austin, TX 78703
      Office: (512) 236-0646
      Cell: (614) 432-1122
      amercier@...

      Nan Hildreth,  Houston 713-842-6643

      "Virtually every progressive issue, ... traces its roots to the cultures and institutions of Empire. ... we resolve them all by putting Empire behind us ... As the stories of Empire nurture a culture of domination ... so the stories of Earth Community nurture a culture of partnership, redefine prosperity and security, ... and call us to find our place of service in Creation's epic quest."  The Great Turning, by David Korten  http://www.davidkorten.org/Books/greatturning.htm

      Do you Yahoo!?