Re: [hreg] Fast in protest of Coal Plants

  • Nan Hildreth
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 12, 2006
      You may be right.  But great journeys begin with a single step.  The next step in climate protection is slowing down this rush to permit so many new coal plants.

      Californians said today that our proposed Texas coal plants would negate all their efforts at climate protection.  Will you join us in the fast or write the Governor at http://www.governor.state.tx.us/contact

      At 10:06 PM 10/12/2006, Charles L. Seaman wrote:
      How about Global Dimming? Together with Global Warming and Global Dimming I will say that within 200 years we will be lucky to have many people alive on this earth if we do not STOP our current rate of Green Gas production. I will say that we need to develop hydrogen energy sources instead of coal plants and that they need to be developed on a reasonable emergency basis.
      Charles L. Seaman

      I'll be joining the fast to protest the injustice of 19 proposed coal plants in Texas.  Will you support us by either publicly fasting, emailing your blessing to karen@..., or by asking Governor Perry to stop fast-tracking the proposed coal plants at http://www.governor.state.tx.us/contact
      Nan Hildreth 713-842-6643

      From: Karen Hadden <karen@...>
      Subject: Invitation to support Hunger Strike/ Fast for the Right to Breathe
      Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 12:21:05 -0500
      Hi, I'm writing to ask your support of an event designed to shed light on the fast-track permitting of dirty coal plants in Texas, the Hunger Strike for the Right to Breathe.
      Nineteen proposed coal plants would add more smog-forming nitrogen oxides, sulfur, global warming gases and toxic mercury to our air. There are cleaner ways to meet our energy needs,
      including renewable wind and solar energy, as well as energy efficiency.
      We've written letters, testified, talked to media and worked with candidates for Governor. We've worked with Texas mayors, who are now organizing to intervene in the permits,
      and with local communities and major cities downwind that would be impacted by these plants. We've won one recent battle in the State Office of Administrative Hearings.
      The judges recommended the TCEQ deny the permit for a huge, two unit lignite coal plant proposed by TXU for Robertson County. Candidates for Governor have spoken out on
      this issue. Still, TXU and other utilities may get their permits if we don't increase the pressure.
      We're organizing a hunger strike starting Oct. 25th, and you are welcome to join in. It come in conjunction with the anniversary of Governor Perry's Executive Order, that
      expedited permits for coal-burning power plants in Texas. This order is now being challenged legally.
      If you'd like to fast for one or more days in solidarity with this effort, it would help pressure our leaders to work for cleaner air. If you choose not to fast but want to be listed as
      a supporter, please send that response as well. Here's some more information, and background information, articles and fact sheets are online at www.StoptheCoalPlant.org < http://www.stopthecoalplant.org/> .
      Thanks!   Karen Hadden, 512-797-8481

      Statewide Hunger Strike/ Fast for the Right to Breathe Healthy Air!
      Enough talk, enough children with inhalers, enough mercury poisoning…
      It’s time for action, and a statewide hunger strike is being planned to let our leaders know we are serious about demanding clean air to breathe, especially for our children, for elderly loved ones, and those who already suffer from breathing and cardiac impairment, or cancer.
      The hunger strike begins Wednesday, Oct. 25th, and will highlight the anniversary of Gov. Perry’s dirty coal plant fast-track permitting order on Oct. 27, 2005.
      Please let us know if you would like to hunger strike in solidarity with this action, We will be drinking liquids during this time, and urge everyone to do the same. It doesn’t matter where you do your hunger strike – but we’d like to know how many people are involved, and what area you live in. Please undertake the hunger strike only if your health allows.  More info will be posted later online at www.StoptheCoalPlant.org < http://www.stopthecoalplant.org/> .
      Email the following information to karen@...:

      Name _________________________________________
      Address________________________________________
      City, state, zip___________________________________
      Email _________________________________________
      Phone _________________________________________
      Days:  Oct. 25 ____ Oct. 26 ____ Oct. 27 ____  Maybe more ____
      ____ You may provide my name to media contacts.
      ____ I will not be fasting, but would like to be listed as a supporter for this event.
      A hunger strike is a powerful action that will be used to demonstrate our serious intentions. We welcome participation, but please consider your current state of health. Please be aware that individual participants are responsible for any health consequences, and that organizers assume no liability for any health or medical consequences. Thank you.

      Karen Hadden
      Executive Director
      Sustainable Energy and Economic Development (SEED) Coalition
      1801 Westlake Dr. #209
      Austin, Texas 78746
      512-797-8481
      fax: 512-306-1359

      www.seedcoalition.org < http://www.seedcoalition.org/>  and www.StoptheCoalPlant.org < http://www.stopthecoalplant.org/
      Nan Hildreth,  Houston 713-842-6643
      "Virtually every progressive issue, ... traces its roots to the cultures and institutions of Empire. ... we resolve them all by putting Empire behind us ... As the stories of Empire nurture a culture of domination ... so the stories of Earth Community nurture a culture of partnership, redefine prosperity and security, ... and call us to find our place of service in Creation's epic quest."  The Great Turning, by David Korten http://www.davidkorten.org/Books/greatturning.htm