Spammers

  • Garth & Kim Travis
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 8, 2006
      Richard Smith has been removed from the list and his messages have
      been removed from the archives. I just discovered them and dealt
      with this. I have already been yelled at by prospective members of
      this list for daring to decide who gets on this list and who
      doesn't. This is the first time in a very long time, like 5 years,
      that we have had a problem like this. If anyone who complained would
      like my duties, you are welcome to them. You obviously don't
      appreciate the hours I put in on keeping this list clear.
      Bright Blessings,
      Kim
    • Katherine Hannah
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 8, 2006
        Thank you very much for your efforts and your diligence.

        KH
      • Robert Johnston
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 8, 2006

          No complaining here!  You do a great job, and I appreciate it!

          Spam is a sad fact of internet life, and one can whack at it but never eliminate it entirely.

          Robert

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 8, 2006

            Thanks Robert.  I guess I am a little cranky, I spent yesterday helping a newly widowed friend clear her husbands stuff out, so for the first time in years, I went over 36 hours without looking at my computer.  You just have to know that is when trouble hits.

            For those who don't know how this list works, there are only two moderators.  Mike Ewert and I.  If the list wants all spam stopped, we would need 3 or 4 more moderators to handle the work load.  The approval process would have to be expanded to approve not only membership, but to moderate the first few messages of every new member.  Considering we have had 16 people apply for membership in the last week alone, the work load could really pile up.

            This last spammer probably saw our ads for the solar home tour and figured that everyone who had authority to stop him, would be busy.  The timing of this spam is rather telling.

            Bright Blessings,
            Kim