Re: [hreg] From hurricane resistant PV systems -> solar hot water

  • Susan Silvano
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 4, 2006
      Cabana: Double french doors facing west, but with a veranda overhang
      of about 8 feet. Two largish windows facing south, toward the
      harbor. None east.
      Kid's house: Lots of windows and a couple of sliding glass doors
      facing south, toward the harbor, some with verandas. One west, no
      overhang. Four east, no overhang.
      Our house: (just starting) Will have eight sliding glass doors
      facing south, toward the harbor, with six of them under the veranda
      overhang of 13 feet. Five large windows with no overhang. Just two
      large windows and a glass door facing west. Four windows and a glass
      door facing east.

    • Ariel Thomann
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 4, 2006
        OK, here's my crazy idea, and it's one I haven't seen in any book on passive solar
        design. It goes back to my high-school physics and what I learned there about what
        happens to light when it hits glass. Normally it goes right on through, and that's what
        a window is all about. However, if you get your cheek against a window and look at the
        glass, you will see that a short distance from you it starts acting as a weak mirror,
        and as look at it further away, it acts totally as a mirror and you can't see anything
        on the other side. It's total reflection; check out the following:
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_internal_reflection

        It seems to me that if you lean your window outward at the top (probably 10 degree angle
        suffices for your latitude; it will vary slightly depending on type of glass, will also
        be slightly different for UV and IR) it will reflect back out essentially all the direct
        sunlight (thus making your floor OUTside that window very hot...). That angle would be
        for noontime sun on the summer solstice; it would take substantially greater tilt to do
        the job at other times of the year and day. But you might find that your solar heat
        gain goes down a fair bit, at a relatively low cost.

        Side effect: when you look from inside out at night, you will see only ceiling
        reflections. And, oh, looking from outside in at night would be totally transparent
        (but you may need to do something to keep pets, kids and other retards from crashing
        into the glass -- adults too, I guess).

        I'm sure 99% of builders will think it's crazy, so discuss it instead with someone who
        knows optics better than I do. Enjoy.

        Let me know the outcome!

        Ariel
        there is NO ONE who will help.
        ------------------------------------

      • Susan Silvano
        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 4, 2006
          What a cool idea! I'll have to find someone who knows about optics -
          it sounds like it could work....

        • Lunce
          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 4, 2006
            That reflective detail was the hallmark of Gunnar Birkerts. The detail
            involves using two curved mirrors to bring indirect light into the
            space. He used that detail on many of his projects (widely published
            once, but I was not able to find a site with that famous detail on short
            notice)

            Many years ago, I experienced that detail at the Museum of Glass at
            Corning, NY. It is a fascinating detail - however creating an extremely
            busy space inside. Through the curved mirror surfaces one would
            experience the motion of cars moving up and curved along in most
            fasinating directions....It works well in a space that can stand that
            much movement. Unfortunately for much of the Corning glass museum they
            were showing very small fine objects - I remember one room where they
            showcased delicate escavated 2nd century glassware. To avoid the
            movement from exterior, they used a thin curtain floor to ceiling on the
            inside of those rooms which "quiet down" the space. I remember feeling
            enormous disappointment then, thinking that the application did not
            serve the contents that the space was designed for. And also that the
            brilliance of that detail was eradicated by the use of a simple
            semi-sheer curtain. Now, more than 20 years later, my interpretation is
            somewhat altered -the architect succeeded in bringing the indirect
            light, and the user succeeded in altering the space to suit the exhibit
            eliminating the distractions and soften the light to a soft glow.

            Lunce

          • Henry H. Haynes
            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 5, 2006

              If you do, open them & enjoy that great Caribbean breeze.

              HHH

              ------------ --------- --------- ------

              > In the USVI, we are not required to use solar water heaters, but many
              people do,
              > simply because the cost of electricity is so ridiculous. Would you believe
              that the
              > kwh just went up to 30 cents in July???
              >
              > In answer to your question: we bought one 50 gallon solar water heater
              which serves
              > the cabana (easily). The cost was 1895.00, and the rebate was 700.00. We
              also
              > bought two 80 gallon water heaters; they were 2450.00 each and the rebate
              on this
              > size was 850.00 each.
              >
              > We are now trying to find the most efficient, hurricane resistant and cost
              effective
              > way to use solar power for each of the three houses (cabana, daughter/son- in-law,
              > ours). Any suggestions would be great!
              >
              > Susan
              >
              > On Oct 3, 2006, at 1:06 PM, Ariel Thomann wrote:
              >
              >> Oh, while on the subject of St.
              Thomas houses, I'd like to re-
              >> ignite an earlier
              >> 'string'. I understand in most of the Lesser
              Antilles houses are required to use
              >> solar
              >> water heaters (since they need to import all their fossil fuels at
              absurd costs).
              >> Is
              >> that true for St. Thomas ?
              If so, how much do those systems cost there?

              >> Ariel
              >> - We are all Human beings here together. We have to help one
              >> another, since otherwise
              >> there is NO ONE who will help.
              >> - All countries need a NO REGRETS strategic energy policy. Think ahead
              7
              >> generations.
              >> ------------ --------- --------- ------
              >>
              >>> So, it sounds like you strap them down as tightly as possible, and
              then you take
              >>> your
              >>> chances. From those of you with experience with putting PVs on
              your roof, how
              >>> does
              >>> this affect your insurance?
              >>>
              >>> Susan, good luck w/ your St.
              Thomas house. (said w/ a little
              >>> envy) Let us know how
              >>> it works out. That is a little like hurricane ally.
              >>

              >> Yahoo! Groups Links

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Andrew McCalla
              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 5, 2006

                All,

                See attached for a testimonial image from a hurricane-surviving array.  Notice that most all of the shingles have been removed, but the array is intact.

                Essentially, a system can be engineered to stay put in most any set of conditions reasonable.  The key there is “engineered”.   Uplift loads and pullout strengths can be carefully calculated, but I think the main problem for an array in one of these storms, against which safeguards are difficult to implement, is flying debris.

                Andrew H. McCalla

                NABCEP Certified Solar PV System Installer (TM)

                Meridian Energy Systems

                2300 S. Lamar, Ste. 107

                Austin, TX   78704

                Voice: (512) 448-0055

                Fax:    (512) 448-0045

                www.meridiansolar.com

              • Susan Silvano
                Message 7 of 20 , Oct 5, 2006
                  Yes, I've heard about the problems with flying debris, and know that for some people, the solution is to take the panels down, but that is way too big a job when you have lots!!

                  On Oct 5, 2006, at 9:15 AM, Andrew McCalla wrote:

                  All,

                  See attached for a testimonial image from a hurricane-surviving array.  Notice that most all of the shingles have been removed, but the array is intact.

                  Essentially, a system can be engineered to stay put in most any set of conditions reasonable.  The key there is “engineered”.   Uplift loads and pullout strengths can be carefully calculated, but I think the main problem for an array in one of these storms, against which safeguards are difficult to implement, is flying debris.

                  Andrew H. McCalla

                  NABCEP Certified Solar PV System Installer (TM)

                  Meridian Energy Systems

                  2300 S. Lamar, Ste. 107

                  Austin, TX   78704

                  Voice: (512) 448-0055

                  Fax:    (512) 448-0045

                  www.meridiansolar.com

                  <Hurricane Array.jpg>

                • Susan Silvano
                  Message 8 of 20 , Oct 5, 2006
                    Thanks, Lunce. I'll do some more research on Bikerts. I hate to
                    sound like a dummy, but would the curtain have to be drawn all day/
                    night to "quiet down" the space?

                  • (no author)
                    Message 9 of 20 , Oct 5, 2006
                      Please note I've changed the Subject title again -- 'tilted' fits better than 'angled'.

                      Interesting. I'll have to google Gunnar Birkerts. I remember discussing the tilted
                      window idea with the (strange but brilliant) late Roger Rasbach some 30 years ago, but
                      as I recall he wasn't interested in any ideas he hadn't incorporated into his "provident
                      planner" house in The Woodlands. By the way, if that house still exists at 2701
                      Wildwind, Wilding Estates, it would be interesting to visit it for next year's solar
                      tour.

                      But I digress. I'm proposing to reflect away direct sunlight when it is not wanted in
                      the house, yet allowing skylkight in. I think what you describe at the Corning Glass
                      museum is something else; I'm talking about cheaply just tilting plain old flat-glass
                      windows.

                      Ariel
                      there is NO ONE who will help.