Re: Green Space- 11 street park endangered

  • Jessica Drummond
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 3, 2006

      The Nature Conservancy buys land for preservation.  Usually they look for larger spaces to save specific habitats or biodiversity, but for a small urban space that may not be too costly they might be willing to help.  I’m a member and would be happy to contact them if anyone knows how much it would cost to save the park, where it is exactly, etc., etc.

      Jessica

      http://www.thegreenadventure.blogspot.com

      Join the adventure!

    • bridgetjensen
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 3, 2006
        It's great that the City is willing to help (perhaps it's really the
        Houston Parks Board, which was set up by the City to match funds
        raised for City Parks).

        I know it might be a tough uphill battle, but why not lobby the HISD
        Board? After all, they are an elected body that has to be
        accountable to the citizens who elected them.

        Another organization that may be of assistance, though it already has
        a lot on its plate, is the Trust for Public Land. I don't exactly
        know how to contact them, but you could probably find something if
        you hunt through its website www.tpl.org

        Bridget Jensen

        --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, "John Miggins" <jmiggins@...> wrote:

        > Boy or GirlAll, a really nice public park area on 11 th street, a
        pocket park is endangered with more development.
        > Let your city councilman know we have enough townhomes, and let's
        preserve this 20 acres for future generations.

        > From a concerned neighbor- are there any companies looking for
        green investments out there?

        > We are experiencing an interesting fight in the neighborhood right
        now. We have a 20+ acre vacant nature preserve that is going to be
        sold by HISD to a townhome developer unless money can be raised to
        help to city buy it for a park. Do you know any 'green' companies
        that would contribute to this cause?

        > The City will match whatever we raise and if it doesn't work,
        they'll get their money back.

        > How much would it take?
        >

        > John Miggins
        > Harvest Solar & Wind Power
        > "renewable solutions to everyday needs"
        > www.harvest-energy.com
        > Phone/Fax 918-743-2299
        > Cell: 918-521-6223

      • John Miggins
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 3, 2006
          That is the spirit Jessica, thank you, money needed is 3.5 million, see the flyer, the city or park board is matching this to come up with the 7 million needed to save it. seems like a lot of money but this is nice land.

          John Miggins

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 3, 2006
            One of my crazy ideas -- does that piece of land itself to an educational urban harvest
            garden with participation of HISD? (it should be better protected legally than the
            ill-fated one in L.A.)

            Ariel
            there is NO ONE who will help.