Green Space- 11 street park endangered

  • John Miggins
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 2, 2006
      Boy or Girl
      All, a really nice public park area on 11 th street, a pocket park is endangered with more development.
      Let your city councilman know we have enough townhomes, and let's preserve this 20 acres for future generations.

      From a concerned neighbor- are there any companies looking for green investments out there?

      We are experiencing an interesting fight in the neighborhood right now.  We have a 20+ acre vacant nature preserve that is going to be sold by HISD to a townhome developer unless money can be raised to help to city buy it for a park.  Do you know any 'green' companies that would contribute to this cause?

      The City will match whatever we raise and if it doesn't work, they'll get their money back.

      How much would it take?

      John Miggins
      Harvest Solar & Wind Power
      "renewable solutions to everyday needs"
      www.harvest-energy.com
      Phone/Fax 918-743-2299
      Cell: 918-521-6223

    • Ethan Beeson
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 2, 2006
        Contact the Houston Park Board, a non-profit organization whose board is appointed by the mayor.  This organization was started for such situations.

        www.hpbinc.org

        ethan

        On Oct 2, 2006, at 1:49 PM, John Miggins wrote:

        All, a really nice public park area on 11 th street, a pocket park is endangered with more development.
        Let your city councilman know we have enough townhomes, and let's preserve this 20 acres for future generations.

        From a concerned neighbor- are there any companies looking for green investments out there?

        We are experiencing an interesting fight in the neighborhood right now.  We have a 20+ acre vacant nature preserve that is going to be sold by HISD to a townhome developer unless money can be raised to help to city buy it for a park.  Do you know any 'green' companies that would contribute to this cause?

        The City will match whatever we raise and if it doesn't work, they'll get their money back.

        How much would it take?

        John Miggins
        Harvest Solar & Wind Power
        "renewable solutions to everyday needs"
        www.harvest-energy.com
        Phone/Fax 918-743-2299
        Cell: 918-521-6223

        <11 street park.pdf>
        <Talking points letter - 11th Street Park.doc>

      • Jessica Drummond
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 3, 2006

          The Nature Conservancy buys land for preservation.  Usually they look for larger spaces to save specific habitats or biodiversity, but for a small urban space that may not be too costly they might be willing to help.  I’m a member and would be happy to contact them if anyone knows how much it would cost to save the park, where it is exactly, etc., etc.

          Jessica

          http://www.thegreenadventure.blogspot.com

          Join the adventure!

        • bridgetjensen
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 3, 2006
            It's great that the City is willing to help (perhaps it's really the
            Houston Parks Board, which was set up by the City to match funds
            raised for City Parks).

            I know it might be a tough uphill battle, but why not lobby the HISD
            Board? After all, they are an elected body that has to be
            accountable to the citizens who elected them.

            Another organization that may be of assistance, though it already has
            a lot on its plate, is the Trust for Public Land. I don't exactly
            know how to contact them, but you could probably find something if
            you hunt through its website www.tpl.org

            Bridget Jensen

            --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, "John Miggins" <jmiggins@...> wrote:

            > Boy or GirlAll, a really nice public park area on 11 th street, a
            pocket park is endangered with more development.
            > Let your city councilman know we have enough townhomes, and let's
            preserve this 20 acres for future generations.

            > From a concerned neighbor- are there any companies looking for
            green investments out there?

            > We are experiencing an interesting fight in the neighborhood right
            now. We have a 20+ acre vacant nature preserve that is going to be
            sold by HISD to a townhome developer unless money can be raised to
            help to city buy it for a park. Do you know any 'green' companies
            that would contribute to this cause?

            > The City will match whatever we raise and if it doesn't work,
            they'll get their money back.

            > How much would it take?
            >

            > John Miggins
            > Harvest Solar & Wind Power
            > "renewable solutions to everyday needs"
            > www.harvest-energy.com
            > Phone/Fax 918-743-2299
            > Cell: 918-521-6223

          • John Miggins
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 3, 2006
              That is the spirit Jessica, thank you, money needed is 3.5 million, see the flyer, the city or park board is matching this to come up with the 7 million needed to save it. seems like a lot of money but this is nice land.

              John Miggins

              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 3, 2006
                One of my crazy ideas -- does that piece of land itself to an educational urban harvest
                garden with participation of HISD? (it should be better protected legally than the
                ill-fated one in L.A.)

                Ariel
                there is NO ONE who will help.