LED lighting

  • mike
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 19, 2000

      FYI:

      I found this on slashdot.

      Mayor Quimby writes: "EETimes reports that LED guru Shuji Nakamura predicts

      White LEDs to overtake the light bulb Mr. Nakamura is an amazing guy who is given substantial credit in the development of blue and white LEDs. Other articles about him can be found here and here. He "works from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., 355 days a year, and says he has never taken a vacation." Also, check out this circuit board found in an LED flashlight that uses a single AA battery. It'll be nice when low cost knockoffs start flooding in from the Far East." I can vouch for the life of white-LED flashlights -- the ones I purchased more than a year ago from Holly Solar are still on their first sets of AA batteries. Not as bright as incandescents, but plenty for lighting up a tent or to keep from stumbling on a trail.
    • Steve Shepard
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 19, 2000
        I have seen this article before and most of it is pretty accurate.
        I have also conduct business with Holly Solar in the past and I can share from experience he is a vendor that cannot be trusted.

        SBT Designs
        25840 IH-10 West #1
        Boerne, Texas 78006
        210-698-7109
        www.sbtdesigns.com

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 20, 2000
          Sorry, looks like the links didn't copy correctly, so I listed them seperately:

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 20, 2000
            Thank you for asking and reminding me that despite our negative experiences with competitors and other associates in the industry that I need to remember that none of us are perfect and we all struggle to do the best job we can with the resources we have.

            Please allow me to retract any negative comments and I ask the group to accept my apologies.

            Ultimately, let the buyer beware.

            SBT Designs
            25840 IH-10 West #1
            Boerne, Texas 78006
            210-698-7109
            www.sbtdesigns.com
            Hi Steve,  I haven't done business with Holly Solar in the past, but do keep an eye on his products.  Would you care to elaborate on your comment, is it the products that don't work,  or just the wrong company to but them from?  I've referred several inquiries to his site, don't wish to do so if Holly is not reputable.  Regards,   Kevin Conlin

            Mayor Quimby writes: "EETimes reports that LED guru Shuji Nakamura predicts

            White LEDs to overtake the light bulb Mr. Nakamura is an amazing guy who is given substantial credit in the development of blue and white LEDs. Other articles about him can be found here and here. He "works from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., 355 days a year, and says he has never taken a vacation." Also, check out this circuit board found in an LED flashlight that uses a single AA battery. It'll be nice when low cost knockoffs start flooding in from the Far East." I can vouch for the life of white-LED flashlights -- the ones I purchased more than a year ago from Holly Solar are still on their first sets of AA batteries. Not as bright as incandescents, but plenty for lighting up a tent or to keep from stumbling on a trail.

          • Kevin L. Conlin
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 20, 2000
[...]

            • Marge Wood
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 3, 2001
                where is Holly Solar? mwood

                On Wed, 20 Dec 2000 05:50:09 -0600 "mike" <mlandrus@...> writes:
                > Sorry, looks like the links didn't copy correctly, so I listed them
                > seperately:
                >
                > http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=00/12/15/1948213&mode=thread
                > http://www.eet.com/story/technology/OEG20001212S0034
                > http://www.sciam.com/interview/2000/070500nakamura/
                > http://www.businessweek.com/1999/99_24/b3633068.htm
                > http://cmgequipment.com/infled.html
                > http://www.hollysolar.com/
                >
                > Mayor Quimby writes: "EETimes reports that LED guru Shuji Nakamura
                > predicts White LEDs to overtake the light bulb Mr. Nakamura is an
                > amazing guy who is given substantial credit in the development of
                > blue and white LEDs. Other articles about him can be found here and
                > here. He "works from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., 355 days a year, and says he
                > has never taken a vacation." Also, check out this circuit board
                > found in an LED flashlight that uses a single AA battery. It'll be
                > nice when low cost knockoffs start flooding in from the Far East." I
                > can vouch for the life of white-LED flashlights -- the ones I
                > purchased more than a year ago from Holly Solar are still on their
                > first sets of AA batteries. Not as bright as incandescents, but
                > plenty for lighting up a tent or to keep from stumbling on a trail.
              • Tom Simpson
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 4, 2001
                  Click on the last web URL listed to go to their web page. It is pretty impressive.