Using Natural Gas for Power Plants and/or Heating?

  • Jonathan Clemens
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 18, 2000
      HREG,

      The following article is written by someone I would call an expert in particulate matter (PM) pollution, particularly (pun intended) due to the emissions from fossil-fueled power plants.  We see the history of the EPA's look at PM, estimates of amounts from power plants, and an alarming notice of the ill-effects of particulate matter in the air.  Houstonians need to be aware of this situation, as it is every bit as serious, if not more, than the ozone hazard for which Houston is so well known.

      Jonathan

      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 18, 2000
        HREG,

        This fine article is a follow on to Dian Deevey's message I recently
        forwarded. Ned Ford cautions us about not fully understanding the science
        behind particulate matter pollution and the economics of natural gas versus
        other fuels. Read the previous article first, I suggest, while those of you
        interested in science and economics can read on. His main point is that
        2.5M (micron) PM with NG may be different from 2.5M with diesel, which may
        be different from 2.5M with coal burning. Good point, for there are
        differing levels of other toxins associated with each of the fuel types'
        particulates.

        This article restates the importance of efficiency measures in the coming
        decade, with RE coming in full stride later. Ned emphasizes the importance
        of DSM (Demand Side Management), which we touched upon at our last general
        meeting.

        Jonathan