ethanol vs biodiesel

  • Steven Deterling
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 21, 2006
      The special September 2006 edition of _Scientific American_ is devoted to Energy Solutions for a Sustainable World. I've only started reading it, but one article quickly caught my attention:

      "Biodiesel is Better"

      Petroleum alternatives include renewable fuels such as biodiesel, derived primarily from soybeans, and ethanol, distilled mostly from corn grain. In the first comprehensive analysis of the energy gains and environmental impact of both fuels, University of Minnesota researchers determined biodiesel to be the better choice. Ethanol from corn grain produces 25 percent more energy than all the energy people invested in it, whereas biodiesel from soybeans returns 93 percent more. Compared with fossil fuels, ethanol produces 12 percent fewer greenhouse gas emissions, whereas biodiesel produces 41 percent fewer. Soybeans also generate significantly less nitrogen, phosphorus and pesticide pollution. Dedicating all current U.S. corn and soybean production to biofuels, however, would meet only 12 percent of gasoline demand and 6 percent of diesel demand. Prairie grass may provide larger biofuel supplies with greater environmental benefits, the scientists reported online July 12 via t!
      h!
      e _Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA._

      You can find that article at:
      http://www.pnas.org/cgi/content/abstract/103/30/11206?maxtoshow=&HITS=10&hits=10&RESULTFORMAT=&fulltext=biodiesel&searchid=1&FIRSTINDEX=0&resourcetype=HWCIT

      or

      http://tinyurl.com/hl377

      Steven Deterling

      Stop the Forest Service from killing more wolves, bears, cougars, and other animals in the wild:
      http://go.care2.com/99055

      http://www.Care2.com Free e-mail. 100MB storage. Helps nonprofits.