Re: Oh, no! Arrrrgghhh! Any others?

  • James Ferrill
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 18, 2000
      --- In hreg@egroups.com, jclem412@a... wrote:
      > HREG,
      >
      > I do not have much RE project experience, but I did blow out the
      internal
      > fuse in my electric bike battery. During installation and checkout
      of the
      > solar energized bike, I shorted the battery output wires together.
      No poof,
      > no pop, just no positive numbers on my volt meter. The lesson to me
      was to
      > not have the same length wire for battery output leads when those
      leads are
      > connected with in-line connectors - different lengths (1-1/2 inches)
      would
      > preclude accidental shorting. The fuse was a 40 Amp, but I can only
      find 30
      > "Ampers" at the auto parts store. Any ideas where I can get a 40
      Amp prong
      > type fuse?
      >
      > Jonathan

      Check out DigiKey on this page http://www.digikey.com/EC/V3P2.html

      Those links are .pdf files. You can also download their entire catalog
      in sections or one large file. Once you find the part number, you can
      order online.

      James Ferrill
    • James Ferrill
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 18, 2000
        I didn't lose much. That inverter/UPS was a $50 ebay special. I
        couldn't afford the inverter I wanted at the time, and I wanted a
        cheap unit so I could put the solar power to use. I'll probably turn
        it into a expansion battery case for one of my in-house UPS units and
        end up with a few spare parts as well.

        I was going to put in a larger inverter for the production unit
        anyway, with one of those Trace DC250 breakers to make the
        installation neat and up to code. That old UPS had a really high
        standby current draw, almost 1.5 amps @ 24V. It really took a bite out
        of the batteries at night.

        James

        --- In hreg@egroups.com, Andrew McCalla <andrew@m...> wrote:
        > James,
        >
        > Thank you for coming forward with your power outage snafu.
        >
        > Believe me, you are not the first to make this mistake. I have
        smelled
        > plenty of inverters that smell like yours probably does.
        >
        > Andrew
      • Kevin L. Conlin
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 18, 2000
          Jonathan, Bussman makes a 40A automotive type fuse, as well as smaller
          amperages, such as 1 and 2 that are not normally available at auto parts
          stores. You can buy them commercially from Tri-Star Electronics if you have
          an account, 713 667 7200, or get your local auto parts store to order them
          for you, part number ATC 40. I'm guessing Tri-Star has a minimum order amt.
          Web site is www.tristarelectronics.com regards, Kevin
          > Thank you for coming forward with your power outage snafu.
          >
          > Believe me, you are not the first to make this mistake. I have smelled
          > plenty of inverters that smell like yours probably does.
          >
          > Jonathan,
          >
          > If your manufacturer can't help you, I usually go to Digi-Key for any
          > exceptionally wacky fuse requirements.
          >

          > Andrew
          >

          > At 08:02 AM 12/18/00 -0500, you wrote:
          > >HREG,
          > >
          > >Speaking on behalf of the group, I have to say - we're with you James.
          > >
          > >I invite the group to share members' own oopses, ouches, darn its, etc.
          We