RE: [hreg] Fw: Codes Compliance Stakeholders Meeting 09/13/06

  • Kevin Conlin
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 19, 2006

      Hi Rob,  That’s very interesting, but don’t be discouraged by the past actions of some scam artists. As you probably already know, the main man behind FUEL was also convicted of other scams, Marvin Zindler knew him well.

      As a former DHW contractor, I think providing a quality installation will greatly enhance your chances of success.  It is a valuable and much needed service and will grow as energy prices rise. Left to their own means, it is almost guaranteed the homeowners will commit errors, some of which can result in extensive damage, such as frozen pipes in the attic.  Believe me, it happened a LOT!  At the very least you should provide them with detailed guidelines warning of all the potential mistakes they should avoid, as well as guidelines on how to select components.  It’s not simple or straight forward, but if you give your customers proper guidance, the systems will work properly and you will be successful.

      You mentioned your lawyer.  How does he feel about your liability if the homeowner makes an expensive mistake because he did not have detailed instructions.  You know he is looking to blame someone.  I don’t know what type of systems you are selling, but I urge you to consider installations.  With a good crew you can usually install a system in 1-2 days, you get to add value and assure customer satisfaction.  It’s not risky if you do it right.

      Best of luck with your new venture!

      Best Regards,  Kevin

      Kevin Conlin

      Solarcraft, Inc.