[hreg] HREG summary

  • mike.ewert@att.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 1999
      Hello all,

      I'm sorry that it took a while for me to put out a
      message after our last meeting at NASA, but I've been
      on vacation and then catching up. I thought we had a
      good meeting. It was great to see so many of you! I
      thought I counted 23, but there are only 21 on the
      sign-in sheet, 10 of whom stayed for the business
      meeting.

      I'm going to try to summarize where I feel we stand
      with the group, but first I'll start with leadership
      news. Charles Mauch felt like he couldn't continue to
      be acting president, so after some negotiation, we came
      up with the following volunteer positions:
      Mike Ewert - acting president
      Steve Stelzer - acting vice-president
      Kim Travis - acting secretary
      We are keeping the "acting" titles until the group
      becomes more formal and/or we have a more formal
      election. Think about whether you are willing to play
      a leadership role in HREG - having active leaders will
      be important to the success of the group. By the way,
      thank you to Kim for already starting the e-group!

      OK, here is my summary of what the HREG has discussed
      and decided, going all the way back to our first
      meeting at the end of last year. Feel free to respond
      if you remember things differently or have something to
      add.

      The focus of the group will be renewable energy,
      including energy conservation considerations - hence
      the name - Houston Renewable Energy Group. The group
      is a citizen's organization, open to anyone. The
      primary interest of the group is learning more about
      renewable energy use in the Houston area and sharing
      that knowledge to improve our community. We do not
      plan to focus on business or political activities.

      Since no one has a lot of time to devote to the group,
      we would like to keep or functions and organization
      simple. We might consider becoming an un-incorporated
      501c3 non-profit organization in time, if that isn't
      too much work.

      We would like to pursue at least an unofficial
      affiliation with the Texas Solar Energy Society
      (TXSES), acting as their local group. We will
      encourage, but not require, members of HREG to join
      TXSES. At present, HREG has no plans for dues. TXSES
      has annual dues of $25.

      Ideas for group activities include public exhibits such
      as Earth Day festivals, a tour of solar homes, speakers
      and solar construction projects.

      Since we cover a wide geographic area, we plan to use
      electronic communication to reduce the need for
      face-to-face meetings. We would like to make Texas
      Southern University (TSU) our regular meeting place.

      Many have expressed an interest in energy efficient and
      solar homes. Therefore, I propose this topic for our
      next meeting. Also, I think we should create a list of
      several activities for the group, such as the ones I
      listed above, through an on-line discussion. Then we
      can vote, or find some way to prioritize them and get
      started on the first.

      I close with a slogan used by TXSES and I look forward
      to hearing from all of you soon.

      The Solution Comes Up Every Morning!
    • Chuck Wright
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 2, 1999
        mike.ewert@... wrote:

        > Hello all,

        > We would like to pursue at least an unofficial
        > affiliation with the Texas Solar Energy Society
        > (TXSES), acting as their local group. We will
        > encourage, but not require, members of HREG to join
        > TXSES. At present, HREG has no plans for dues. TXSES
        > has annual dues of $25.

        It's really nice to see you guys getting going.

        I am interested in figuring out ways to boost the whole
        Texas renewables scene. I think something that makes
        sense is to figure out how TXSES can do statewide things
        that help local RE groups (I would also like to see REACT,
        the unofficial Austin area RE group take on most of the
        local Austin activities).

        What sorts of things do you Houston folks think TXSES
        could do that would make it worth joining?

        Ideas...
        - regular newsletter of state activities
        - prepared materials (like the fact sheets)?
        - coordinate speakers, state events
        - prepared programs (probably more of a repository
        than a source)
        - RE Library

        Please comment!

        Thanks.

        --
        Chuck Wright
        http://home.earthlink.net/~chucklesw
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 3, 1999
          Hi Mike,

          I think gratitude is in order here--thank you so much for being willing
          to lead the Houston group in its formative stages! Hopefully, we can
          work together to support each other's efforts.

          It would be really great to get even a small tour of homes organized for
          the National Solar Homes Tour, which is scheduled for Oct. 16th this
          year. I am organizing a very big tour in the Central Texas area, which
          has more homes to choose from than we can include on a one day tour. If
          your group wants to take this on, perhaps a few of us could meet to
          allow me time to give you my years worth of experience in organizing
          tours. It is a bit late to start, but if you focused on even 3-6 sites,
          it could still be done. Media is the key! Leonard Bachman
          (713/743-2372) should have some ideas for sites, as should LaVerne
          Williams, a Houston architect who is a long-standing TXSES member. He
          is at 713/528-0000; with some other folks to lend a hand, he might get
          encouraged enough to spearhead your efforts. My list of renewable
          architects also includes two others I am unfamiliar with, but they might
          come up with something for you: ABO, Inc. at 713/681-4511 and MCCM
          Architects at 713/523-6070.
          Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
          Kathryn Houser, Director
          TXSES
          800/465-5049
        • mike.ewert@att.net
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 8, 1999
            Thanks for the encouragement from the state level.
            Regarding your question, this doesn't exactly apply
            to the whole state, but many of our members have
            asked "what practical renewable energy things can I
            do (to my house) in Houston?". Some of the experts
            in Austin could help us answer this question and I'm
            sure some things apply no matter where you live in
            the state. Speakers or fact sheets or even e-mail
            messages could be used. "Product reviews" might be
            another way to look at it.
            > mike.ewert@... wrote:
            >
            > > Hello all,

            > > We would like to pursue at least an unofficial
            > > affiliation with the Texas Solar Energy Society
            > > (TXSES), acting as their local group. We will
            > > encourage, but not require, members of HREG to join
            > > TXSES. At present, HREG has no plans for dues. TXSES
            > > has annual dues of $25.

            > It's really nice to see you guys getting going.
            >
            > I am interested in figuring out ways to boost the whole
            > Texas renewables scene. I think something that makes
            > sense is to figure out how TXSES can do statewide things
            > that help local RE groups (I would also like to see REACT,
            > the unofficial Austin area RE group take on most of the
            > local Austin activities).
            >
            > What sorts of things do you Houston folks think TXSES
            > could do that would make it worth joining?
            >
            > Ideas...
            > - regular newsletter of state activities
            > - prepared materials (like the fact sheets)?
            > - coordinate speakers, state events
            > - prepared programs (probably more of a repository
            > than a source)
            > - RE Library
            >
            > Please comment!
            >
            > Thanks.
            >
            > --
            > Chuck Wright
            > http://home.earthlink.net/~chucklesw

            > eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/hreg

          • Chuck Wright
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 8, 1999
              mike.ewert@... wrote:

              > Thanks for the encouragement from the state level.
              > Regarding your question, this doesn't exactly apply
              > to the whole state, but many of our members have
              > asked "what practical renewable energy things can I
              > do (to my house) in Houston?". Some of the experts
              > in Austin could help us answer this question and I'm
              > sure some things apply no matter where you live in
              > the state.

              This is an interesting question, Mike. I have several
              thoughts:

              Anyone, feel free to ask any questions, and I will try
              to connect you with people for answers.

              Part of the basis of "green building" is responsiveness
              to the local climate. An optimal design in Austin might
              not be best for Houston, and of course, El Paso would
              be quite different. You folks have Leonard Bachman,
              who is quite expert on passive solar and on the local
              climate. And, he's taught workshops, too. I would be
              most interested in knowing more about how Houston
              design would be different.

              There are quite a few PV installations around here,
              and alot of information to be had. But, you folks
              probably have the same around Houston.

              I have done some "renewable" things to my house:

              - My solar water heater is very effective (how good are
              they in Houston? Are particular designs more suitable
              for Houston (how often and hard does it freeze?).
              By the way, Gary Vliet has taught some workshops
              on such things.
              - I bought a new refrigerator which uses about a third
              of the electricity of the old one.
              - I also installed a setback thermostat.
              - Also, have done some shading of windows, as I have
              become very interested in heat gain effects from diffuse
              solar radiation.

              I don't know what's responsible for most of the savings,
              but my electricity usage has declined considerably.

              > Speakers or fact sheets or even e-mail
              > messages could be used. "Product reviews" might be
              > another way to look at it.

              Take a look at my personal web page for stuff that I have
              written up. One item is test results of the "PowerPlanner"
              device that you may have seen at Home Depot, claiming to
              save lots of energy on motor-driven appliances (it doesn't).

              At the TXSES board meeting yesterday, we agreed that
              we would like to consider you folks to be a "chapter", if
              you agree. There are no obligations. I think we can offer you
              some space on the TXSES web page (http://www.txses.org -
              check out what we do with EPSEA, who actually have more
              stuff than TXSES), which needs some updates (to be done
              soon).

              - C

              http://home.earthlink.net/~chucklesw
            • JClem412@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 25, 1999
                I would like to volunteer as a respresentative to Austin. Jonthan Clemens