Oh, no! Arrrrgghhh! Any others?

  • jclem412@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 18, 2000
      HREG,

      Speaking on behalf of the group, I have to say - we're with you James.

      I invite the group to share members' own oopses, ouches, darn its, etc. We
      are all destined to have moments like James had last week with his lighting
      system.

      I do not have much RE project experience, but I did blow out the internal
      fuse in my electric bike battery. During installation and checkout of the
      solar energized bike, I shorted the battery output wires together. No poof,
      no pop, just no positive numbers on my volt meter. The lesson to me was to
      not have the same length wire for battery output leads when those leads are
      connected with in-line connectors - different lengths (1-1/2 inches) would
      preclude accidental shorting. The fuse was a 40 Amp, but I can only find 30
      "Ampers" at the auto parts store. Any ideas where I can get a 40 Amp prong
      type fuse?

      Jonathan
    • Andrew McCalla
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 18, 2000
        James,

        Thank you for coming forward with your power outage snafu.

        Believe me, you are not the first to make this mistake. I have smelled
        plenty of inverters that smell like yours probably does.

        Jonathan,

        If your manufacturer can't help you, I usually go to Digi-Key for any
        exceptionally wacky fuse requirements.

        Andrew

        At 08:02 AM 12/18/00 -0500, you wrote:
        >HREG,
        >
        >Speaking on behalf of the group, I have to say - we're with you James.
        >
        >I invite the group to share members' own oopses, ouches, darn its, etc. We
        >are all destined to have moments like James had last week with his lighting
        >system.
        >
        >I do not have much RE project experience, but I did blow out the internal
        >fuse in my electric bike battery. During installation and checkout of the
        >solar energized bike, I shorted the battery output wires together. No poof,
        >no pop, just no positive numbers on my volt meter. The lesson to me was to
        >not have the same length wire for battery output leads when those leads are
        >connected with in-line connectors - different lengths (1-1/2 inches) would
        >preclude accidental shorting. The fuse was a 40 Amp, but I can only find 30
        >"Ampers" at the auto parts store. Any ideas where I can get a 40 Amp prong
        >type fuse?
        >
        >Jonathan

        Andrew H. McCalla
        Meridian Energy Systems, Inc.
        Solar-Electric System Design, Installation, and Service.
        P.O. Box 5810
        Austin, TX 78763
        Tel: 512-477-3050
        Fax: 512-477-3035
        www.meridiansolar.com
      • James Ferrill
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 18, 2000
          --- In hreg@egroups.com, jclem412@a... wrote:
          > HREG,
          >
          > I do not have much RE project experience, but I did blow out the
          internal
          > fuse in my electric bike battery. During installation and checkout
          of the
          > solar energized bike, I shorted the battery output wires together.
          No poof,
          > no pop, just no positive numbers on my volt meter. The lesson to me
          was to
          > not have the same length wire for battery output leads when those
          leads are
          > connected with in-line connectors - different lengths (1-1/2 inches)
          would
          > preclude accidental shorting. The fuse was a 40 Amp, but I can only
          find 30
          > "Ampers" at the auto parts store. Any ideas where I can get a 40
          Amp prong
          > type fuse?
          >
          > Jonathan

          Check out DigiKey on this page http://www.digikey.com/EC/V3P2.html

          Those links are .pdf files. You can also download their entire catalog
          in sections or one large file. Once you find the part number, you can
          order online.

          James Ferrill
        • James Ferrill
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 18, 2000
            I didn't lose much. That inverter/UPS was a $50 ebay special. I
            couldn't afford the inverter I wanted at the time, and I wanted a
            cheap unit so I could put the solar power to use. I'll probably turn
            it into a expansion battery case for one of my in-house UPS units and
            end up with a few spare parts as well.

            I was going to put in a larger inverter for the production unit
            anyway, with one of those Trace DC250 breakers to make the
            installation neat and up to code. That old UPS had a really high
            standby current draw, almost 1.5 amps @ 24V. It really took a bite out
            of the batteries at night.

            James

            --- In hreg@egroups.com, Andrew McCalla <andrew@m...> wrote:
            > James,
            >
            > Thank you for coming forward with your power outage snafu.
            >
            > Believe me, you are not the first to make this mistake. I have
            smelled
            > plenty of inverters that smell like yours probably does.
            >
            > Andrew
          • Kevin L. Conlin
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 18, 2000
              Jonathan, Bussman makes a 40A automotive type fuse, as well as smaller
              amperages, such as 1 and 2 that are not normally available at auto parts
              stores. You can buy them commercially from Tri-Star Electronics if you have
              an account, 713 667 7200, or get your local auto parts store to order them
              for you, part number ATC 40. I'm guessing Tri-Star has a minimum order amt.
              Web site is www.tristarelectronics.com regards, Kevin